Door frames always dirty. Anyone try weatherstripping?

slrosenfeld

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, red
Country flag
This was from the general forum. I was wondering if anyone here has tried it.

I got some rubber weatherstripping at the home center, the kind with the peel off sticky backing, and cut it to length and stuck it to the outer contour of the door frame in the car body, just outside the area where you're getting water and dirt, and it worked perfect. They've got all different sizes of it, so just a matter of looking at your door frame and figuring out how wide and tall you need it to be.
Seems like a good idea to me. Any potential downside? I sure wouldn't mind not having to clean those door frames all the time.
Sponsored

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I find that some degreaser solution, the kind made by Zep for use on tiles, rubbed onto an old rag, and used to wipe the area of concern will clean it quite nicely with a couple of swipes.

OP
OP

slrosenfeld

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, red
Country flag
Thanks. But I was actually looking for a way to prevent the dirt and water from getting in there in the first place. There's weather-stripping on the door itself, but it doesn't quite close the gap. I saw one comment suggesting not to add additional weatherstripping to the door frame because grit can get under it and scratch the paint, which s sense. What about replacing the door weatherstripping with something a little thicker?
Sponsored