DIY: Trunk Closer Handle

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
So, about 2 weeks into ownership now, and am finding small annoyances that aren't present in other cars - granted, it's "just a Civic", but nothing a little DIY can't fix.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Closer Handle CANsoCh

I absolutely HATE seeing this when the trunk lid gets dirty, which seems to be all the time with the Civic. Some models of previous year Accords had this, so I added a trunk closer handle on the inside.

Honda cheaped out again for 2016 and didn't include this on ANY of the Accords, but left the cutouts in the trunk. Unfortunately not so for the Civic.

Things you'll need:

- Handle from the Accord: Part # 84635-SEA-003ZF (cost me $12.00 in Canada; my American friends get this much cheaper I think)
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Closer Handle 84635-sea-003zf3_750x562

- A 1" bolt, 2 washers, and a nut; donno what the thickness was as I used one that was lying around, but buy the handle first, and judge from there
- A "T mend plate"; bought from local hardware store for $0.67
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Closer Handle nm266429

- Electrical tape
- A sharp knife

Steps:
1. Undo the 4 plastic tabs holding the trunk lid liner in place, fold down the liner. You should see a few holes and some wire looms. We'll be installing the handle in this hole.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Closer Handle nm266429

2. The T-plate will go inside the lid, while the handle is on the outside. Side-view would be something like this
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Closer Handle YfJgeR

3. Tape your washer and nut to the middle hole of the T-plate. Use electrical tape liberally. The purpose is to keep the nut in place because you can't get anything to hold in in place, and to add a layer of cushion between the metal T-plate and your trunk lid sheetmetal.

4. Cut off the top (center) clip of the handle. You can use a dremel, but I just used needlenose pliers to twist off the parts.

5. Using the larger hole lower down, put the T-plate into position. You may need to move it to the side so you can fit a finger through to hold the T-plate down while you screw the bolt in.
6. When bolt is threaded through nut, reposition the assembly so it's centered.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Closer Handle DV16IQ4

7. Tighten - don't overtighten, as you'll bend sheetmetal. As long as it's snug and not moving, you're good.
8. At this point, watch this video of how to mark/cut the trunk lid liner:

You can start at 1:50
9. Begin making cuts. Because the Accord was designed to accommodate the handle, only one cut was necessary. For me, I had to cut OUT a piece the same length as the handle, about 3mm wide.
10. You'll know when you've cut out enough as the liner with "click" into place on a small groove on the handle.
11. Clean up the fibres by combing it around, and rolling the sharpie through the hole.
12. Reassemble, and done!

End Result:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Closer Handle DV16IQ4

Some of you may think it's unnecessary, but it's cheap, and actually quite useful once you get used to it.

Sorry about the poor quality DIY, but it's really relatively simple. If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer!

Also, if you much things up, the trunk liner is very easy to replace :p

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
you could just grab the lock and pull it down to shut the trunk

Reactions: JNK
OP
OP

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
You could - or you could take $10 and 10 minutes to not have to awkwardly grab the lock

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Awesome write up. When I close it, I usually reach up and touch the license plate to close the trunk. Works for me, but this is a great alternative.

WOPcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just pull down on one or both of the 2 black rubber nubs at the bottom edge of the trunk lid and let momentum swing the trunk lid closed. Never had to touch the dirt on the paint this way!

The black rubber piece I'm referring to is in the top right of this photo posted by inv4zn.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Closer Handle I71po37

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Very cool! I added one of these to my 2015 Accord and was annoyed that there wasn't a way to do this for my new Civic since there was never a 10th gen Civic that had one like there was with Accords. I never considered adding the Accord one like you did. Thanks!

Silverocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
would it work to turn the piece upside down from the way you installed it, so you could shut it with an "overhand" grip?

OP
OP

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
would it work to turn the piece upside down from the way you installed it, so you could shut it with an "overhand" grip?
Sure - if you'd prefer it that way.

But all the cars I've owned, you use an underhand grip. The Accords (of which the handle is made for) has notches in the trunk panel so it'll only fit in the underhand grip position.

McDavid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
you could just grab the lock and pull it down to shut the trunk
I usually do that as well, but some type of handle would be a little more convenient.

I remember seeing someone fitting a lil strap under the trunk that looked good. But can't find it anywhere

FinHonda

@fincivicx
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was considering of doing this but got lazy, lol. I used piece of cargo strap, tied it around those holes and made small cut on the liner.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Trunk Closer Handle IMG_20190312_131917-01
Sponsored