DIY solid shifter base bushings for $2.48

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
Ok, first don't laugh. Second, I bought the Acuity parts and then managed to lose them somehow so I didn't want to buy more. I went to Home De Pot Racing and spent 2.48 on various size washers and the result has to be the same. Shifter base does not move independently from the vehicle anymore. I got a video uploading that shows the whole install from start to finish if you've never taken apart the console so the link will be live later. I also talk about it in my regular vlog that will be up later as well but don't show the full install in that one.

TL;DW 3/8 flats x 4
1/4 flats x 4
1/4 S.S. flats x 8
Sponsored

Hellraisingvtec

CarStudio101
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI
Country flag
The part the worries me about this install is removing the wires from those clips underneath the console. I purchased aftermarket bushings recently and they are on the way. I just hope the install goes ok for me.
Its an easy install.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know

Radsolutionz

First Name
Rahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI 4dr
Country flag
Ok, first don't laugh. Second, I bought the Acuity parts and then managed to lose them somehow so I didn't want to buy more. I went to Home De Pot Racing and spent 2.48 on various size washers and the result has to be the same. Shifter base does not move independently from the vehicle anymore. I got a video uploading that shows the whole install from start to finish if you've never taken apart the console so the link will be live later. I also talk about it in my regular vlog that will be up later as well but don't show the full install in that one.

TL;DW 3/8 flats x 4
1/4 flats x 4
1/4 S.S. flats x 8
I used your guide to change to type r shifter and your bushings 3 dollars at Lowe's. I accidently broke one of the tabs that holds the cable in the shifter base. The release tab. It seemed to be ok. Hopefully it doesn't cause issues. Any experience with this?

OP
OP
maddmatt02

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I didn't break any and did it so long ago its not fresh in my mind so I don't even have a theory on long term effects, sorry. If it still felt secure though you're probably good.

Radsolutionz

First Name
Rahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI 4dr
Country flag
I didn't break any and did it so long ago its not fresh in my mind so I don't even have a theory on long term effects, sorry. If it still felt secure though you're probably good.
Well a couple days later and after speaking with Russ at acuity he said it should be fine. It's weird, on warmer days the shifter feels easy to shift and when it's cold it's stiffer. I really enjoy the r shifter in the SI, along with the cheap bushings. It has a nice ka clunk when going into gear. It's slightly stiffer. The si one was fine, but the r is just better all around. As far as wanting shorter.... I don't see how any shorter of a shift would do anything. I think I'm done with shifter. I'd rather spend money on more performance mods rather than little cosmetic things. Let the car look OEM on outside. Looks are for other people, performance is for me.

joeyfan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport HB 6M, 2017 Subaru Outback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd rather spend money on more performance mods rather than little cosmetic things. Let the car look OEM on outside. Looks are for other people, performance is for me.
I tried to convince my 16 year old son that a fast car that looks slow is way better than a slow car that looks fast, but he's still intent on replacing his (my) Mazda 3's muffler with straight pipe so it sounds "faster". :doh:

And to stay on topic, what is the difference in feel between the stock bushing and the upgraded bushing? More positive gear engagement? Less shifter play while in gear? A better feel?

Radsolutionz

First Name
Rahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI 4dr
Country flag
I tried to convince my 16 year old son that a fast car that looks slow is way better than a slow car that looks fast, but he's still intent on replacing his (my) Mazda 3's muffler with straight pipe so it sounds "faster". :doh:

And to stay on topic, what is the difference in feel between the stock bushing and the upgraded bushing? More positive gear engagement? Less shifter play while in gear? A better feel?
It gives more feedback. It's hard to say. Shifting is better over all. Makes a ka chunk sound when engaging.

OP
OP
maddmatt02

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just a more direct/solid feel. Every movement of your hand is now directed straight to the movement of the cables there can be no delay/slop induced by the shifter base itself moving.

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
Oh man, first I installed the Acuity parts on my Si shifter, than I later replaced the Si shifter with the CTR one(an excellent upgrade). I'm not going back in there a third time!
Sponsored