Does extended idling cause oil dilution?

OP
OP
Nessism

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Wow, tons of thread drift here. My original question is pretty simple: can idling cause oil dilution? Apparently the answer is unknown, or possibly not enough to matter.

Regarding how to check the oil, the manual states to begin with a running engine and then shut down. Reasons seem clear: Honda wants oil to be distributed throughout the engine. Then the oil is to be checked after 3 mins to allow some, but possibly not all, of the oil to drain back. Seems reasonable to me.
Sponsored

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, tons of thread drift here. My original question is pretty simple: can idling cause oil dilution? Apparently the answer is unknown, or possibly not enough to matter.

Regarding how to check the oil, the manual states to begin with a running engine and then shut down. Reasons seem clear: Honda wants oil to be distributed throughout the engine. Then the oil is to be checked after 3 mins to allow some, but possibly not all, of the oil to drain back. Seems reasonable to me.
I hear ya, I asked a while back if running the car during remote start was exactly the same as idling it after fully starting it and never got an answer. I remote start it to get it up to temp to avoid fuel pollution, but then I heard letting it idle causes more, so I have no clue :(

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
My original question is pretty simple: can idling cause oil dilution? Apparently the answer is unknown, or possibly not enough to matter.
I hear ya, I asked a while back if running the car during remote start was exactly the same as idling it after fully starting it and never got an answer. I remote start it to get it up to temp to avoid fuel pollution, but then I heard letting it idle causes more, so I have no clue :(
The short answer is no, not really. At least if you drive long enough to get the oil to operating temps.

The issue with idling (following a cold start) is that it takes much longer for the oil to heat up, which in turn is what is needed to help burn off excess fuel & water vapor in the crankcase. As long as your oil gets to operating temps at some point in your drive, the vapors should dissipate.

Side note: Checking for dilution by looking for changes on the dipstick is one of the most unreliable methods available. In typical cases, the level only rises a few mm, which is next to impossible to check consistently. Let alone ensuring your car is on a perfectly flat surface. In extreme cases, you'll smell the fuel as you pull for a reading, long before you actually read the dipstick itself. :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited: