Votes: 20 39.2%

• Total voters

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I’m sure you guys are sick of my posts about exhausts... but I have another.

I’ve been in the market for an exhaust system and it’s pretty much come down to Borla or 27Won with me leaning a bit more towards Borla.

My question though is should I just go straight to a DP/FP combo and wait for the exhaust system? My understanding is that changing the exhaust system has minimal gains, but will improve the sound quality. My big concern with going DP/FP is clutch slip with TSP Stage 1 tune. I really want to ride the stock clutch as long as I can, so would upgrading the DP/FP cause clutch slip with PRL’s Cobra CAI and tune?

DP/FP Combo is around $700-800
Borla or 27Won Exhaust Systems - $1200-1300

Thanks and hope to hear all of your feedback! :feedback:
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I could be wrong. But, I think people are running FBO with TSP Stage 1 on stock clutches. Not sure what the stock exhaust sounds like with DP/FP upgrades, but volume should at least be improved.

For me, if I had my car tuned, I'd want a better sounding exhaust more than the performance gains of the DP/FP.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
DP/FP alone if you're not doing the full turbo back from 27WON.

You'll have a better idea of how your stock exhaust sounds and may even be happy with it, plus actual performance gains.

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If you are going with catless setup, you will get some sound, although not the tone you may be after. Personally, since you have the tune already you are plenty quick and I would go for the exhaust note.

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really like the 27won exhaust but I can’t bring myself to spend that much money for just a better sound. So me personally I say go for dp/fp. From what it seems it’s kind of up in air whether you will have clutch slip or not. If you drive the car hard from low rpms all the time, didn’t break in proper etc then you probably will slip.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a resonator delete and custom muffler setup for over a year. It sounded great. Deep, throaty and not too loud. When I upgraded my DP/FP, it increased in volume significantly. Crackling and popping, even deeper and just plain mean sounding. I’m in love with the way it sounds now.

You get a nice sound, with power increase, from putting on the right DP/FP. No question. But if you are just going for sound, get a cat back.

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
I’m sure you guys are sick of my posts about exhausts... but I have another.

I’ve been in the market for an exhaust system and it’s pretty much come down to Borla or 27Won with me leaning a bit more towards Borla.

My question though is should I just go straight to a DP/FP combo and wait for the exhaust system? My understanding is that changing the exhaust system has minimal gains, but will improve the sound quality. My big concern with going DP/FP is clutch slip with TSP Stage 1 tune. I really want to ride the stock clutch as long as I can, so would upgrading the DP/FP cause clutch slip with PRL’s Cobra CAI and tune?

DP/FP Combo is around $700-800
Borla or 27Won Exhaust Systems - $1200-1300

Thanks and hope to hear all of your feedback! :feedback:
From our experience the DP/FP with the stock exhaust will provide some added note and volume, but the sound is not very pleasing. It would certainly not be our first choice no matter what DP/FP choice you go with.
Then there are two options when considering the "cat-back" or "front-pipe back" exhaust.
- Cat back would be the exhaust and the frontpipe: with the 27WON exhaust you are getting an exhaust that is actually designed and tuned for the L15B7 via the pass through and side branch resonators. If you're worried about volume but want a really nice sound then this is the best option. It will be aggressive in spirited driving, but daily friendly. We have driven from Vancouver, WA to SoCal multiple times in our SI setup with a catless turbo-back exhaust with the W1.
- Front Pipe back would be just the exhaust after the front pipe: this would be alittle lower volume than above and reduce cost a bit.

We have bundle deals for all these options including turbo-back.

Hope this helps, if you have questions you're welcome to give us a call!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ne0guri

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
From our experience the DP/FP with the stock exhaust will provide some added note and volume, but the sound is not very pleasing. It would certainly not be our first choice no matter what DP/FP choice you go with.
Then there are two options when considering the "cat-back" or "front-pipe back" exhaust.
- Cat back would be the exhaust and the frontpipe: with the 27WON exhaust you are getting an exhaust that is actually designed and tuned for the L15B7 via the pass through and side branch resonators. IF your worried about volume but what a really nice sound then this is the best option. It will be aggressive in spirited driving, but daily friendly. When driven from Vancouver, WA to SoCal multiple times in our SI setup with a catless turbo-back exhaust with the W1.
- Front Pipe back would be just the exhaust after the front pipe: this would be alittle lower volume than above and reduce cost a bit.

