Does anyone know the thread size for wheel locks for Touring?

OP
OP
RedTouringMA

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase

kered424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the Gorilla Guard Acorn wheel locks. Why not McGard, you ask? Well, a quick youtube search will show many videos on how to remove the McGard wheel locks with an emergency wheel lock remover kit that you can readily purchase at any auto parts store. These emergency kits use sockets with reverse threads that seize onto the wheel lock as you try to unscrew it, allowing you to loosen the lock without the key. The reason why I went with these Gorilla locks is because these locks have a free spinning outer sleeve, so if a thief jams one of those emergency removers on these locks, the outer sleeve will just spin with the socket and does not loosen the nut in any way. However, one thing about these Gorilla locks is that some reviews complain of rust after a couple of years (see amazon reviews), which shouldn't be a problem if you clean it regularly. Another thing, which is purely cosmetic, is that these locks are a lot taller than the stock lug nuts and the McGard locks, so when you put them on, these locks will stick out about 1cm compared to the stock lug nuts.

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-61631-Acorn-Thread/dp/B000CMJ2QE

OP
OP
RedTouringMA

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Gorilla Guard Acorn wheel locks. Why not McGard, you ask? Well, a quick youtube search will show many videos on how to remove the McGard wheel locks with an emergency wheel lock remover kit that you can readily purchase at any auto parts store. These emergency kits use sockets with reverse threads that seize onto the wheel lock as you try to unscrew it, allowing you to loosen the lock without the key. The reason why I went with these Gorilla locks is because these locks have a free spinning outer sleeve, so if a thief jams one of those emergency removers on these locks, the outer sleeve will just spin with the socket and does not loosen the nut in any way. However, one thing about these Gorilla locks is that some reviews complain of rust after a couple of years (see amazon reviews), which shouldn't be a problem if you clean it regularly. Another thing, which is purely cosmetic, is that these locks are a lot taller than the stock lug nuts and the McGard locks, so when you put them on, these locks will stick out about 1cm compared to the stock lug nuts.

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-61631-Acorn-Thread/dp/B000CMJ2QE
I'll get 2 sets of these eventually as well, more protection is better.

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
One set is sufficient. They are just to keep people honest, if someone wants your wheels they are going to get them. Or just damage your car in spite. I'd rather replace wheels then need a quarter panel, glass, roof skin etc.

Wheel locks can also turn into a nightmare on the side of the road trying to change a flat. Only one set for me, makes it easier to keep track of the keys.

OP
OP
RedTouringMA

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One set is sufficient. They are just to keep people honest, if someone wants your wheels they are going to get them. Or just damage your car in spite. I'd rather replace wheels then need a quarter panel, glass, roof skin etc.

Wheel locks can also turn into a nightmare on the side of the road trying to change a flat.
aaronarf, we've already been through that, please read the posts above.

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
Didn't see anyone mention the risk of would-be thieves damaging your vehicle in spite.

OP
OP
RedTouringMA

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't see anyone mention the risk of would-be thieves damaging your vehicle in spite.
aaronaf if I go by what you're saying, even if I have one set of good locks they can't get off, they could damage the car in spite as well so. It is what it is and if anything happens I will deal with it then.

Last edited:

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
would 12x1.25 be a better fit?
This is a bit old but for anyone who comes across this: 12x1.25mm is the threading metrics, not the overall dimensions of the locks. If you get a set of locks that are not 12x1.5mm, you will either not get them onto the lug bolts or you still strip the locks and/or lug bolts. So, unless you change the lug bolts or any other part of the wheel/axle assembly, you will need to purchase 12x1.5mm.

OP
OP
RedTouringMA

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is a bit old but for anyone who comes across this: 12x1.25mm is the threading metrics, not the overall dimensions of the locks. If you get a set of locks that are not 12x1.5mm, you will either not get them onto the lug bolts or you still strip the locks and/or lug bolts. So, unless you change the lug bolts or any other part of the wheel/axle assembly, you will need to purchase 12x1.5mm.
Thanks :) got 2 sets on now to hopefully deterr would be thief

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Speaking of all this again, I looked at the black mcgard locks that I got (and you, @RedTouringMA ), and the ends of them are already rusting.... Not sure how I feel about that. They've only been on for 6 days or something, and the ends are already rusting? How long before they're just little rust lugs?

OP
OP
RedTouringMA

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of all this again, I looked at the black mcgard locks that I got (and you, @RedTouringMA ), and the ends of them are already rusting.... Not sure how I feel about that. They've only been on for 6 days or something, and the ends are already rusting? How long before they're just little rust lugs?
Wow, I will have to check mine. Both sets of mine are Honda ones, but they are made by mcguard. Snowing like mad here so I'll check them tomorrow lol

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, I will have to check mine. Both sets of mine are Honda ones, but they are made by mcguard. Snowing like mad here so I'll check them tomorrow lol
ah, well I figure its the black coated ones that are the problem - I have a Honda set (chrome) as well, and they're fine.

OP
OP
RedTouringMA

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ah, well I figure its the black coated ones that are the problem - I have a Honda set (chrome) as well, and they're fine.
Oh wow, I didnt know there were black coated ones. I plan to add another set of Gorilla brand ones, someone on this thread, I think, said they are better than Hondas or McGuard

OP
OP
RedTouringMA

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I checked mine when I just moved my car for the plow guy, no rust!
I did have a Hyundai Elantra GT that all the lugs (not the locking kind) rusted with in 6 months of ownership. Hyundai replaced them all under warranty.
I'll definitely keep an eye on mine. If the Honda OEM ones don't rust, and the McGuard ones do, I'd wonder what's up with that.
Have you tried contacting McGuard or the place you got yours from to see if you can get them replaced?

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I checked mine when I just moved my car for the plow guy, no rust!
I did have a Hyundai Elantra GT that all the lugs (not the locking kind) rusted with in 6 months of ownership. Hyundai replaced them all under warranty.
I'll definitely keep an eye on mine. If the Honda OEM ones don't rust, and the McGuard ones do, I'd wonder what's up with that.
Have you tried contacting McGuard or the place you got yours from to see if you can get them replaced?
Yeah I was about to look into the warranty on it - my intial read meant that any corrosion on them wouldn't be covered.... so why the hell would they even have a warranty.
Sponsored