DIY: Using sorbothane to fix Touring subwoofer rattle

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are a lot of solutions people have tried in order to fix the subwoofer rattle problem in their touring. Some are as simple as padding around the 3rd brake light in the trunk. Others are more extensive and involve removing the rear deck. Materials range from socks to foam to dynamat. I have posted my own fix here:

http://www.civicx.com/threads/touring-subwoofer-rattle-fix-and-dampening.1297/

This did work pretty well for a while, but I have found that the foam can compress over time. This can cause it to shift out of place and otherwise lose effectiveness. So I started researching for a better material and came across something called sorbothane. It's a visco-elastic polymer designed to absorb vibration. I ordered these little domes:

http://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbothane-Hemisphere-Non-Skid-Durometer/dp/B0084EKSNI

I wanted something small so it wouldn't be too visible. I also wanted something about 1/4" thick. That's about the right thickness so that it just squeezes between the brake light and the rear window. For sorbothane to work properly, it needs to be under a slight load so that it bulges on the sides. I chose a durometer level of 30 because it won't have a lot of weight on it.

To apply it, I removed the backing to expose the adhesive and put it on the edge of the putty knife so that just a little bit was on the edge. I then pushed down the rear deck and slid it between the brake light and the rear glass. After releasing pressure on the deck it should be squeezed in there so you can gently remove the putty knife. Here is how it looks.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Using sorbothane to fix Touring subwoofer rattle P5150071 (Large)
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Using sorbothane to fix Touring subwoofer rattle P5150072 (Large)
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Using sorbothane to fix Touring subwoofer rattle P5150073 (Large)
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Using sorbothane to fix Touring subwoofer rattle P5150074 (Large)

You can push it in a bit more from the side with the putty knife so it's less visible. I used a total of 4, one near the bottom of each side and one near the top corner of each side.

After testing, I found that it totally eliminated the rattle. Since it's got adhesive on one side and it's tacky it should not move at all. I anticipate that it should last a long time since it's often used for machines and electronics. The only concerns are if sunlight will effect it over time and it may leave some stains. The stains aren't too much concern since it's such a small area and it's pretty hidden.

I've posted video of the results. In the video you can see the audio settings I am using, along with the volume level. The volume is turned all the way up on the phone, which is a click higher than it normally would be. You can see that the bass is loud enough to visible shake the mirror, but you don't hear rattling or smacking at all. I'm very pleased with the results. I will update later about it's longevity. Feel free to ask questions or offer suggestions. Enjoy.

Update: 6 weeks in and the fix is holding up well.

Last edited:

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I was thinking the same thing but would use Duro 40 neoprene rubber that we stock at work in different thicknesses. Glad to hear your fix worked well.

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing but would use Duro 40 neoprene rubber that we stock at work in different thicknesses. Glad to hear your fix worked well.
Nice. I was using a neoprene foam, not sure of the duro. The neoprene rubber will probably last longer. Would love to hear how it works out. Someone at Honda needs to browse this forum and try out the different solutions so they can do it for everyone. Maybe they could have a contest or something.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
It's funny, the way your rear windshield vibrates is how my dash cam footage looks like because I play my music loud enough to shake the windshield and shake the camera. Lol.

There are a lot of solutions people have tried in order to fix the subwoofer rattle problem in their touring. Some are as simple as padding around the 3rd brake light in the trunk. Others are more extensive and involve removing the rear deck. Materials range from socks to foam to dynamat. I have posted my own fix here:

http://www.civicx.com/threads/touring-subwoofer-rattle-fix-and-dampening.1297/

This did work pretty well for a while, but I have found that the foam can compress over time. This can cause it to shift out of place and otherwise lose effectiveness. So I started researching for a better material and came across something called sorbothane. It's a visco-elastic polymer designed to absorb vibration. I ordered these little domes:

http://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbothane-Hemisphere-Non-Skid-Durometer/dp/B0084EKSNI

I wanted something small so it wouldn't be too visible. I also wanted something about 1/4" thick. That's about the right thickness so that it just squeezes between the brake light and the rear window. For sorbothane to work properly, it needs to be under a slight load so that it bulges on the sides. I chose a durometer level of 30 because it won't have a lot of weight on it.

