DON’T BUY This Aftermarket Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought mine on eBay. But there are none available right now.

OP
OP
Mick the Quick

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
I have this installed.
Plugs into the obd2 port, and used the abs sensors.

Works well.

I considered ones similar to the OPs, using sensors on the valve stems. But seemed like a hassle down the road with battery replacements and people taking them off ‍♂

A78B4F59-8FB8-4524-9DA0-B6A14540C47A.jpeg

Looks great. Has it informed you of a particular tire being low on air? I am not sure if CTR’s OBD-II output can show which specific tire is low. Thanks.

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
A lot of these seems to come out of Thailand (or perhaps highly used there). Can any Thai folks vouch for similar product or perhaps a reliable source of purchase?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
MAJOR PROBLEM with this Dashboard TPMS unit. :(

Honda Civic 10th gen DON’T BUY This Aftermarket Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Dash-TPMS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0728B9MRD
Unit is fully functional, everything work, but when it is mounted on the Dash, it is unreadable -- the LCD looks very very dim/dark.

This is because the viewing angle of the LCD is totally incompatible with the 10th Gen Civics dash angle.

The LCD is designed to be viewable from Straight on, to about a 45 deg angle looking down on it.. as you would if you are the driver and the unit was mounted on a Vertical surface.

However, the location it mounts on the Honda Dash slopes at about 60 degrees , with the display point up at 60 degrees.
When you view it, you are therefor actually viewing it from an angle BELOW its straight on view, and at angles below Straight on view, the LCD viewing angle is such, that the LCD appears to be virtually black.

In order to view you, you have to lean forward, with your face so far forward, that your chin is on top of the steering wheel.

So yes, when the alarm goes off, you can contort yourself forward, and are able to read it, but it might not be advisable to do so when driving !!!

It is UNREADABLE from a normal driving position !!!

It's a shame, its a nice unit, and is probably bright enough (when viewed at the correct angle) , to be visible in relatively bright sunlight, but I will not be fitting it to my SI.

Instead I will stick with the Bigger unit, in the center Smartphone pocket.

Honda Civic 10th gen DON’T BUY This Aftermarket Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) TPMS-SI-3

The Dash unit can display PSI, but the Deg C cannot be changed to Deg F.

So, bear this in mind before you drop $84 dollars on this TPMS, unless you can accept these limitations.

The unit was obviously designed for a VERTICAL Dash mounting .
Very strange that making it Honda 10the gen fitting, the manufacturer did not notice the viewing angle issue. :doh:

Last edited:

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
MAJOR PROBLEM with this Dashboard TPMS unit. :(

Dash-TPMS.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0728B9MRD
Unit is fully functional, everything work, but when it is mounted on the Dash, it is unreadable -- the LCD looks very very dim/dark.

This is because the viewing angle of the LCD is totally incompatible with the 10th Gen Civics dash angle.

The LCD is designed to be viewable from Straight on, to about a 45 deg angle looking down on it.. as you would if you are the driver and the unit was mounted on a Vertical surface.

However, the location it mounts on the Honda Dash slopes at about 60 degrees , with the display point up at 60 degrees.
When you view it, you are therefor actually viewing it from an angle BELOW its straight on view, and at angles below Straight on view, the LCD viewing angle is such, that the LCD appears to be virtually black.

In order to view you, you have to lean forward, with your face so far forward, that your chin is on top of the steering wheel.

So yes, when the alarm goes off, you can contort yourself forward, and are able to read it, but it might not be advisable to do so when driving !!!

It is UNREADABLE from a normal driving position !!!

It's a shame, its a nice unit, and is probably bright enough (when viewed at the correct angle) , to be visible in relatively bright sunlight, but I will not be fitting it to my SI.

Instead I will stick with the Bigger unit, in the center Smartphone pocket.

TPMS-SI-3.jpg

The Dash unit can display PSI, but the Deg C cannot be changed to Deg F.

So, bear this in mind before you drop $84 dollars on this TPMS, unless you can accept these limitations.

The unit was obviously designed for a VERTICAL Dash mounting .
Very strange that making it Honda 10the gen fitting, the manufacturer did not notice the viewing angle issue. :doh:
If you look at AliExpress and another other china-based online stores, there are plenty of similar switch button shaped solution. I think this one is just based off the same 'mold' without further thought of adjusting it for better readability (even though it has more info to display) The maker probably didn't have a degree in UX :/

I noticed this unit (or similar unit) on YouTube, when the alarm goes off, it does not stop beeping until you acknowledge it? Is that true? That sounds practically annoying.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
If you look at AliExpress and another other china-based online stores, there are plenty of similar switch button shaped solution. I think this one is just based off the same 'mold' without further thought of adjusting it for better readability (even though it has more info to display) The maker probably didn't have a degree in UX :/

I noticed this unit (or similar unit) on YouTube, when the alarm goes off, it does not stop beeping until you acknowledge it? Is that true? That sounds practically annoying.
That is true -- you have to press one of it's buttons to silence it, but after a time, if the fault is not corrected the alarm starts again. I think its about 10 minutes, but I was not paying that much attention on the sound, I was more concerned with what I could not see !!

SO I wonder if any of the other ones are any better ?
I'll let someone else spend a few $'s to find out .
This one is not the one to get .. IMHO

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
That is true -- you have to press one of it's buttons to silence it, but after a time, if the fault is not corrected the alarm starts again. I think its about 10 minutes, but I was not paying that much attention on the sound, I was more concerned with what I could not see !!

SO I wonder if any of the other ones are any better ?
I'll let someone else spend a few $'s to find out .
This one is not the one to get .. IMHO
Perhaps the guy with the similar style product (lights only for each wheel instead of psi counter) can chime in his long term review.
EDIT: t'was @Andjoo

Last edited:

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The unit I have, I have no problems with readability of the display. The lights are pretty bright.
When the alarm goes off, you do have to acknowledge it (I haven't tested to see if it will ever shut off on its own).
Not really annoying, since it's not something that goes off very often. And personally, I don't mind it this way.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's the seller on eBay (this is where I bought mine).

A few weeks ago he had a few more listed, but they sold pretty quick.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283421297175?ViewItem=&item=283421297175
This one is an INDIRECT TPMS-- it does NOT measure the pressure, but uses an Indirect method, like the USA OEM TPMS system in the USA Civics,
But at least it does tell you which tire is low !!

Because it is indirect, and does not need it's own Tire Pressure sensors, I can see why it might be a reasonable option to those in Canada , who do not currently have any TPMS on their Civics !!

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This one is an INDIRECT TPMS-- it does NOT measure the pressure, but uses an Indirect method, like the USA OEM TPMS system in the USA Civics,
But at least it does tell you which tire is low !!

Because it is indirect, and does not need it's own Tire Pressure sensors, I can see why it might be a reasonable option to those in Canada , who do not currently have any TPMS on their Civics !!
Correct. I wouldn't have purchased if we had oem tpms like other countries. But a good option for us Canadians :)

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Correct. I wouldn't have purchased if we had oem tpms like other countries. But a good option for us Canadians :)
We're with you Canadians. Knowing which tire need attention saves some time.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We're with you Canadians. Knowing which tire need attention saves some time.
You would have thought that since the tire information seems to be on the Can-Bus, that the head unit should be able to have an App that displayed which tire was bad, when one was detected to be lower than the rest.

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
You would have thought that since the tire information seems to be on the Can-Bus, that the head unit should be able to have an App that displayed which tire was bad, when one was detected to be lower than the rest.
Perhaps this could be a "there's an app for that" kind of situation
Sponsored