DON’T BUY This Aftermarket Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

OP
OP
Mick the Quick

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
OP, here,

SCOPESYS is right. I had forgotten about this thread altogether, and I apologize for that.

Ultimately, I removed that TPMS from my car because: (i) the viewing angle is extremely steep as he describes - that’s because the display is designed to be mounted on a vertical dash surface (like in an Accord) but in CTRs, the display tilts up 45 degrees, making the viewing angle close to perpendicular to the floor, (ii) the external sensors are not very attractive, compact or convenient in removal/install, and (iii) most importantly, the readings weren’t accurate or consistent to be actually useful. Neither (i) nor (ii) was a show stopper for me, but (iii) was. I kept the product but I probably should have returned it.

In conclusion, do not buy. Sorry folks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
OP, here,

SCOPESYS is right. I had forgotten about this thread altogether, and I apologize for that.

Ultimately, I removed that TPMS from my car because: (i) the viewing angle is extremely steep as you describe - that’s because the display is designed to be mounted on a vertical dash surface (like in an Accord) but in CTRs, the display tilts up 45 degrees, making the viewing angle close to perpendicular to the floor, (ii) the external sensors are not very attractive, compact or convenient in removal/install, and (iii) most importantly, the readings weren’t accurate or consistent to be actually useful. Neither (i) nor (ii) was a show stopper for me, but (iii) was. I kept the product but I probably should have returned it.

In conclusion, do not buy. Sorry folks.
Maybe update title or original post with that message? Just trying to be a good forum explorer lol

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Out of curiousity... Is there a good tpms solution? I want something like this that fits in an OEM button pocket, but ultimately it has to work. Are there better options (different brand, etc)?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Out of curiousity... Is there a good tpms solution? I want something like this that fits in an OEM button pocket, but ultimately it has to work. Are there better options (different brand, etc)?
Not found one yet, and I keep looking....
(Maybe I am looking in the wrong places, but cannot find anything on the Internet - so far)

jsyar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, BMW 328xi, BMW X3
Country flag
I use these on my motorcycle: https://my-fobo.com/. I’ve used them for the past 4 years with no problems beyond replacing the batteries a couple of times. I can check the pressure in my tires from in side the house with my phone as I’m suiting up. I did get the steel T valve installed which makes it much safer and easier to put air in the tire. I may spring for some the next time I get tires on the R.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SL0, FK8R, GR3
Country flag
Years ago, I've had a similar system. All it did was inducing air leakage. I thought it was a slow tyre puncture, after a lot of time we've all sensors leaking a tiny bit, regardless how good it was sealed and resealed again.

One very important sideeffect: these sensors are not meant to be used in high-speed scenarios. In fact, they can be dangerous because the centrifugal forces can induce a major stress on the valve the faster you drive.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I don’t care for the screw on style sensors- I’m just more interested in having the display look somewhat oem in the car. With where that particular display sat in the side button pocket, was perfect. That’s my biggest want... I wish we could incorporate the oem system into our cars. I know it isn’t great, but something is still better than nothing.

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Years ago, I've had a similar system. All it did was inducing air leakage. I thought it was a slow tyre puncture, after a lot of time we've all sensors leaking a tiny bit, regardless how good it was sealed and resealed again.

One very important sideeffect: these sensors are not meant to be used in high-speed scenarios. In fact, they can be dangerous because the centrifugal forces can induce a major stress on the valve the faster you drive.
That seems opposite to what it's suppose to do; relief you from the worry. I do notice that some comes with washers, perhaps that was something that wasn't thought about back then. Nevertheless, systems like this is not an end-all solution, but a cut down on having to stop and worry. I literally done this 5 times to check for any possible punctures and turns out to be none. I think my case is more of sensitive indirect TPMS provided by Honda that doesn't only account for deflation but also inflation (when it's hot outside). It'll hold me over until I get a new tire set and install a proper direct TPMS system.

DOZOIR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe (lunar silver)
Country flag
I have this installed.
Plugs into the obd2 port, and used the abs sensors.

Works well.

I considered ones similar to the OPs, using sensors on the valve stems. But seemed like a hassle down the road with battery replacements and people taking them off ‍♂

A78B4F59-8FB8-4524-9DA0-B6A14540C47A.jpeg
Reviving this old thread...

I am thinking of adding this TPMS to my dash. Would you have a short long-term review? Accuracy? How do you find the illumination? Bright or just right?

Much appreciated!

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Our TRMS (Tire Radius Measurement System) is abysmal. I would have gladly paid a few dollars more for the traditional feature. I applaud the engineers for their ingenuity but hate the "Is the damn thing flat or just low" when it comes on at highway speeds and you try not to pull over and check but when I do it's maybe a pound low.....
Sponsored