DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut!

mbrauner22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Hello all! I recently purchased the trunk cargo hooks to install in my new 2016 EX-T only to come home and find out I need a super special tool that only Honda has to install it. Major bummer. But, with a little bit of thinking, I found a work around that only takes a few minutes and totally disregards using the stupid rivet nut....

First, the part number
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 12_zpshwxhxacf

Next, the tools I used
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 4_zps2fofeyoh

Pictured are the hardware that comes with the hook (rivet nut, 10mm nut, small washer, large washer, crush washer, 10mm bolt) I used a socket wrench, an extension, a 10mm shallow socket and a 10mm ratcheting wrench. Not pictured is my dremmel.

Next, locate the mounting spot.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 2_zps63vcxl5

The hole with the smaller hole on the left is the "correct" place to mount the hook, but we will not be using that one. Instead, we will use the single hole to the right of them.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 3_zpsr1o69o8u

This is the way we will be able to access the other side of the hole to put the 10mm nut provided.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 1_zpsqnz7hbok

This is the cargo hook. Notice that little nub that sticks out from the base? That little bugger needs to disappear. When using the "correct" way, that nub locks into that smaller second hole to prevent the hook from spinning, even though if you tighten it down enough, it really won't.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 8_zpscat603e0

After using my dremmel to cut and smooth down that nub, this is how it should look. We need a somewhat flat surface since we won't be using that second hole.

Now, with that out of the way, we can proceed to the next step.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 5_zpsehj2wwik

Take the provided 10mm nut and put it in the 10mm wrench. I used a small slice of tape to keep it from falling out or moving while getting the nut into the spot we need it to be in.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 6_zpsu9izxxek

Next, maneuver the wrench with the nut attached in that big cut out to place the nut directly over the hole we use now use. It is a tight fit, but it works.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 7_zpsxyzfrk46

Get the bolt ready - crush washer then small washer.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 13_zpsubcd0ui

Put the bolt in the hook and get ready to tighten down.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 9_zpssfw5hbar

Tightening down.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 10_zpsxm8ixors

All completed! Use the same steps for both sides, if you want to use two hooks.

Hope everyone has an easy time doing this. Total time was probably 15 minutes.

Thanks for reading!
Mike

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I like DIY accessory threads! Thanks. So these would be used primarily for keeping grocery bags from sliding around in the trunk?

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
If you have small enough hands you can just throw away the rivet nut and bolt the hook into the correct hole in the correct method. Put your bolt through the hook with the first washer and you can reach into the big square hole next to where the hook is supposed to go and put the other washer, the lock washer, and the nut right on the bolt. My hands could reach with no issue. I used a socket to tighten down the bolt by holding on to the nut from the top with my hand. Once it started to tighten you didn't need to hold the top anymore as it would tighten on its own on the lock washer. Worked perfectly. Took all of 2 minutes. No modifications are needed whatsoever.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
There are techniques to set rivnuts without the dedicated tool, some are demonstrated on YouTube.

e.g.,

If you were doing a lot of these, a tool would be worth it. (MAny variations are available; nothing special about the Honda tool, I'm betting.) For one or two you can probably get by.

Last edited:

vincelatz

Vince L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T w/Sensing Metallic Steel/Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello all! I recently purchased the trunk cargo hooks to install in my new 2016 EX-T only to come home and find out I need a super special tool that only Honda has to install it. Major bummer. But, with a little bit of thinking, I found a work around that only takes a few minutes and totally disregards using the stupid rivet nut....

First, the part number
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 12_zpshwxhxacf

Next, the tools I used
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 4_zps2fofeyoh

Pictured are the hardware that comes with the hook (rivet nut, 10mm nut, small washer, large washer, crush washer, 10mm bolt) I used a socket wrench, an extension, a 10mm shallow socket and a 10mm ratcheting wrench. Not pictured is my dremmel.

