Driver rear wheel stud replacement

Storm490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Hey guys, first post. Managed to snap my rear driver wheel stud when rotating my tires. Anyone have experience replacing this themselves? I’ve looked for guides or videos but haven’t had any luck. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys, first post. Managed to snap my rear driver wheel stud when rotating my tires. Anyone have experience replacing this themselves? I’ve looked for guides or videos but haven’t had any luck. Thanks in advance.
I haven't looked on my civic yet,but on my Toyota, the stud was just pressed in, I banged out the old one with a hammer, put the new one on and used a bunch of washers under the lug nut and tightened it until it pulled the new stud in place, you'll have to use an open end lug nut though and the ones on the civic are closed.

OP
OP

Storm490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I haven't looked on my civic yet,but on my Toyota, the stud was just pressed in, I banged out the old one with a hammer, put the new one on and used a bunch of washers under the lug nut and tightened it until it pulled the new stud in place, you'll have to use an open end lug nut though and the ones on the civic are closed.
Did you have to move anything out of the way to bang it out? I know every car will be different but I’m just trying to get a general sense for what I should be looking to do. My FIL has a lot of car repair experience, and will be helped by, but it’s all on American GMC/Chevies.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

IMO you are right if we look at the stud picture ;
https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/wheel-stud/honda/civic/2016

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-11931-610-2691.aspx

Honda Civic 10th gen Driver rear wheel stud replacement Capture d’écran 2017-12-23 à 07.09.51

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks! I got the piece yesterday. Glad to see I bought the same one
Be careful when push the stud out. Leave nut on as a head to save thread and be careful with hammer.

Any videos on Y-T how to ?

OP
OP

Storm490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Be careful when push the stud out. Leave nut on as a head to save thread and be careful with hammer.

Not that I found for 2016 civics. Seen some for 2015 and older, but not sure if same.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you have to move anything out of the way to bang it out? I know every car will be different but I’m just trying to get a general sense for what I should be looking to do. My FIL has a lot of car repair experience, and will be helped by, but it’s all on American GMC/Chevies.
I didn't move anything,just be very careful not to hit the rim. If the stud broke close to the wheel,use a punch or something long to push it out with. Just to clarify also, I did this with the wheel off the car.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I don't think he has to worry about saving the thread since he snapped the stud and it might be a pain to get the nut off if he pounds it into the snapped thread. But if you're trying to bang out a good one for some reason,then yea,the nut on it is an awesome idea to save it.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't think he has to worry about saving the thread since he snapped the stud and it might be a pain to get the nut off if he pounds it into the snapped thread. But if you're trying to bang out a good one for some reason,then yea,the nut on it is an awesome idea to save it.

You are right , why save the threads:doh:

OP
OP

Storm490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I didn't move anything,just be very careful not to hit the rim. If the stud broke close to the wheel,use a punch or something long to push it out with. Just to clarify also, I did this with the wheel off the car.
Thanks! Yea just finished actually. Was much easier than I thought. Just wheel off, brake caliper off, one screw to take off the rotor holding the wheel studs. Popped it out with hammer and screwed new one in.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! Yea just finished actually. Was much easier than I thought. Just wheel off, brake caliper off, one screw to take off the rotor holding the wheel studs. Popped it out with hammer and screwed new one in.
Cool, I meant be careful not to hit the rotor,not the rim,sorry about that,lol

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Great !
Sponsored