First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hope this isn't too dumb a question, but for a few reasons, I might want to drain a small amount of oil. I had to with my last Civic, but had to have the dealer do that and don't ever want to let them touch it, so.....
I couldn't drain it through the dipstick tube with a small hose, wouldn't work.
Is there any issue or problem with loosening the oil filter a bit and letting some out that way?
I don't want to remove the drain bolt completely as it would be a huge mess and let out way more than I need before I could get it back, and my OCD would not let me just loosen it slightly cause I would know that crush washer shouldn't be used again.
So I thought a few turns on the oil filter would let just a bit out, then just clean it up.
I don't think there will be any issue with it sealing back up as you oil the gasket anyway, but I just want to make sure.
Sponsored

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
It didn't work.
It definitely works either your pump is too weak or your hose is too big and not long enough. https://www.amazon.com/EWK-Pneumati...r_1_8?keywords=Oil+pump&qid=1569522215&sr=8-8 I use this. If you don't want to buy that just buy the diameter hose listed in the amazon link and a pump from harbor freight https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-63144.html make sure engine oil is warm to make it less viscous.

But i guess you can do the oil filter trick if you don’t want to buy additional stuff.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On my first civic oil change, I accidentally put 4 quarts in my 1.5T which I quickly learned only requires 3.7 after a quick google search. I held a funnel attached to an empty oil bottle under the drain plug and slowly loosened the plug till it was out. I kept it depressed against the hole to slow the flow and when I got to 300mL in the empty, I screwed the plug back in. It took a little effort to not make a mess, but I did it. Don't fool yourself into thinking it's messy. It wasn't.... and it only took a few mins. I re-used the crush washer. No drips so far.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For some reason, even though I used a very small diameter tube, it seemed like it kept getting hung up on something, now if it was at the bottom, then as someone said, then the pump just wasn't strong enough. It was just one of those siphons that are like 5.00 , so probably was the case.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For some reason, even though I used a very small diameter tube, it seemed like it kept getting hung up on something, now if it was at the bottom, then as someone said, then the pump just wasn't strong enough. It was just one of those siphons that are like 5.00 , so probably was the case.
Rickmeister,
Just crack the filter loose and snug it back up.
Sponsored