2 questions:

1. How does your Si system compare to the OEM system? Is it much louder?

2. How does your Si system compare vs your Hatchback system? The Hatchback system seems to have a very nice tone and since they are the same engine, I was wondering if the Si version sounded similar.

Thanks again for your responses!

Edit:

Also thank you so much for giving insight that a DP/FP combo on stock exhaust might not be what I’m looking for. I’m now fully convinced to go with an exhaust system or do a full turbo back all at once. It’s funny that so many people are voting for DP/FP combo yet a legitimate company is saying that wouldn’t be their first choice! That statement alone is making me reconsider your company and may end up going full turbo back with 27Won system.

Last edited:

Monnk13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
- Cat back would be the exhaust and the frontpipe: with the 27WON exhaust you are getting an exhaust that is actually designed and tuned for the L15B7 via the pass through and side branch resonators. IF your worried about volume but what a really nice sound then this is the best option. It will be aggressive in spirited driving, but daily friendly. When driven from Vancouver, WA to SoCal multiple times in our SI setup with a catless turbo-back exhaust with the W1.

I’m fairly new to the forum. I think it is great for us as consumers to have access to information like this directly from the people that make the products. Stuff like this would never make it in a brochure or product description on a website but is just as important when considering what products to buy. In the long run, everyone wins. Consumers are able to make better informed purchases and the companies with superior products make more money....yay capitalism

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
2 questions:

1. How does your Si system compare to the OEM system? Is it much louder?

2. How does your Si system compare vs your Hatchback system? The Hatchback system seems to have a very nice tone and since they are the same engine, I was wondering if the Si version sounded similar.

Thanks again for your responses!

Edit:

Also thank you so much for giving insight that a DP/FP combo on stock exhaust might not be what I’m looking for. I’m now fully convinced to go with an exhaust system or do a full turbo back all at once. It’s funny that so many people are voting for DP/FP combo yet a legitimate company is saying that wouldn’t be their first choice! That statement alone is making me reconsider your company and may end up going full turbo back with 27Won system.
1) I would say it is a significant difference, but in the right way. Its not like going from stock exhaust to a DIY straight pipe setup. It adds volume, growl, some burbles between shifts but is fairly mellow when easy on the throttle.
2) SI to Hatchback is very very similar. It follows the same design theory and uses the same engine. The tip design is the only major difference which doesn't really effect sound from what we can see.

Glad we could help.

I’m fairly new to the forum. I think it is great for us as consumers to have access to information like this directly from the people that make the products. Stuff like this would never make it in a brochure or product description on a website but is just as important when considering what products to buy. In the long run, everyone wins. Consumers are able to make better informed purchases and the companies with superior products make more money....yay capitalism
Thanks for the feedback and we couldn't agree more. We take the time to comment and respond in the forums and other social media because we are enthusiasts also. At some point we were all new to the automotive field and aftermarket modifications. There's tons of unknowns and lots of risk when modifying your vehicle. We want to do what we can to take away the guess work and worry so you guys and gals can enjoy your passion of cars.

If you can't reach us on social or the forum in the time frame you need, our phone and direct email is another great way to get in contact. General questions about your 10th Gen and/or parts, we'll do what we can to help you.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It’s funny that so many people are voting for DP/FP combo yet a legitimate company is saying that wouldn’t be their first choice! That statement alone is making me reconsider your company and may end up going full turbo back with 27Won system.
Well to be fair you're not really specifying in your first post whether you value the sound/aesthetics or performance aspect more. The DP/FP would have an actual performance benefit, regardless of sounding good (subjectively) or not.

That being said, I can highly recommend the full 27WON turbo back. Sounds great, just loud enough. Pretty easy to daily but turn heads when you get on it. Pricey, but it's a full system designed to work together and the quality is fantastic. Overall you'll get a good sounding exhaust note and a bit of a performance boost from the DP, whether you go catted (mine) or catless.
Sponsored