1.5T Downpipe (PRL vs FKX)

Tzfng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Civic Hatch ST
Country flag
I see the PRL downpipe being mentioned a lot on the forums but haven't heard much about the FKX downpipe. Can anyone chime in on this?
Sponsored

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I run the fkxdown pipe & front pipe. What are you looking to know?

OP
OP

Tzfng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Civic Hatch ST
Country flag
I run the fkxdown pipe & front pipe. What are you looking to know?
How are you liking it? I am looking to get the FKX downpipe. Just curious why everyone is always talking about PRL and not the FKX.

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I really like it. I did the front pipe & down pipe at the same time. The fitment was great & retained the factory heat shield. I don’t have anything bad to say. The welds on it are great! I am currently still running it after 5,000+ miles of use & it is still doing great!

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PRL is true 3" piping and better quality steel and thickness as well as hand tig welded vs machine welded. FKX is 2.5"

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
PRL is true 3" piping and better quality steel and thickness as well as hand tig welded vs machine welded. FKX is 2.5"
How is it it better quality steel? Do you really want to compare robotic welds to human welds? Is 3” necessary on the 1.5T?

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
They're both 304 stainless.

How is it it better quality steel? Do you really want to compare robotic welds to human welds? Is 3” necessary on the 1.5T?
Human vs. machine welds can only accurately be compared by performing a stress test on both. A machine weld will be more consistent from part to part, whereas hand welds depend heavily on skill and experience. That being said, PRLs welders are skilled welders. And no, I don't believe we need a 3" downpipe unless upgrading the turbo.

Last edited:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They're both 304 stainless.

Human vs. machine welds can only accurately be compared by performing a stress test on both. A machine weld will be more consistent from part to part, whereas hand welds depend heavily on skill and experience. That being said, PRLs welders are skilled welders. And no, I don't believe we need a 3" downpipe unless upgrading the turbo.
I mean prl uses 304 16 gauge stainless steel while fkx uses 18 gauge when I asked

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I mean prl uses 304 16 gauge stainless steel while fkx uses 18 gauge when I asked
I'll start by saying that I love PRL and I think they make a fantastic product.

But to play devil's advocate:

16 to 18 gauge is a difference of 0.0125", which is very small. One would have to test the two to see what the difference in strength would be under internal pressure (which I'd assume is the greatest force it would be experiencing). When it comes to cars, especially ones like ours where its light weight is a major contributor to its performance, I'd tend to lean towards the products that can find the balance between performance and substance, i.e. getting the most with as little material/weight. Maybe that extra 0.0125" thickness doesn't make much of a difference in strength for this application, but does make a difference in weight.

Just food for thought.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll start by saying that I love PRL and I think they make a fantastic product.

But to play devil's advocate:

16 to 18 gauge is a difference of 0.0125", which is very small. One would have to test the two to see what the difference in strength would be under internal pressure (which I'd assume is the greatest force it would be experiencing). When it comes to cars, especially ones like ours where its light weight is a major contributor to its performance, I'd tend to lean towards the products that can find the balance between performance and substance, i.e. getting the most with as little material/weight. Maybe that extra 0.0125" thickness doesn't make much of a difference in strength for this application, but does make a difference in weight.

Just food for thought.
Actually 16-18 gauge makes a pretty big difference when it comes to durability. But that is why FKX is a lot cheaper than other brands as well

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Actually 16-18 gauge makes a pretty big difference when it comes to durability. But that is why FKX is a lot cheaper than other brands as well
How does the difference in thickness equate to durability? Do you know a lot of exhaust design or construction? The reason it is thinner is it is easier to bend 18ga vs 16 ga with mandrel bends. The PRL has cast ends so it doesn’t need to have thinner steel for those bends. It has nothing to do with durability.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How does the difference in thickness equate to durability? Do you know a lot of exhaust design or construction? The reason it is thinner is it is easier to bend 18ga vs 16 ga with mandrel bends. The PRL has cast ends so it doesn’t need to have thinner steel for those bends. It has nothing to do with durability.
Lol alright man you think what you want. The fact is that mostly every other brand 2.5” or 3” uses 16 gauges. Companies like plm and fkx are usually copy cats of others and that’s been proven. I had a fkx frontpipe and sure quality was ok for the cost but there were quite a few dents that they said were normal lol

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It has nothing to do with what I “think” I am stating facts.

I run an fkx front pipe & down pipe. Mine have zero dents new & after install. Were the dents from shipping or improper install. I have a full titanium exhaust after the front pipe so you don’t hear me bragging about how titanium is superior to anything else & how other metals are garbage.

I think you are just being subjective & making false claims.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It has nothing to do with what I “think” I am stating facts.

I run an fkx front pipe & down pipe. Mine have zero dents new & after install. Were the dents from shipping or improper install. I have a full titanium exhaust after the front pipe so you don’t hear me bragging about how titanium is superior to anything else & how other metals are garbage.

I think you are just being subjective & making false claims.
False claims ok sure lol I’ve been around for a while and know a thing or two. I don't give a shit if you run titanium or not lol just more expensive and lighter too. I’m glad your running what you got just realized for you 2.5” is all you need with your car model. Hell 2.5” is fine with my Si too but as PRL and RV6 said based on dyno results 3” will always make more power than 2.5” from turbo to frontpipe

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As per the OP’s question. He is asking if the fkx pipe is any good. It is. I don’t think there is much else to say about it.

Exhaust is not the major restriction. Unless you are upgrading your turbo you will be fine with 2.5”.

People can spend their money on what they like. I am not trashing any one brand. What I am stating is that the fkx presents a good value & is sufficient unless you are upgrading the turbo.

Pic of my fkx front pipe dentless for reference.

Honda Civic 10th gen Downpipe (PRL vs FKX) C2C1202A-C3B8-4838-8E1F-7FE329457BA5
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx