Does extended idling cause oil dilution?

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Sorry for yet another oil dilution thread but wondering about this specific situation. I often sit in my car at lunch time and depending on the need for AC/heat I'll run the engine. Recently checked the oil and noticed it was about 5mm over the full mark. This might have just been a mistake when changing the oil but thought I'd ask in case anyone knows how the DI behaves during extended idling.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I would think it would. Idling burns a ton of fuel, as the engine is running very rich under those conditions. If the engine is as prone to blow-by as the oil dilution problem suggests, then it's probably reasonable that fuel could get by the pison rings when idling as there's a lot of fuel being injected.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This might have just been a mistake when changing the oil but thought I'd ask in case anyone knows how the DI behaves during extended idling.

Alway check you oil lever after a change.

OP
OP
Nessism

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
I did check the oil after changing. I ran the car for a min or so and shut down, then waited for a min or so and checked. The level was good, or so I thought. It's a little hard to see clean oil on the dipstick though.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Waiting few minutes is too short , oil are very where except in the oil pan.

Check level after 1 hour waiting

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Oil expands when hot and your level will rise slightly. If you check your oil as Honda recommends which is at operating temp, waiting 3 min or so is fine and will give you an accurate reading.

Checking after an oil change without the engine fully warmed is not as accurate as the oil is not hot and expanded.

The difference in level between fully hot and fully cold is approx 1mm. Not enough to really matter.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oil expands when hot and your level will rise slightly. If you check your oil as Honda recommends which is at operating temp, waiting 3 min or so is fine and will give you an accurate reading.

Checking after an oil change without the engine fully warmed is not as accurate as the oil is not hot and expanded.

The difference in level between fully hot and fully cold is approx 1mm. Not enough to really matter.

Can you see 1mm ( close to 3/64 inches ) difference on the dipstick ?

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I will do my own test after 3 minutes when engine is warm and after one hour
Who said 1 hour. Fully hot or fully cold is what I said. Some manufacturers want you to check it cold and some hot (not warm). I've never seen anyone say wait an hour. The calibration on the dipstick is set to be checked when hot according to Honda.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Who said 1 hour. Fully hot or fully cold is what I said. Some manufacturers want you to check it cold and some hot (not warm). I've never seen anyone say wait an hour. The calibration on the dipstick is set to be checked when hot according to Honda.
"Who said 1 hour."

Oil must be in the oil pan not every where in engine. We have to wait that all oil go down.
Waiting more than less you could not be wrong.
How can you explain my oil level is always on top not more ?

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm surprised you guys can even get an accurate reading on the dipstick regardless of warm or hot. Whoever designed this dipstick needs their ass kicked

That is not easy ...:banghead:

Can we paint silver or any better color this red plastic end ?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I would think it would. Idling burns a ton of fuel, as the engine is running very rich under those conditions. If the engine is as prone to blow-by as the oil dilution problem suggests, then it's probably reasonable that fuel could get by the pison rings when idling as there's a lot of fuel being injected.
Why would there be a lot of fuel being injected during extended idling? More fuel is injected when the engine is cold, but as the engine reaches the operating temperature it is not a lot. A computer-controlled fuel injected engine uses just as much gas as it needs to, and no more. I expect 1.5T to consume max 0.12 gallon (less than 0.5 L) of fuel per hour of idling. This would cost me less than 40 cents per hour of the most expensive gas I buy at home (Shell 93).

Now I never idled for a continuous hour ever in my life, and I never idle just to keep warm or cool as a principle. So, clearly, idling as much as I need to on average (maybe altogether 1.5 hour a week including red lights) clearly doesn't cost me anything.

Also, the amount of fuel used for idling when warming engines for a reasonable time (several minutes) is insignificant environmentally. Better way for the masses to contribute to cleaner air is to save gas by limiting stupid unnecessary trips. This would save a huge amount of wasted and burned gas.

Sponsored