Dropped Wrench Somewhere in the Engine Bay

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The past 24 hours have been very eventful.

Last night the battery on my 2018 Si (48k miles) died without warning (I've read the OEM batteries are crap). After removing the OEM battery, I made the grave mistake of leaving the hood up while going to purchase a new battery. While I was away, my 10-year old decided to play mechanic and dropped my wrench somewhere in the engine bay.

I can't find it. I've looked for hours to no avail. I don't own any jacks. Should I have it towed to a mechanic? Drive it to the end of the driveway with the hope that it falls out? Could it potentially screw up something if I start it up?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not 10 years old but I did the same thing as your kid. :eek: I found the tool by going under the car and removing that engine undertray. Worth a shot right?

Last edited:

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
I recently dropped a stud in the engine bay and didn't hear it hit the ground. Turns out that the battery/tray sits on top of a pretty hefty metal bracket. It took about 10 bolts or so to remove it, but that's where the stud was (to the right side if you're facing the engine bay). A 3 minute job took about 30. Maybe take a look there.

OP
OP
Vegas Viking

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I recently dropped a stud in the engine bay and didn't hear it hit the ground. Turns out that the battery/tray sits on top of a pretty hefty metal bracket. It took about 10 bolts or so to remove it, but that's where the stud was (to the right side if you're facing the engine bay). A 3 minute job took about 30. Maybe take a look there.
As someone who is mechanically DEclined, even changing the battery was being adventurous for me. He thinks he dropped it toward the front of the bay.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
As someone who is mechanically DEclined, even changing the battery was being adventurous for me. He thinks he dropped it toward the front of the bay.
If you don't have a way to get under the car carefully, you can try reach under the front and banging on the undertray with your hand. You might hear the wrench bouncing around if it fell to the bottom.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I would remove the under tray where you change the oil. 9 times out of 10 it’s right there. You don’t know how many times I’ve dropped my sockets and then having to take extra time just to get to it. You can use the Honda jack in desperation but I would not go under the car without a jack stand and I wouldn’t trust those emergency jacks with my life if I had to go under the car with that. But if you have a jack stand under there it gives me a little confidence and faith that’ll save me in the event all goes to hell.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just yesterday I was replacing my shifter cable bushings on the tranny levers. I was attempting to put that metal c clip back in and it sprung off and fell down the engine bay... My heart sunk as I heard a metal *thunk* as it hit the metal underbody tray. Luckily, with the battery and battery tray removed, it gave me enough room to stick my hand down and blindly reach for it!

Worth a shot to take the battery out again and reach down in there. If worse comes to worse, you can get a pair of jack stands and a 2 ton jack under $100 at an auto parts shop. Worth keeping it since Honda doesn't even provide a screw jack with the car... Not sure if you guys have business closures in your area with the recent pandemic situation or not.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
If you don't have a way to get under the car carefully, you can try reach under the front and banging on the undertray with your hand. You might hear the wrench bouncing around if it fell to the bottom.
yea this will work, i had the tiny nut from the battery drop all the way down to my bottom tray, bumped it around then grabbed it from the hole in the bottom of the tray.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Just some advice that anyone who wrenches on their own cars should have a magnetic pick-up tool and one of those bendy spring claw pick-up tools. Get them BEFORE you need them.

OP
OP
Vegas Viking

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Update: I purchased a magnetic tool finder and still didn't find it. Logically I thought to myself, "OK self - the engine itself is completely enclosed. The only exposed parts are the fan (which I was able to turn with no problem) and the belts. Given the weight of the wrench it's unlikely that it's sitting on a belt."

I took a chance and started the car. No problems so far. I drove to the end of the driveway and spiritedly around the cul-de-sac hoping it would fall out. No wrench. I guess it's a new fixture of my engine bay. :dunno:

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
:confused1:
Update: I purchased a magnetic tool finder and still didn't find it. Logically I thought to myself, "OK self - the engine itself is completely enclosed. The only exposed parts are the fan (which I was able to turn with no problem) and the belts. Given the weight of the wrench it's unlikely that it's sitting on a belt."

I took a chance and started the car. No problems so far. I drove to the end of the driveway and spiritedly around the cul-de-sac hoping it would fall out. No wrench. I guess it's a new fixture of my engine bay. :dunno:
Plot twist: your kid never actually dropped it in the engine bay, he actually forgot that he put it somewhere else, and you find it 3 years later in some obscure place in your house:confused1:

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag

The only place that wrench should fall is on the under body panels. So, may be it didn't fall at all. It's not a socket it's a wrench it will make a thud sound at least when you go on bumps :hmm:

OP
OP
Vegas Viking

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
:confused1:
Plot twist: your kid never actually dropped it in the engine bay, he actually forgot that he put it somewhere else, and you find it 3 years later in some obscure place in your house:confused1:
Knowing my kid, that isn't beyond the realm of impossibility. :doh:
Sponsored