amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
There was a post a couple of weeks ago, (I could not find it) regarding the Si slipping on a wet road with the Goodyear All Season tires. It started to rain here in Northern California on Wednesday after a about a year of no rain with a couple of major storm systems coming thru, so I got a chance to see if this was a problem or not. I can say that I had no issues with slipping, either at take off or hitting corners. There is an area near my work that is wide open and pretty deserted where you can hit some left turns at high speeds safely (if you lose control or the car skids there is nothing you will hit), and the car handled impressively with very little skidding.

I can personally say that although the BFGoodrich tires on my Camry and Sienna handle wet road conditions much better, the Goodyears did a good job. If there was any slippage at all, traction control kept things safe. I am impressed on how the Si handles wet conditions, but in my experience fwd cars do a pretty good job on wet surfaces, traction control or not...although I have had issues with fwd on icy, slippery roads, mostly when it comes to taking off from a complete stop
Sponsored

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
This is good information to know. Thanks!

I'd be particularly interested to know how the Si Goodyear all seasons handle in snow. My last car was a 2013 Mini Cooper S and I'd swap summers for Blizzacs every fall. With the Blizzacs, my little Mini grappled up unplowed hills that left SUVs behind. It was a terrific "snow mobile." I obviously don't expect that from my Si's jack-of-all-seasons-master-of-none set of tires, but hope I don't have to swap to dedicated snows every year.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is good information to know. Thanks!

I'd be particularly interested to know how the Si Goodyear all seasons handle in snow. My last car was a 2013 Mini Cooper S and I'd swap summers for Blizzacs every fall. With the Blizzacs, my little Mini grappled up unplowed hills that left SUVs behind. It was a terrific "snow mobile." I obviously don't expect that from my Si's jack-of-all-seasons-master-of-none set of tires, but hope I don't have to swap to dedicated snows every year.
Unfortunately the Goodyear all Season tires that come with the Si are not good on snow or icy roads, in fact most All Season tires are not. Snow tires actually handle icy roads better than traction control. A couple of years back we went up Mount Baldy in Southern Cal (believe it or not, you can go from 90 degrees and be in the snow in an hour if you live in Los Angeles due to being surrounded by mountains, in winter of course) and my Sienna with Michelin All season tires had trouble taking off from a stop on the icy roads. At one point the van would not move and someone had to shovel gravel in front of our tires to get us moving. If you live in icy snowy conditions you should switch to winter tires

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Never had a problem driving on all seasons in the snow my entire life. Once you learn their limits and what you can get away with, you’ll be just fine. Unless you live in mountainous or hilly places, then yeah prolly need them. It comes down to skill how to handle a car on slippery roads

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Say what you will, the stock all seasons are garbage tires. It's a widely held opinion for a reason. Does it mean that you're guaranteed to crash? No. It means they're worse than a lot of other all seasons.

Drive them in a cold wet environment and push the car and it becomes rather evident. They're not even very good in ideal conditions. It was the first weakness I discovered when I got my Si and that was in the middle of a hot summer.

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
Souther California
High Desert of San Bernadino
Average temp right now can be 60F-70F ish in the day.
Mild rain this week.

On my way to work. Driving for the first time in rain with a SI.... the wheels constantly slipped with the slightest increase of accelerating. I had to drive like a granny to not make my All Season shit tires not spin.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
got snow here for the last few weeks. the allseasons were crap. even compared to other all seasons.
now i got snowtires on it and it is a very good snow car except for the low clearance.

by the way. i am impressed with the traction control. it will turn the car with the brakes as requested when sliding. others i have seen just tried to stop you and you went straight into the ditch.

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
On my way to work. Driving for the first time in rain with a SI.... the wheels constantly slipped with the slightest increase of accelerating. I had to drive like a granny to not make my All Season shit tires not spin.
This has been my experience too. Even on slightly damp roads I have to feather the accelerator and drive like i'm hyper-mileing if I don't want to spin the tires. Pretty bad.

The other A/S tires i've driven have 2-3x more grip than these... namely high end ones like Goodyear F1 A/S and Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 & AS4+.

Zachamachi

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan
Country flag
Living in Washington state we see quite a bit of rain. I havent had a problem with the all seasons. I can keep up and even pull ahead of cars from a stoplight. There's also tons of puddles and places with inches of water across the road and the tires track straight on through. If I want to get them to spin I can but same with my truck on 285/55/20 tires

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Living in Washington state we see quite a bit of rain. I havent had a problem with the all seasons. I can keep up and even pull ahead of cars from a stoplight. There's also tons of puddles and places with inches of water across the road and the tires track straight on through. If I want to get them to spin I can but same with my truck on 285/55/20 tires
I think we're saying the same thing. I can keep up with the average car and pull on them if I accelerate gently. Also, I have not hydroplaned nor have I felt any slippage going through puddles at normal speeds.

Ultimately the sense of relative grip is entirely subjective. The performance All Seasons i've been driving for years have orders of magnitude better grip in the dry, the damp and the wet. It's really night and day. But compared to a mid grade All Season, these stock Goodyears are probably in the same ballpark.

If you threw some Michelin pilot sport AS4's on your Si, I think you'd be very surprised at the difference.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
SoCal heavy rain with rsrr . Holy under steers . Hydroplaning at 70 plus . Had to do truck speed limit of 55. I do have ps4s in the back to save me from spin outs .

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
How hard are you guys pushing the vehicle in these conditions? I have no issues with the stock tires in the rain because I reduce my speed. We recently got some snow in the northeast and I had to drive home in rush hour traffic without the roads being plowed and the Si did fine without snow tires. Yes, I was slipping a little, but that is to be expected. Fortunately, the area I live in does not have a lot of hills. Last winter I was driving a RWD vehicle that was equipped with All Seasons, and I was fine, so I am definitely not worried since the Si is FWD with an LSD. I remember cruising down the highway and seeing vehicles that should be able to handle the snow, stuck in ditches because of poor driving.

I believe the Si with stock tires will get you through the winter if your commute does not have many hills and your not planning on driving in really deep snow. I would be more concerned about the other drivers on the road that magically forget how to drive when they see a snowflake hit the road.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How hard are you guys pushing the vehicle in these conditions? I have no issues with the stock tires in the rain because I reduce my speed. We recently got some snow in the northeast and I had to drive home in rush hour traffic without the roads being plowed and the Si did fine without snow tires. Yes, I was slipping a little, but that is to be expected. Fortunately, the area I live in does not have a lot of hills. Last winter I was driving a RWD vehicle that was equipped with All Seasons, and I was fine, so I am definitely not worried since the Si is FWD with an LSD. I remember cruising down the highway and seeing vehicles that should be able to handle the snow, stuck in ditches because of poor driving.

I believe the Si with stock tires will get you through the winter if your commute does not have many hills and your not planning on driving in really deep snow. I would be more concerned about the other drivers on the road that magically forget how to drive when they see a snowflake hit the road.
I agree, you guys must be really pushing your cars hard on the wet roads. It's been raining pretty hard here in the Bay area all week and I have not had any issues with slippery roads. Obviously if you go hard when driving on wet roads your tires are going to spin and slip. These tires are definitely not the best, but they will get you thru a couple of years until they are ready to be changed

sweetkankles

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Try living in the midwest where winter is a real thing....
I live in Iowa, and the all seasons are garbage in the snow, took about 30 minutes to get out of my parking lot with about 8-12 inches of snow and about 6 inch on the road. I just need to save up money for some snow tires.
Sponsored