MarkR171

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si, '17 MX5, '01 Miata
Country flag
I posted another thread a couple weeks ago about the custom exhaust made for my car to make room for a trailer hitch here.

I finally got around to installing the hitch and bike rack the other day and figured I'd post some pictures and thoughts for anyone who may be thinking about doing the same. I used the Draw-Tite Sportframe hitch designed for the sedan and hatchback without center exhausts. With the exhaust out of the way, and the bumper already clearanced in the center for the hitch, it was a relatively simple install with only minor trimming of a metal bracket required.

Install was easy on the Si, a few plastic clips and screws and the bumper pulls right out - no wiring to unplug. Once the bumper is off, the hitch installs between the bumper support bar and the body. In order for the hitch bracket to fit flush on the Si body, I had to trim a little bit off a pair of brackets that are just there to clip the bottom of the bumper cover. I used a dremel and a metal cutting disk, then sanded it down to clean the cut and sprayed primer to protect it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Draw-Tite Hitch installed on my Si Coupe t4cCOuO

Sanded, primed, and clears the hitch frame.
Honda Civic 10th gen Draw-Tite Hitch installed on my Si Coupe WtAHTWZ

Installed, just need to put the bumper cover back on.
Honda Civic 10th gen Draw-Tite Hitch installed on my Si Coupe g2HvAXZ

Bumper and exhaust tip clearance. Yes I understand it doesn't look great, but that's not the point, it's not for everyone. I don't think the center exhaust looked very good anyway, and this is for a function :).
Honda Civic 10th gen Draw-Tite Hitch installed on my Si Coupe y5Ef7IJ

Honda Civic 10th gen Draw-Tite Hitch installed on my Si Coupe cY9jPiG

Honda Civic 10th gen Draw-Tite Hitch installed on my Si Coupe 1b2vgJ1

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Was a roof rack not an option?

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
You no it's not that bad looking honestly. You should angle that exhaust tip up and out a little to the right! Not as aggressive as the pic but just a thought!

Better yet I might do that...

Honda Civic 10th gen Draw-Tite Hitch installed on my Si Coupe Screenshot_20181231-202112

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

jscm

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I posted another thread a couple weeks ago about the custom exhaust made for my car to make room for a trailer hitch here.

I finally got around to installing the hitch and bike rack the other day and figured I'd post some pictures and thoughts for anyone who may be thinking about doing the same. I used the Draw-Tite Sportframe hitch designed for the sedan and hatchback without center exhausts. With the exhaust out of the way, and the bumper already clearanced in the center for the hitch, it was a relatively simple install with only minor trimming of a metal bracket required.

Install was easy on the Si, a few plastic clips and screws and the bumper pulls right out - no wiring to unplug. Once the bumper is off, the hitch installs between the bumper support bar and the body. In order for the hitch bracket to fit flush on the Si body, I had to trim a little bit off a pair of brackets that are just there to clip the bottom of the bumper cover. I used a dremel and a metal cutting disk, then sanded it down to clean the cut and sprayed primer to protect it.

t4cCOuO.jpg

Sanded, primed, and clears the hitch frame.
WtAHTWZ.jpg

Installed, just need to put the bumper cover back on.
g2HvAXZ.jpg

Bumper and exhaust tip clearance. Yes I understand it doesn't look great, but that's not the point, it's not for everyone. I don't think the center exhaust looked very good anyway, and this is for a function :).
y5Ef7IJ.jpg

cY9jPiG.jpg

1b2vgJ1.jpg
can you take a picture underneath?

Syco54645

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Ex Hatch, Nissan Altima
Country flag
Was a roof rack not an option?
I'd say they either had the bike rack already or did not want the hassle of lifting the bike up to the roof. One slip can easily cause a lot of damage.

OP
OP
MarkR171

MarkR171

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si, '17 MX5, '01 Miata
Country flag
There are no roof racks available for the coupe other than "universal" kits. The problem with roof racks is added wind noise, reduced mpg, and the hassle of lifting and lowering bikes on/from the roof. The trailer hitch means the bike rack is removable in seconds when I don't need it, doesn't add wind noise, and makes loading bikes easier.

Other than the bikes, the hitch allows me to pull my tire trailer if I ever need to.

Honda Civic 10th gen Draw-Tite Hitch installed on my Si Coupe 43188911_491629428004296_2989735956040384512_o-jpg-_nc_cat-107-_nc_ht-scontent-iad3-1-

Honda Civic 10th gen Draw-Tite Hitch installed on my Si Coupe 41295377_476855132815059_8920577744429907968_o-jpg-_nc_cat-110-_nc_ht-scontent-iad3-1-