Siguy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
I'm trying to decide if I should get a Downpipe and Front Pipe but I don't want to make my car too loud. For those of you who have bought new pipes what are your thoughts? any regrets? This is my daily commuter and I don't want highway drone or my car to be very raspy. I have researched sound clips on YouTube but I haven't seen any real good videos where you can accurately depict the sound in the cabin. My goal in swapping out pipes is strictly for the power gain and maybe a little deeper note but I'm afraid that they might be a little too raspy? I don't care what brand you guys have gone with bc I don't think that's going to make much of a difference bc they are all just straight through pipes so they should all relatively do the same thing if there 3 inch catless. I'm kinda leaning towards PLM ovet PRL due to the pricing 380 vs 650 for the prl. I realize prl is a little better quality but for the savings with the PLM I could almost buy an intake or use the savings to justify flex fuel! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing a fx300 clutch next month and would likely do the pipes at the same time. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Jazzek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EXT, 2003 Taco
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe your intake and exhaust (resonator/muffler) have far more to do with sound than do the front or downpipes. You shouldn't notice much difference with just those changes. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken. I don't have these modded yet, but I plan on getting the PRL kit due to recommendations and research.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I'm trying to decide if I should get a Downpipe and Front Pipe but I don't want to make my car too loud. For those of you who have bought new pipes what are your thoughts? any regrets? This is my daily commuter and I don't want highway drone or my car to be very raspy. I have researched sound clips on YouTube but I haven't seen any real good videos where you can accurately depict the sound in the cabin. My goal in swapping out pipes is strictly for the power gain and maybe a little deeper note but I'm afraid that they might be a little too raspy? I don't care what brand you guys have gone with bc I don't think that's going to make much of a difference bc they are all just straight through pipes so they should all relatively do the same thing if there 3 inch catless. I'm kinda leaning towards PLM ovet PRL due to the pricing 380 vs 650 for the prl. I realize prl is a little better quality but for the savings with the PLM I could almost buy an intake or use the savings to justify flex fuel! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing a fx300 clutch next month and would likely do the pipes at the same time. Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you kinda answered your own question. You seem to want too go order the plm pipes because of pricing, and you realize you get what you pay for. My advice would be Prl. Reasons why, higher quality material, which you want in a turbocharged car, specially when exhaust is coming into play. Fitment is on point and Prl has done extensive testing on the dyno with their pipes. You also mentioned you are doing the fx300 clutch, and flex fuel, so it sounds like you are going to be going after some power, might as well get all the power you can get. Prl’s welders back purge their pipes and flanges as well for maximum durability. I’ve heard of fitment issues with plm, which I think they are addressing. If you were just doing a mild bolt ons and a tune for a little bit extra power I’d say plm.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know over on the 9th gen forums... there were several vids that lead me to believe the catted downpipes had minimal/no rasp compared to catless. I've not done a downpipe/exhaust on a Civic yet but the vids I saw for the K24s seemed to consistently show no cats = rasp. I've done downpipes/no cats/big exhaust on V6s w/o issue but I doubt they're directly comparable.

I've never done exhaust as I've always been petrified that getting that raspy fart can sound that's something of a negative stereotype of a small engined car with modified exhaust.

Last edited:

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a downpipe/frontpipe with stock exhaust, it only sounds deeper and growls at lower rpms and city driving. on high way speeds or cruising, sounds stock silent.

OP
OP

Siguy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
I have a downpipe/frontpipe with stock exhaust, it only sounds deeper and growls at lower rpms and city driving. on high way speeds or cruising, sounds stock silent.
Thanks for the info that definitely helps my decision! What brand did you go with?

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ordered the AFE catted down pipe, it should be here Monday.

I'll report back after the install .

I choose it because from my research it was the least prone to throw a CEL. I also like the sound from the clips I've heard .

nvtive_b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Type R
Country flag
i have a hatchback sport cvt and im looking into ordering a fkx racing dp and fp. im also on the stage 2 ktuner tune. will i have any problems running those on my car??

IcyRyce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have a hatchback sport cvt and im looking into ordering a fkx racing dp and fp. im also on the stage 2 ktuner tune. will i have any problems running those on my car??
Try not to launch the car. My car went into limp mode a few times after launching.

nvtive_b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Type R
Country flag
Try not to launch the car. My car went into limp mode a few times after launching.
You have a dp and fp as well on your cvt? I never launch the car so ill be good. Any problems with it at all from just hard spirited driving?

IcyRyce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You have a dp and fp as well on your cvt? I never launch the car so ill be good. Any problems with it at all from just hard spirited driving?
Yeah I have the PRL Dp/Fp on my CVT, There're no problems at all while spirited driving.

nvtive_b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Type R
Country flag
Yeah I have the PRL Dp/Fp on my CVT, There're no problems at all while spirited driving.
do you have a flash tune at all?

edit: okay i see you do and many supporting mods
im just looking for the tune and fp dp just to make it fast but also keep it semi reliable

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
do you have a flash tune at all?

edit: okay i see you do and many supporting mods
im just looking for the tune and fp dp just to make it fast but also keep it semi reliable

I'd talk to Vit when you get it tuned. I think he has a CVT tune to keeps the car from having more low end torque than the trans can handle.

nvtive_b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Type R
Country flag
I'd talk to Vit when you get it tuned. I think he has a CVT tune to keeps the car from having more low end torque than the trans can handle.
that will eventually be my next step after the dp instal. getting it tuned to my liking cuz i just use ktuners base map and that is already more than enough tbh haha
Sponsored