DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,

So I just did something stupid when I was picking up dinner in my new LX Coupe. Everything was fine on the way there, I parked and went in the restaurant to grab my food. I went back to my car and was getting ready to leave, nobody was parked in front of me so I thought "Oh perfect, I will just pull forward since that is easier than backing up". So I hit the gas, notice the car raises a little bit and then BOOM.

I freaking drove over a parking curb that I didn't see in front of me :(. It made a loud banging noise as if I smacked a metal pan off of a tabletop.

The loud noise happened after the front wheels cleared the parking curb and landed back onto the ground. I admit I didn't notice that there was not only 1 parking curb, but TWO. In retrospect I definitely should've went into reverse instead of continuing forward. There was no scraping noise, just a loud bang when landing, and it only happened right after the front wheels cleared the curb (no noise in the rear). This was kind of a bad day to begin with so I wasn't thinking clearly. Here's a pic of what I ran over.
Honda Civic 10th gen Drove over parking curb curb

I realized what had happened after the first boom, and then it was too late and the second boom was imminent. I invented some new swear words after the landing but immediately parked again so that I could check out my car. I couldn't find a single scratch luckily. I got on my hands and knees and looked under the vehicle all around - looked fine. (However I admit I just bought the car last week and am still not 100% certain of what the underside should look like.) The exhaust looked low to me, but I haven't really looked under the car since I purchased it. By low I mean it is just lower than the rest of the components under the vehicle. No dents were visible.

So I drove home still kind of pissed off and tried listening for any weird noises. I didn't notice anything until I parked at my apartment and left the vehicle on. When the A/C and music was off I could hear a "ticking" noise coming from the engine. Its not super loud but definitely noticeable from inside the car. I hadn't noticed this before, but again I have only had the car for a week. So I took a look under the hood and this is the sound I am talking about:

Does this sound normal? And should I be worried about any other damages? I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer just to have it checked out for a peace of mind, although they will probably charge me. I am probably just being paranoid but any advice from my fellow civic owners would be much appreciated!
Sponsored

Dem0nz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 H Civic HatchBack RR
Vehicle Showcase
Yup you are okay you most likely hit the skid plate, its a metal piece makes a nice boom sound when you hit it. As for going over the curbs I would just check your alignment see if the wheel stays straight while your driving over 20 mph if so you probably did not knock it out of specs, last that ticking noise is normal on the new civics, my 2017 civic hb makes that noise all the time never goes away only time I don't hear it is when I have the windows up and music on. Also civic sedans and coupes are lower than my hb from the factory like um wth!! so messed up lol

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I'm also thinking you damaged the under car cover. Not a huge deal, as I think it is mainly for aerodynamics. Hopefully you didn't bend anything structural. Engine sounds normal.

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
cringe, oh man that sucks! Hopefully that's the worst thing that ever happens to it! Engine sounds just like mine.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
Did the same thing in my 2010 Civic, no damage. In my 2012 Si I was backing up from a pump and there was a curb divider sticking out I didn't see, put a wheel up on it and slowly brought it back down, that one required an alignment.

You shouldn't worry about it too much but if you really do, have the alignment checked which is covered for free for so many miles after your purchase, most are off from the factory after shipping so it's not a bad idea anyways.

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man that really sucks!

I would bring it to the dealer for peace of mind. The thing is brand new, why risk it? Even if it costs you a few bucks...

shermanatoorr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 2017
Country flag
Yeah the engine sounds fine. When I first installed my intake on my new HB, I thought I had messed something up since that rattling sound wouldn't stop and idk if it was there before I installed the intake or not.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seems like you dodged a bullet but not getting any scratches or damage to the car itself. The engine does sound normal. If anything else continues or seems out of whack, take it to the dealership.

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thats probably happened more often than you think, and cars are probably all fine, you'd hit the jack points behind the front wheel if anything and that is strong

OP
OP
DrToothache

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup you are okay you most likely hit the skid plate, its a metal piece makes a nice boom sound when you hit it. As for going over the curbs I would just check your alignment see if the wheel stays straight while your driving over 20 mph if so you probably did not knock it out of specs, last that ticking noise is normal on the new civics, my 2017 civic hb makes that noise all the time never goes away only time I don't hear it is when I have the windows up and music on. Also civic sedans and coupes are lower than my hb from the factory like um wth!! so messed up lol
So far so good on the alignment, but I might get it checked anyways since I am under factory warranty. Thanks for the input man. Your HB looks awesome. Maybe that extra height will save you if you ever pull a dumb move like myself and drive over a parking curb!

Yeah, I'm also thinking you damaged the under car cover. Not a huge deal, as I think it is mainly for aerodynamics. Hopefully you didn't bend anything structural. Engine sounds normal.
I am thinking this is the case as well. After evaluating under the vehicle for the 10th time it looks like the bolts that hold in the skid plate are scraped up, but other than that I can't find anything. I am not sure if my exhaust is low after the incident or not, I am going to post some pics of that next most likely. Thanks for the input man.

cringe, oh man that sucks! Hopefully that's the worst thing that ever happens to it! Engine sounds just like mine.
Yeah it sucks. I should've paid more attention :(. I really hope that nothing else happens to my coupe after this haha.

Did the same thing in my 2010 Civic, no damage. In my 2012 Si I was backing up from a pump and there was a curb divider sticking out I didn't see, put a wheel up on it and slowly brought it back down, that one required an alignment.

You shouldn't worry about it too much but if you really do, have the alignment checked which is covered for free for so many miles after your purchase, most are off from the factory after shipping so it's not a bad idea anyways.
Thanks for the input. I might just take her to the dealer and get the alignment checked so that I don't have to worry about it.

Man that really sucks!

I would bring it to the dealer for peace of mind. The thing is brand new, why risk it? Even if it costs you a few bucks...
I think I am going to take your advice and make a trip to the dealer just to get it checked out. You're right the thing is brand new. Even though I think everything is okay, in the back of my mind I am still somewhat worried haha.

Yeah the engine sounds fine. When I first installed my intake on my new HB, I thought I had messed something up since that rattling sound wouldn't stop and idk if it was there before I installed the intake or not.
Glad to hear that it is normal. I think that I was just paranoid about everything right after the accident haha.

Seems like you dodged a bullet but not getting any scratches or damage to the car itself. The engine does sound normal. If anything else continues or seems out of whack, take it to the dealership.
thats probably happened more often than you think, and cars are probably all fine, you'd hit the jack points behind the front wheel if anything and that is strong
Thanks guys. I will keep an eye on it, but I think I am going to listen to the general consensus hear and just have the dealership take a look just in case.
Sponsored