Does a dealer really not do a honest job? (Like changing the oil filter?)

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
I need proof for this question and really do not want "opinions" from people who do not like the dealer because they are so expensive. Anyone have experiences where the dealer uses cheap oil (hard to determine) or use cheap filters or dont change the filter at all? Any Honda tech's here? I recently started changing the oil myself because I like to know the jobs getting done right, but for future owners who dont see any service history in "My carfax" or other VIN reporting agencies, they might become a little suspicious...or maybe they might appreciate I am DIY'ing. OK any thoughts on that part?:confused1:
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
If you are anal enough to have these worries, keep a spreadsheet and receipts to show the work you have performed to any prospective buyer.

indicate date/time, mileage and service performed. Done.

You trade the car in, no one gives a poop.

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Touring-'18 Acura RDX Advance
I'd say generally dealers are honest with oil and filter changes but you never really know.
Doing it yourself is better because you can choose brands of oil and filters you want and know what is in the car.

As far as Carfax reporting, keep your oil and filter receipts if selling. Trading in, it doesn't matter.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Depends on the service manager. Some are really good at building their teams and others are just there to cut the check. I have a great relationship with my dealership but did my homework before engaging them (including the sales team). A lot of this ties back to the hiring process and the type of people they employ. Some are desperate to fill a spot while others do their due diligence to get the right guys for the job. Here in So Cal it's much easier to get the right talent vs. more rural areas where good help can be hard to find (/cliche). All this assumes the leadership is invested in building their team.

I understand that the Civic is low margin platform and attracts a lot of owners/drivers on a strict budget. So you may hear quite a few on this board harp about doing your own maintenance. If you have the time (and willingness to learn), there's no one better to care for your car than you. But for those of us with more complex schedules (work, family, school, etc), the time to do the stuff we enjoy may simply be unavailable. So for simple tasks like oil changes/rotations, I simply bring my own oil and pay the dealer $20-30 to do. I am usually in the waiting area on conference calls or knocking out emails. And yes, if you're planning to sell privately vs. trading in, a paper trail with the dealer can help boost the confidence of uneducated buyers.

As with any business, there will always be a potential to game the system. But with a little education you can spot which individuals are straight shooters and which are beating around the bush. And that goes for any industry - not just automotive.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well,I went to my dealer and asked them if they would use a filter I supplied , I had a free oil change with them,they said yea, so I gave them 15.00 royal purple filter, was sitting in my console when they took the car in.
Not only did they over fill the oil, and bent up the metal cover and put in the wrong screws holding it on, but when I changed my own oil the next time, I discovered that they didn't use my filter,nor did they give it back.
Last visit I ever went there for.

Dying2Live

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX Sedan Manual
Country flag
why would anyone take the car to a dealer for something as basic as an oil change? it’s not their car and they don’t care. At least 80% of consumer complaints about any dealer is their “service” department

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
why would anyone take the car to a dealer for something as basic as an oil change? it’s not their car and they don’t care. At least 80% of consumer complaints about any dealer is their “service” department
In my case, I had back surgery, it was cold and wet outside at that time,and a little difficult to get down under it, and it was free.Plus, I was naive and didn't think they could screw up an oil change.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag

Many people don't know how to use tool or they don't a garage to work on car.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I've never had a dealer not doing what's been asked. Sometimes they've incorrectly argued to have their way. Example: I went for an oil change in FL and told the Service Rep. that I wanted them to replace the factory oil plug with a Dimple brand rare earth magnetic oil plug that I provided with a crush washer. The Rep. told me first that the Civic had a factory magnetic plug (which it doesn't) and secondly that if it striped the threads on the oil pan, that's not covered by warranty (obviously). I told him to just replace it with the oil change. When the car was done, he gave me back the factory oil plug. In front of him I said "let's test the factory plug to see if it's magnetic". We did that on his desk. It wasn't magnetic.

As to oil changes, I bought a few A01 filters and give the dealer one of those with 4 quarts of good quality synthetic oil. (By the way, I change my oil every 6K miles - I've been using the Mobil 1 20K oil). Just had my oil changed and tires rotated in Plainfield NJ. Dealer charged me $ 17.99 and did a check of the fluids and gave me a form showing mm of brake pads remaining and tire depth.

If you have concerns about honesty of the dealer you're using, time maybe to change dealers?

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I would rather have someone else change my oil, but I started doing it by myself already long time ago because of very low quality service and low quality people I had to deal with. Oil change places always overfilled, even if I specifically told them not to. When I asked to fill to only half way between the marks on the dipstick (so they don't overfill) they demanded a written consent with a signature of a notary public (almost).... As if writing on their paper or computer receipt "customer asked for under fill" was not enough. Jiffy Lube left my air filter box open....

Dealers have a bit less dense people, but only a bit. When I brought my own oil to Honda, they used it a couple times and "forgot" a couple of other times. No wonder they forget to close the air filter box, forget the screws for the under cover, forget to pour in new oil, and sometimes they forget they left their finger in their anus when they get out of the bathroom. Clearly they don't care much about doing oil changes, so I don't care for their services either.

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder when you ask for 100% synthetic, will they give you a synthetic blend and charge for full synthetic. How do we know? We don't.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
And that is why you should always supply your own oil!

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And that is why you should always supply your own oil!
Many dealers want to use their stock or stay with Honda label approved oil.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
but for future owners who dont see any service history in "My carfax" or other VIN reporting agencies
AFAIK, only Carfax shows service history. You can always sign up for myCARFAX free and add your own service records, not sure if the owner added service records show up for future owners but it might.
Sponsored