Documenting 2016 civic ex-t issues and dealer experience

lyricalyjy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Leased (mid September 2016) my 2016 civic ex-t (no honda sensing)

Over the course of ownership, I have been experiencing multiple small but annoying issues.
Im sure you guys are having similar to same problems.

1. Start up engine grinding noise.
- Reproducing the noise is very difficult sometimes because it does not happen all the time.
- Typically happens when starting up the car after letting it sit for 2 - 3 hours (So technically not a "cold start". *Correct me if Im wrong.

2. Rattling or "buzzing" noise in the dash area.
- Noise seems to be caused by the vibration when the car is revving between 1500 - 2000 rpm. The
noise goes away when I lift my foot off the acceleration pedal.
- I can also hear it going over rough pavement at low speed.

This is a dropbox link which has all the videos I have been documenting for about a month. *Will keep updating them whenever I can.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6ipx3xcxluwhxzw/AACKxm74Exn29NAES6zyreeHa?dl=0

Dealer experience

My first dealer visit was on September 30 2016 to address the issues.
I showed them the videos I have been collecting and addressed civicx.com and youtube videos that have the same exact issue. Unfortunately I was not able to drop off my car the whole day so they were not able to duplicate the issue.

- my fault for not scheduling my time properly

Dealer summary

Honda Civic 10th gen Documenting 2016 civic ex-t issues and dealer experience FullSizeRender

My second dealer visit was on October 21 2016,

- Provided all of the documented videos (videos from dropbox)
- Technician did not bother to even watch the video for diagnosis. Service called me that they were not able to duplicate the start up noise. I asked them if they watched the video and they said they didnt have to (in a polite way).
- Regarding the interior rattle, I clearly stated (and on video) that the noise is coming from the dash and they were checking the center console (wtf?). They said they verified a small noise from the center console and suggested me to replace the entire center console assembly on my next visit (assuming at no cost).
- But they took care of the VSA recall.

The service advisor suggested me to leave me car over night for further diagnosis but I declined because I need my car.

I'm a bit frustrated because I took the time to document each incidents over the month to make their job easier. But didn't even bother to watch them. I understand that they are busy but this is my second visit for the same issue.

Dealer Summary

Honda Civic 10th gen Documenting 2016 civic ex-t issues and dealer experience IMG_3202.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Documenting 2016 civic ex-t issues and dealer experience IMG_3203.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Documenting 2016 civic ex-t issues and dealer experience IMG_3204.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Documenting 2016 civic ex-t issues and dealer experience IMG_3204.JPG

I hope this may be at least somewhat informative for you guys.

Will keep updating if you guys want.

Last edited:

Turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda EX-T, 98 TJ
Country flag
I have a rattling noise coming from my dash in the same rpm range. Not sure where from.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I say this without meaning any offence because I know you're a good guy on these boards, but I too have both those issues randomly, but it didn't bother me to the point where I took it in.

Is it really that big of an annoyance? I mean, yes of course its annoying, but if the starter fails it'll be replaced, and the rattle is only intermittent at best.

For me, I mentioned the startup noise when I went in to get my door re-aligned, and dealer said they could not reproduce, but have documented it, and to bring it when it becomes more frequent.
Same for the rattle, I know exactly what you're talking about, but it goes away either when you pass that RPM area or let off the gas a bit. I donno if it's in the engine bay or in the cabin.

Turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda EX-T, 98 TJ
Country flag
I'm with you, I'm not sure I feel comfortable having my dash torn apart just for a intermittent dash noise. It's funny you mention your door needed to be re aligned. I had to bring mine in as well for the same thing. It was my drivers side front door.

OP
OP
lyricalyjy

lyricalyjy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
i agree with both you guys.
if you guys get the chance to download and watch 10/14/16 p3 and p4 under interior rattle folder in the dropbox, my rattle insanely loud.
its just super annoying

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Someone mentioned wiggling the wires underneath the steering wheel and it temporarily fixed the buzzing noise. I did that and it sounded worse and also caused a new weird clicking noise. So I wiggled some more and it stopped. What I'm thinking is that between 1500 and 1800 rpm the engine vibrates more and sends it into the cabin and causing the wire(s) under there to buzz. I'm no mechanic so don't quote me in anything.

Mine also at times gets pretty loud and annoying. I like to drive in silence sometimes and listen to the turbo but then I get annoyed with the buzzing so i turn the music on and have to listen to the subwoofer rattle.

Start up grind for me is also very embarrassing and worrisome. If something goes when it's out of warranty that's caused by the grinding I'm going to be very angry. I feel your pain man I have many issues with this car from the start. Another member said he remembered me complaining months back when he only had a couple issues and now he's having tons of problems.

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
This may not be the same issue you guys are having. But I had a rattle coming from my dash area as well. I found that when holding the foot AC vent, the noise went away. IF you guys decide to try that, and the issue does go away, then its the same issue. What my dealership did to fix the issue was take the part off, wrap it with foam, and put it back. I haven't heard any issues since.

OP
OP
lyricalyjy

lyricalyjy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
This may not be the same issue you guys are having. But I had a rattle coming from my dash area as well. I found that when holding the foot AC vent, the noise went away. IF you guys decide to try that, and the issue does go away, then its the same issue. What my dealership did to fix the issue was take the part off, wrap it with foam, and put it back. I haven't heard any issues since.
ill try that thanks

illi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
Has anyone successfully gotten Honda dealership to fix the start up grinding noise?
I also have the same start up grinding noise. I asked the dealer before and they just said it's common in the CVT model. -_- Do I tell them there's a service bulletin for this issue and they need to fix it?
Sponsored