Next, locate the mounting spot.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 2_zps63vcxl5

The hole with the smaller hole on the left is the "correct" place to mount the hook, but we will not be using that one. Instead, we will use the single hole to the right of them.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 3_zpsr1o69o8u

This is the way we will be able to access the other side of the hole to put the 10mm nut provided.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 1_zpsqnz7hbok

This is the cargo hook. Notice that little nub that sticks out from the base? That little bugger needs to disappear. When using the "correct" way, that nub locks into that smaller second hole to prevent the hook from spinning, even though if you tighten it down enough, it really won't.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 8_zpscat603e0

After using my dremmel to cut and smooth down that nub, this is how it should look. We need a somewhat flat surface since we won't be using that second hole.

Now, with that out of the way, we can proceed to the next step.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 5_zpsehj2wwik

Take the provided 10mm nut and put it in the 10mm wrench. I used a small slice of tape to keep it from falling out or moving while getting the nut into the spot we need it to be in.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 6_zpsu9izxxek

Next, maneuver the wrench with the nut attached in that big cut out to place the nut directly over the hole we use now use. It is a tight fit, but it works.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 7_zpsxyzfrk46

Get the bolt ready - crush washer then small washer.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 13_zpsubcd0ui

Put the bolt in the hook and get ready to tighten down.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 9_zpssfw5hbar

Tightening down.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Trunk Cargo Hook install without using the rivet nut! 10_zpsxm8ixors

All completed! Use the same steps for both sides, if you want to use two hooks.

Hope everyone has an easy time doing this. Total time was probably 15 minutes.

Thanks for reading!
Mike
Have to echo david1pro here. You definitely don't have to file down those nubs. The large opening are identical next to both the intended holes and the ones you used instead. Why not just mount them in the proper holes and save having to Dremel the hooks? Did it today by fitting a small wrench into one of those hole. I do suggest using a wrench since the nut will spin before it's truly tight enough if you just do it by hand!

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
I was able to hold it tight enough with my hands, but my smaller hands fit in there without issue. Hands or wrench - either way is much easier than dealing with the rivet. I'm actually pretty surprised that they even use the rivet for the official install. Seems like something they've done solely for the purpose of pushing dealer costs up and convincing people of the necessity of a dealer install. My dealer wanted 50 bucks OVER my costs for the parts (that I paid, purchasing on my own) to do it for me. Let's see - 50 bucks for four minutes of work = 750/hour in labor.

OP
OP

mbrauner22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Good, glad you guys could do it a different way. Guess I have fatter fingers than you all. Couldn't really reach them into the "proper" hole to get it working. Either way, screw that rivet nut!

vincelatz

Vince L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good, glad you guys could do it a different way. Guess I have fatter fingers than you all. Couldn't really reach them into the "proper" hole to get it working. Either way, screw that rivet nut!
I'm still confused by your logic here? The big openings on the side of the proper holes and the side of the holes you mounted them on are the exact same size. If hands fit into one they would fit in the other!

vincelatz

Vince L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was able to hold it tight enough with my hands, but my smaller hands fit in there without issue. Hands or wrench - either way is much easier than dealing with the rivet. I'm actually pretty surprised that they even use the rivet for the official install. Seems like something they've done solely for the purpose of pushing dealer costs up and convincing people of the necessity of a dealer install. My dealer wanted 50 bucks OVER my costs for the parts (that I paid, purchasing on my own) to do it for me. Let's see - 50 bucks for four minutes of work = 750/hour in labor.
Definitely about dealers making money. Mine wasn't quite so bad. The hooks are $12 retail and they wanted $20 a piece installed. Still definitely designed for profits - Honda even offers to "loan" you the tool on site - I was scared to ask what the cost of loaning was haha!

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Honda even offers to "loan" you the tool on site
That's cool. Setting a rivnut with the proper tool is about a 10 second job. $20 apiece, installed, doesn't seem exorbitant, either. They gotta make money too. $50 labor alone is beyond nuts.

dohmez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
May I ask where you guys are buying the hooks? I've been wanting to attach a net that I've used with my last two cars!

vincelatz

Vince L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
May I ask where you guys are buying the hooks? I've been wanting to attach a net that I've used with my last two cars!
They're $12 a piece at any Honda dealer. You can find them for less online but for an item this low in price the shipping cost probably makes it not worthwhile in what you'd save.