Does Maintenance Minder account for Fuel/Oil Dilution

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
will the oil life adjust based on fuel dilution? I'm @ about 70% life but my "next service" is late next month if I were to do 6-month oil changes

i use premium fuel (exxon), full synthetic 0W-20 ... wasn't sure if I should simply stick to the MM reminder or change every 6 months regardless. Only drive about 8K miles/year but I do avoid short trips and usually warm the car up to operating temp before hitting the highways.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
will the oil life adjust based on fuel dilution? I'm @ about 70% life but my "next service" is late next month if I were to do 6-month oil changes

i use premium fuel (exxon), full synthetic 0W-20 ... wasn't sure if I should simply stick to the MM reminder or change every 6 months regardless. Only drive about 8K miles/year but I do avoid short trips and usually warm the car up to operating temp before hitting the highways.
Indirectly -- yes. Check your Dip-stick and sniff your dip stick !!
Then you can decide what you want to do.

If your were to add what State you were in to your profile, that might influence the advice you get. Alaska - New Mexico .. BIG difference

(That was easy)

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

I'm sure the Honda Maintenance Minder follows a simple formula to calculate when you should change your oil and I'd be willing to bet the farm on the fact that it doesn't include a problem like fuel dilution which they don't even really acknowledge.

Also, not sure if you meant that you let your car idle until it's at "operating temp" but if so, don't. Long cold engine idling is supposedly a major factor in this whole fuel/oil dilution situation.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Of course not,

Honda doesn't fully acknowledge this problem, so if they *intentionally* compensated for fuel dilution in the maintenance minder... Well, you decide.

Nice try though!!

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you can be pretty much 100% positive that the Maintenance minder does NOT take into account fuel/oil dilution. If they programmed the MM to do this then that inherently means they knew the engine was faulty in the first place and went ahead with production and sold it to consumers without notification. Even a third rate lawyer with a C- graduation GPA could eat Honda Motor company alive in court if they could prove Honda knew about the faulty engine and sold it anyway by demonstrating they programmed their MM to account for the faulty engine design.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
you can be pretty much 100% positive that the Maintenance minder does NOT take into account fuel/oil dilution. If they programmed the MM to do this then that inherently means they knew the engine was faulty in the first place and went ahead with production and sold it to consumers without notification. Even a third rate lawyer with a C- graduation GPA could eat Honda Motor company alive in court if they could prove Honda knew about the faulty engine and sold it anyway by demonstrating they programmed their MM to account for the faulty engine design.
What would be the “mission impossible” not only for your third grade lawyer, but even a top of the class one, is to prove that the engine is “faulty”. On the basis of “one guy in China smelled gas in the car and codes popped up.” Almost any engine ever made is faulty in a similar way, when you read the internet.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
If the MM actually knew anything about your oil, you wouldn't have to manually reset the MM. You'd change the oil and it would know it was freshly changed oil. The MM knows nothing other than how the car has been driven and possibly the time since the MM was reset.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Why is your fuel diluted / why are you diluting it and what is it being diluted with?

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Indirectly -- yes. Check your Dip-stick and sniff your dip stick !!
Then you can decide what you want to do.

If your were to add what State you were in to your profile, that might influence the advice you get. Alaska - New Mexico .. BIG difference

(That was easy)
I like your new avatar ;
Honda Civic 10th gen Does Maintenance Minder account for Fuel/Oil Dilution Capture d’écran, le 2019-01-10 à 07.42.33

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The nonsense levels of these fuel dilutions threads is getting out of hand...

Faulty engine, C- lawyers, and now oil change sensors...

Every Direct Injected engine has fuel dilution. There is nothing wrong with the motor. There is also nothing wrong with fuel being in your oil. For the love of God, please stop spreading misinformation and raging about things you don't even understand.

OP
OP

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag

Every Direct Injected engine has fuel dilution. There is nothing wrong with the motor. There is also nothing wrong with fuel being in your oil. For the love of God, please stop spreading misinformation and raging about things you don't even understand.
at what point did I "rage", "Spread misinformation", or literally mention anything in 90% of your pointless response (I did mention fuel dilution, because it's actually a thing so got me there)? I simply asked a question of whether it would be more prudent to change the oil every 6 months regardless of % oil life due to dilution and/or if this would impact the MM/other service intervals.

Thank you for absolutely nothing whatsoever. Have a lovely day Mr. Cranky Internet Man.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Every Direct Injection ?
I never see oil dilution on any on our family previous cars witch was direct injection neither on our 2 Civic in the family .
I always do our oil change ( and more ) since many decades

First time in my life I heard about that is here in the Civic with Turbo forum.

Any explanation ?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Every Direct Injection ?
I never see oil dilution on any on our family previous cars witch was direct injection neither on our 2 Civic in the family .
I always do our oil change ( and more ) since many decades

First time in my life I heard about that is here in the Civic with Turbo forum.

Any explanation ?
Did you do any oil analysis reports on those vehicles?

Go to any WRX forum, Mini Cooper forum, F150 forum, any car with a TCDI engine and you're going to see this all over the place. I will admit that this Civic community is by far the most vocal about it. I have a feeling that's because lots of automotive news outlets are writing about it a lot.
at what point did I "rage", "Spread misinformation", or literally mention anything in 90% of your pointless response (I did mention fuel dilution, because it's actually a thing so got me there)? I simply asked a question of whether it would be more prudent to change the oil every 6 months regardless of % oil life due to dilution and/or if this would impact the MM/other service intervals.

Thank you for absolutely nothing whatsoever. Have a lovely day Mr. Cranky Internet Man.
You're very welcome Mr. Whats-a-search. We've already got 50+ other threads about this already...

Also I wasn't directly speaking to you, hence why I didn't quote anybody.
Sponsored