First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hello,

I recently ordered a ton of upgrades for my 2017 EX-T 6MT sedan. I have yet to install all of them, but once everything is said and done, this will be what is installed:

Hondata FlashPro, will be running a custom tune
Injen Catback exhaust
PRL Big Turbo Kit w/ GT2871R Turbo .64 Housing
PRL Cobra CAI with Race Housing
PRL Intercooler with upgraded charge pipes
PRL Catless Downpipe
PRL Frontpipe
FX350 Clutch w/ Braided Steel Clutch line
SiriMoto E85 Kit
PowerStop Street Warrior Brake Kit

I'm also running 235/45r17 tires. It's the stock width for the SI, but not EX-T.

For reference, this is a daily driver, that I tend to drive aggressively. I don't go to the track with it, but won't say I never will. Obviously I purchased all these upgrades to use them, but most of my driving will just be normal highway miles.

Initially I did not have a concern about the rods based on what I have read from people that have modded their civics, but I was recently reading that the SI (which is what most of you are modding) actually has upgraded rods over the EX-T.

My question is with all those power upgrades, is upgrading the rods a necessary upgrade for me (as the clutch was), or just something that really isn't needed? I really don't want to throw a rod and end up with a hole in the side of my engine.

Also, if I do need to upgrade the rods, how do the Brian Crowers stack up? Should I be looking at another brand?

If I end up doing a rod upgrade, since I will already have the engine opened up, is there anything else that should be changed / upgraded at that time?

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Upgrading the rods wouldn't hurt for sure. With those mods, the power increase over stock will be massive.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On a Si, your rods would be fine. However, I have seen a lot of stories of non-Si's bending/throwing rods when aggressively tuned. If you have the funds and means to do so, upgrade the rods and pistons. BC makes great stuff, so you can't go wrong with them.

OP
OP
Bludrok

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You think I need to upgrade the pistons as well? I do have the funds and means to do it if needed, but I don't want to do it just because.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
You think I need to upgrade the pistons as well? I do have the funds and means to do it if needed, but I don't want to do it just because.
Better safe than sorry if you’re going this far, unless it makes more sense trading in for an si. You really need lsd to lay down the power properly, which you’ll be lacking in an ex-t

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
If you're getting a custom tune by someone that knows hondas especially the new 10th gens. I'm sure they'll give you feedback that the rods are gunna give out in the long run. Also a tuner won't go balls out knowing your motor can't handle the power. Talk to your tuner, like some people have said there's been a couple numbers of Non Si's models throwing rods

OP
OP
Bludrok

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If you're getting a custom tune by someone that knows hondas especially the new 10th gens. I'm sure they'll give you feedback that the rods are gunna give out in the long run. Also a tuner won't go balls out knowing your motor can't handle the power. Talk to your tuner, like some people have said there's been a couple numbers of Non Si's models throwing rods
I definitely appreciate the advice. From what I have heard already, I am going to be upgrading the rods.

Are the pistons in my EX-T different than what is in the SI? If not, I think I will just keep the stock. If there is a difference, then I will have them replaced while the engine is opened up.

Do you guys think there any other small items I should upgrade since the engine will already be opened?

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Alot of people think the Si's & EX-T etc are the same. Same motor concept but internals are different i cant give you a forsure on which are different / same but the Si is more durable upon upgrades. Reading & seeing other 10th gen owners the main problem is the clutch & rods. Keep doing your research.

OP
OP
Bludrok

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The pistons are indeed different. I just looked up the part numbers.

Supercell

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EX-T Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was doing some research on this the other day as well - looked like the pistons, rods, and intake cam are different. Not sure where the compression ratio difference is - either the head space or rings. There is also the aftermarket option for LSD that will keep you from having to try and source the drive shafts along with the LSD if you are going there too.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Y
I was doing some research on this the other day as well - looked like the pistons, rods, and intake cam are different. Not sure where the compression ratio difference is - either the head space or rings. There is also the aftermarket option for LSD that will keep you from having to try and source the drive shafts along with the LSD if you are going there too.
Yep. That’s why maybe it’s cheaper to get an actual si depending on how much a loss in trade would be

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I second the trade it in for an Si idea. You get a limited slip diff and stronger engine internals. Somewhat better suspension too. With the mods you're doing it's almost a no brainer to go that route if you can financially swing it.

Last edited:

JC671

Youtube: JaySi.671
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI, '90 GTR, '10 370z, '90 Mr2 Turbo
Country flag
If money is an non issue and you haven’t touched the car yet. Trade in for Si Sedan so you can use all the same parts. I’m unsure of how the layout is of your sedan exhaust with that trim model but everything else should transfer.

Otherwise you are on your way. Since you are upgrading the turbo and the inlet that’s a non factor. What others have said the Si rods are slightly thicker, and yes the Si comes with lsd.

Up to you wherever you decide. The Si so far MAP has taken it to 400whp and have yet to use their custom fully built block. I’d suggest to have two different tunes maps on that’s slightly less aggressive and then a map that’s fully tuned within limits...... good luck. You got a nice build list so far.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hondata's boom boom tune you will soon enough lol