DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut!

cfukin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX LX 6spd
Thank you for the DIY!
My Civic won't be delivered till the end of the month, does it support 1 or 2 cargo hooks at the default location?
The photo at Honda seems to show only one at the center of the trunk. Would like to order them now so that I can install it the first day. Thank you.
Sponsored

dohmez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Thank you for the DIY!
My Civic won't be delivered till the end of the month, does it support 1 or 2 cargo hooks at the default location?
The photo at Honda seems to show only one at the center of the trunk. Would like to order them now so that I can install it the first day. Thank you.
It supports two.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
The cargo hooks in my '07 Accord was much better designed than the Civic's;

The Accord's was about 8 inches off the ground, fixed to the side of the trunk. It wouldn't fit as many bags as the Civic but it was easier to hook bags on to.
The worst thing about the Civic's hook is that most standard sized plastic bags will just dangle from the hooks because it's fixed too high. If the bag is heavy it'll stretch/rip.

Similarly, the cargo net is also poorly designed lol.

dohmez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The cargo hooks in my '07 Accord was much better designed than the Civic's;

The Accord's was about 8 inches off the ground, fixed to the side of the trunk. It wouldn't fit as many bags as the Civic but it was easier to hook bags on to.
The worst thing about the Civic's hook is that most standard sized plastic bags will just dangle from the hooks because it's fixed too high. If the bag is heavy it'll stretch/rip.

Similarly, the cargo net is also poorly designed lol.
Yea I agree, I feel like a couple of trips to the grocery store are going to end up pulling that decklid metal down and stretching it from the weight of heavier bags and bumps. The bag hooks on my old car were on the sides of the trunk and just high enough to keep most bags from tipping over rather than letting them dangle with no floor support.

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for this guide.. Turns out I could easily mount them in the proper intended holes using the same method.. I have a small wrench I was able to get inside there and hold the nut in place.. Installed two hooks in under 10 minutes.. thanks!

grimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring MSM
Country flag
Weird how amazon says that model number doesn't work for 2016's, but it's the same model number on honda's site.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also like DIY threads. I dont think these would do me much good for groceries, considering mine is a coupe with a smaller trunk, but these would work well for hanging my shoes on when I leave the lake. Set a towel under them and let them drip. Might be dry by the time I got somewhere. Hmmmm....

jonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Hi All! I just purchased a cargo hook and was going to mount it on my touring coupe. However, it looks like the frame design is quite different from that of the sedan. I could't find a hole to mount the hook. For coupe owners out there, did anyone of you have the cargo hook mounted successfully?

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! IMG_04334

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get some fender washers and use the hole I circled on each side. Tight fit getting the nut and wrench in, but it could be done.

View attachment 12888

Last edited:

jonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Thanks for the suggestion Gavnzdad! That'll be the spot i'm going to use if there is no other way. I think i'll need to cut the nub like the OP. That hole is much bigger and it just feels like a hack to do it that way...

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just came across this video, it allows for installing the rivet nut entirely without accessing the other side of the sheet metal. This is especially good news for those of us with the coupes as the holes are far less easy to work with, I'd expect you'd have to remove the back deck panel and access it from inside the cabin. Skip to about 7:30 to see what he does, it should have been a far more succinct video to get to the point, but the results are what matter.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
This hook will not do the job ?
$4 ? with two washer

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! Capture d’écran 2018-09-18 à 11.13.03

MtnBikeAZ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
This hook will not do the job ?
$4 ? with two washer

Capture d’écran 2018-09-18 à 11.13.03.png
Get some fender washers and use the hole I circled on each side. Tight fit getting the nut and wrench in, but it could be done.

View attachment 12888
The picture where the hole is circled no longer loads. In a coupe, do you use fender washer's on the round hole (to the left of the light and 2 square holes) shown in Jonda's post?
Sponsored