First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Hey everyone,

New guy here. Just bought a new black civic si 18 a few weeks ago and did several cosmetic mods to it. I tinted my foglights yellow (lamin-x) and it got me wondering. Is it okay to drive around California or in general with foglights on at night even when theres no fog? I just like the look of having them but I don't want to be blinding anyone (They are stock bulbs so idk if they are blinding or not). Would it give the cops a legitimate reason to pull me over? My previous car did not have foglights so I'm new to this.

Thanks for yo time yall!
Sponsored

JJTHESIPLANE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
We don't even get fog in Hawai'i and I drive with it on all the time at night :dunno: and I don't think the stock bulbs are bright enough to blind anyone loooool. I drive with it on purely because I have it hahaha

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I find the stock bulbs don't do anything in fog or inclement weather as far as helping my forward vision no matter what color laminx I've used.
I do find that they put a little more light off to the sides ,so leave them on all the time .

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I use auto lights with fogs on, because they provides more light. I know you're not supposed to have them on (except during foggy situations), but it looks good and it doesn't blind anyone.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I drove it in fog with the oem fog lights on and I didn’t notice any visibility improvement. The fogs don’t seem to shoot out far enough. So I use them purely for fashion and added yellow glow right in front and side of the car

Last edited:

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm pretty sure there is no law against driving with your fogs on, especially with the stock bulbs. For me, there is very little added benefit sight wise with stock bulbs. I use them mainly for aesthetics, and only when it's cloudy/raining outside or at night. Basically anytime you are supposed to have your headlights on. I think it's kinda lame to ride with them when it's sunny out.

aegeanbluecivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic SGP Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I see a majority of cars equipped with fog lights using them at every opportunity in San Diego. I recently started using it myself and it makes me feel great as I'm driving at night.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I use them because it makes the light beam wider. Shines down into the ditches and will help see deer earlier, hopefully.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Other than seeing better out on the sides, fogs are worthless to me. They look cool but other than that, they're not all that helpful. The stock bulbs do nothing . The ones I have in at the moment are much brighter. Waiting for the weather to get a little better to drop in the HIDs.

mcbacon

First Name
Vinney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX w/Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While it's not illegal to drive with them on in clear conditions, you actually harm your distance vision by doing so.

mechanical42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wife Prius, 2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I drive with them in Cali at night. It's fine no issues. About half of the cars on the road I see drive with them as well.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the headlights are on, the fog lights are on. They provide additional low level light and genuinely helps in foggy situations on my way to work. The freeway can really fog up on my 4:30AM trip to work and the yellow cuts right through it.

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Other than seeing better out on the sides, fogs are worthless to me. They look cool but other than that, they're not all that helpful. The stock bulbs do nothing . The ones I have in at the moment are much brighter. Waiting for the weather to get a little better to drop in the HIDs.
The ability to see better to the sides is the main reason I drive with them on whenever the headlights are on. I have a 70 mile round trip commute to work with half of those being on two lane rural roads. I'm also a shift worker, so many of those trips are made in darkness.

With all of the critters running around out there, I want to be able to see them as soon as I can. Everybody knows what kind of damage can be done from an encounter with a deer, but hitting a big ass raccoon, possum or dog can do some serious damage to your bumper, grille, etc. as well.

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
I only use them when it’s foggy or heavy rain. I also have the yellow Laminx film on them, probably cuts light output by a bit, but mostly on there for that little bit of protection from road debris.
Sponsored