First Name
Vijay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic - 2016 LX Sedan
Country flag
Hi,
I recently bought a 2016 Civic, LX, Sedan (pre-owned) with around 16k miles on it.
This weekend I need to drive around 400 miles to reach a destination.

This could a be naive question. But, how long I can drive the car without stopping? So that I am not stressing the engine or other mechanical parts.
Should I be stopping once in 150 miles? Is a 15 minutes break is enough? What is the general rule? Please suggest.
I have never driven this long before. Hence this question.

Your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I've driven multiple cars straight through from NJ to Disneyworld, only stopping for gas. It's about 15-20 hours, a bit over 1000 miles. Of course you should keep an eye on your gauges, but generally a long easy highway drive is about the best way you can put miles on a car.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Yup, agreed with Micah, though I'll add my own driving style, which could often be identified as aggressive, is still ok on these cars. Granted it's a different car but in my old 1996 Civic I drove about 110 mph through the entire state of Kansas, east to west, with no issues. More notes... If your bladder can handle it you may be able to make the whole trip in one go with no stops. I don't know if I've hit a 400 mile tank of gas yet, but likely very close. I wouldn't worry about that at all for the car.

Just drive, you'll be fine. Check oil and tire pressure before you go and gettyup!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hi,
I recently bought a 2016 Civic, LX, Sedan (pre-owned) with around 16k miles on it.

This could a be naive question. But, how long I can drive the car without stopping? So that I am not stressing the engine or other mechanical parts.
Should I be stopping once in 150 miles? Is a 15 minutes break is enough? What is the general rule? Please suggest.

Car will be fine if you keep it supplied with gas.
Check tires and oil before the trip might be a good idea.

YOU are more of the concern on a long trip -- getting tired, needing a bathroom break etc

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Yup, agreed with Micah, though I'll add my own driving style, which could often be identified as aggressive, is still ok on these cars. Granted it's a different car but in my old 1996 Civic I drove about 110 mph through the entire state of Kansas, east to west, with no issues. More notes... If your bladder can handle it you may be able to make the whole trip in one go with no stops. I don't know if I've hit a 400 mile tank of gas yet, but likely very close. I wouldn't worry about that at all for the car.

Just drive, you'll be fine. Check oil and tire pressure before you go and gettyup!
I've hit over 510 miles on a tank, and the current tank I'm shooting for over 520, but my wife and kids (DAD LIFE) can often cause crappy short drives to ruin my averages.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
I've never heard of stopping on a road trip for anything more then fuel up, piss breaks and eating. I've driven previous honda's over 400 miles between fuel up with NO stops at all in between.

OP
OP

vijayrajanna

First Name
Vijay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic - 2016 LX Sedan
Country flag
Wow... thank you all for sharing your driving experiences. This provides a better understanding of how robust/strong the mechanical system of modern day cars are.
I will definitely make sure to check the oil gauge, tyre pressure and other critical systems of the car before I start the drive.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
A US astronaut once drove all the way from Houston to Orlando (almost 1000 miles) without stopping (she wore her space diapers to achieve this).

Machines don't get tired. Basically, it's a a matter of cooling. Devices which have limited duty cycles (such as some tire inflation compressors, or my water flosser) can't work continuously, because they would overheat. But cars or aircraft are designed to work continuously for days until they need maintenance.

AlphaMoose67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic LX
Country flag
This summer we drove a Chevy Tahoe 2,400 miles from Oklahoma to Florida, and only had to stop for gas around every 300 miles.

We usually had to stop for bathrooms/food/stretch our legs before then anyways.

You’ll wear out before the car does. If you get tired stop and rest.

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
Hi,

You car should have a 'miles till empty' number on the dash! :)
Sponsored