DIY: Using sorbothane to fix Touring subwoofer rattle

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Is there a chance the outwards pressure on the rear window especially when playing music, could it eventually lead to the rear window "popping" out or losing proper seal?
Sponsored

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder if they'd be visible at all in my rear view window. Mine is tinted to 20% and in most lighting it's practically black.
They would probably be less visible, maybe a few dots that a blacker than the rest of the glass.

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there a chance the outwards pressure on the rear window especially when playing music, could it eventually lead to the rear window "popping" out or losing proper seal?
I thought about that, and that's partly why I got the softest ones they make at duro 30. Total force they are putting is probably less than 1lb total. When playing music they absorb the force and deform. If anything it may save the rear glass, since otherwise the brake light would be banging against it.

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I thought about that, and that's partly why I got the softest ones they make at duro 30. Total force they are putting is probably less than 1lb total. When playing music they absorb the force and deform. If anything it may save the rear glass, since otherwise the brake light would be banging against it.
Oh very interesting. I was thinking they were firmer. Thanks.

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh very interesting. I was thinking they were firmer. Thanks.
They are similar to a gummy bear, this duro level is a bit softer. Kind of like a gumdrop.

FLcardio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
You would think it would be pretty easy for Honda to manufacturer some sort of surround piece made of similar material that then could just be placed around the perimeter of the brake light housing piece made of this sort of material.

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You would think it would be pretty easy for Honda to manufacturer some sort of surround piece made of similar material that then could just be placed around the perimeter of the brake light housing piece made of this sort of material.
Hopefully they see this and do just that.

asdf916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
Country flag
Glad you were able to fix the rattling so easily, but I think I'm too vain to put those nubs on there like that.

iqflash

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Alto, Suzuki Cultus

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Two weeks in and so far so good. Now that it's getting hot I find the bumpers can get pretty soft and stay flat, but they still absorb the vibrations fine and there is no rattle.

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Hopefully they see this and do just that.
I have contacted Honda America Customer Service and was assigned a case manager that helped work with my dealership to provide me a fix. They told me they removed the rear deck and applied dynamat or foam tape between the rear deck and the sheet metal under it. It sounded absolutely perfect when I picked it up, but that only lasted a few days. Now I seem to only have the rattle if its cooler than 65 degrees F outside. I mentioned to my case manager I may pursue this method as a temporary fix until Honda creates an official TSB for this issue. I also suggested to my case manager that perhaps some sort of rubber sheath placed around the rear brake light housing may be the cheapest fix Honda can apply large scale.

spnewera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Black
I got mine in place today. Definitely took care of the rattle!
I used an xacto knife to push the rubber into place.. I didn't realize how small the opening between the rear window and passenger seat's. It really slopes like a coupe haha.

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got mine in place today. Definitely took care of the rattle!
I used an xacto knife to push the rubber into place.. I didn't realize how small the opening between the rear window and passenger seat's. It really slopes like a coupe haha.
Nice, good to see it working for someone else. It is really narrow back there. I ended up ordering some really long tweezers so I could re-position them to be more hidden.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G9BEH1W/

The bumpers are the only solution that has worked long term for me. Let us know how they keep working for you.
Sponsored