Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
So i put my car on a lift today and tried removing the top caliper bolt to paint them.

The bolt snapped half way through n the rest of the bolt is still in the socket. My caliper is loose and i cant drive the car far. Im towing it to the dealer and will go to the dealer first thing in the morning.

Its as if they wanted the bolt to break so i would have to pay more to fix it. Never seen a bolt break like this so easily and i will let you know the cost tomorow

Honda Civic 10th gen Do not try to remove caliper bolts IMG_4319.JPG
Sponsored

Sman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EX Hatch w/ Sensing
Not saying you did this, but by the looks of the torque marks on the top of the bolt (black arrow) and how the bolt broke (two yellow arrows), it looks like your were tightening it. Again not saying that is what happened. I have had bolts break on me and I'm 6' 5" 200 lbs......

Honda Civic 10th gen Do not try to remove caliper bolts IMG_4319.JPG

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
What a mess, all to have some nice looking calipers.. :doh:

OP
OP
partialprint

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
maybe my boy tightened first either way its a cheap bolt, I ended up driving it home and to work today after visiting the dealer.

I was able to get the remaining piece of the bolt out of the caliper pin

the dealer said the bolt is $50 and it will take 1 week from cali I was like I'm not paying $50 for a bolt thats gunna break so I went to home depot and got a bolt that will work for 66 cents it is a 8 x 1.0 btw 25 thread length

Its at a local shop getting fixed now while I'm at work a block away

OP
OP
partialprint

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
nobody blamed honda for anything

OP
OP
partialprint

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
funny I got the caliper bolt put in by a local shop by my job... They scratched my rim while it was in their possession so I complained, I got them to paint my calipers today for free to make up for it. Which is what I was trying to do in the first place

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
funny I got the caliper bolt put in by a local shop by my job... They scratched my rim while it was in their possession so I complained, I got them to paint my calipers today for free to make up for it. Which is what I was trying to do in the first place
Maybe they should have had the car in the first place? :hmm:

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Those caliper bolts are not high torque bolts so it doesn't take much to break them. The bolt broke from over-tightening , but I realize it was a simple mistake. There is no Honda bolt that is $50 , they must have been quoting you an installed price. I've purchased every bolt possible on my other Honda which typically costs more than double what similar parts cost on Civics (due to economies of scale) and I've never paid more than a few bucks for dealer supplied bolts.

OP
OP
partialprint

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The car has been out in america about a month. The guy at parts told me the bolt was $50. either way i paid 66 cents at home depot. And yes I kno my friend tightened the bolt and it shouldnt have been there in the first place but ish happens.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag

Guardian7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatchback, 2015 CR-V EX
Vehicle Showcase
The car has been out in America about a month. The guy at parts told me the bolt was $50. either way i paid 66 cents at home depot. And yes I know my friend tightened the bolt and it shouldn't have been there in the first place but ish happens.
Did you replace it with a grade 8 bolt? I've had my calipers on/off multiple times without issue but these bolts are easy to over torque without a Torque Wrench.

Front brake caliper bolt torque = 34 N·m (3.5 kgf·m, 25 lbf·ft)

Last edited:

ssmith

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Toyota 4Runner, 90 Civic SI, 17 Civic SI
Country flag
righty tighy, lefty.....

I do multiple brake jobs on hondas and acuras a week. Thousands over the years. NEVER seen one of those bolts break unless they were cross thread with an impact gun. The bolt is less than a dollar....
Sponsored