To apply it, I removed the backing to expose the adhesive and put it on the edge of the putty knife so that just a little bit was on the edge. I then pushed down the rear deck and slid it between the brake light and the rear glass. After releasing pressure on the deck it should be squeezed in there so you can gently remove the putty knife. Here is how it looks.

P5150071 (Large).jpg
P5150072 (Large).jpg
P5150073 (Large).jpg
P5150074 (Large).jpg

You can push it in a bit more from the side with the putty knife so it's less visible. I used a total of 4, one near the bottom of each side and one near the top corner of each side.

After testing, I found that it totally eliminated the rattle. Since it's got adhesive on one side and it's tacky it should not move at all. I anticipate that it should last a long time since it's often used for machines and electronics. The only concerns are if sunlight will effect it over time and it may leave some stains. The stains aren't too much concern since it's such a small area and it's pretty hidden.

I've posted video of the results. In the video you can see the audio settings I am using, along with the volume level. The volume is turned all the way up on the phone, which is a click higher than it normally would be. You can see that the bass is loud enough to visible shake the mirror, but you don't hear rattling or smacking at all. I'm very pleased with the results. I will update later about it's longevity. Feel free to ask questions or offer suggestions. Enjoy.

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's funny, the way your rear windshield vibrates is how my dash cam footage looks like because I play my music loud enough to shake the windshield and shake the camera. Lol.
I wonder if you could use some sorbothane on the dash cam mount to isolate it. I see a lot of drone enthusiasts using it to mount their cameras.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking about cutting out the round spot in the middle of my rear dash and putting a subwoofer in there. If I do, this may come in handy. I wouldn't be going all out with mine....probably a pioneer 8" and a small amp.

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was thinking about cutting out the round spot in the middle of my rear dash and putting a subwoofer in there. If I do, this may come in handy. I wouldn't be going all out with mine....probably a pioneer 8" and a small amp.
Make sure it's a free-air sub. Would you have to cut metal or is the cutout there in the LX also?

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure it's a free-air sub. Would you have to cut metal or is the cutout there in the LX also?
Yeah, I know to use a free-air sub. I was bumping when Cypress Hill was new. The spot I was talking about is metal. Won't be hard, I've got the tools. It looks like it was designed with a subwoofer in mind. Its about a 8-10" dipped circle. Maybe it's used that way on the upper models?

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I know to use a free-air sub. I was bumping when Cypress Hill was new. The spot I was talking about is metal. Won't be hard, I've got the tools. It looks like it was designed with a subwoofer in mind. Its about a 8-10" dipped circle. Maybe it's used that way on the upper models?
Yes, that's were the sub goes on the touring. I just wasn't sure if it's already cut out on all models. Would have made life easier, just having to cut the plastic rear deck cover.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that's were the sub goes on the touring. I just wasn't sure if it's already cut out on all models. Would have made life easier, just having to cut the plastic rear deck cover.
Cutting it out wont be too bad. Plus, I won't have to modify the plastic dash cover, the Coupes have a speaker grille all the way across.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cutting it out wont be too bad. Plus, I won't have to modify the plastic dash cover, the Coupes have a speaker grille all the way across.:thumbsup:
Nice, that's convenient.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@hondo Thanks for the post. Wow, that's an impressive example of bass-handling and it seems like a pretty simple solution compared to all those other options of foam, dynamat, etc. I've never cranked mine that loud so I imagine it should work well for me. I get some pretty nasty rattling at about volume 13-15 with the subwoofer set to the middle level. I'm going to check with Honda to see if they have a solution for me yet but if not, maybe I can get them to buy those little stoppers for me (and they can use the extras for other customers).

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are they really visible from the outside?
Slightly, you would have to look for them. You can see them in the last picture. It's actually less visible than the foam I was using before.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Slightly, you would have to look for them. You can see them in the last picture. It's actually less visible than the foam I was using before.
I wonder if they'd be visible at all in my rear view window. Mine is tinted to 20% and in most lighting it's practically black.
Sponsored