DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport

Yongyolk

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK
Need help! I just installed front camera together with 2-way camera converter. What I did was modifying tv free bypass by connecting Vin from front and rear camera to the box then using Vout from the box connected to the head unit. For Vcc keeping the box working, I use pin C13(camera vcc) as the power source. Everything works perfectly fine both in reverse gesr and switch button activating front camera but after a while everything just stops working. The fron and rear cam not working when in reverse or pushing the switch. It seems like the box doesn’t trigger the monitor. I need to pull up the diagnostic screen and enter guideline settings to get both cams working again. Any idea what went wrong?
Sponsored

F30anderson843

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2014 BMW 335 EWG
Hi Kotaru tks.

1- the rearview camera is still pending. It works if you manually pull it up via the maintenance menu, but doesnt work when you put it in reverse, as the signal comes from an extra wire from the fuse box and didnt have time to dig into which one is it. Should be a 10 minute job, once you know which wire is it.
2- Im using the A21, which has a GPS signal (I guess it powers Android or Apple Carplay). I tried it once, powering it w/o the GPS antenna and it froze on the startup screen, so i think it is required.
3- The tuner module originally sits under the trim of the passenger side, under that big plastic piece on the seat-side booster. If I was to install it on the factory location, it'd need to re-route wiring thru the whole car again, so I mounted right on the dash (there is plenty of space behind the radio and AC controls) It is secure enough not to rattle and I got no engine interference at all.

With the tuner, can i not just purchase the oem "sharkfin" for the XM/HD run it down to the new tuner and then by the XM/HD tuner harness and run it to the new head unit? or am i missing a few steps lol

AlexJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport 2018
Country flag
Has anyone figured out the wiring for the reverse camera trigger? Can I use the reverse light fuse/wire to trigger the camera to come on?

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
Yes, you can use the reverse signal directly.

Or
You can use a Can decoder to get from CAN_H/CAN_L signals and it works fine. (You 'll also get Illumination signal, and other stuff).
http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTSHO011.2

It is still on my bench for testing, but one doubt that I have is about the microphone for calls, does it works fine with this swap? Or do we have to change it as well?

AlexJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport 2018
Country flag
I have mine hooked up and everything is working mic, usb, CarPlay, I haven’t hooked up the tuner because I usually don’t listen to radio. Do you know which pin the reverse light would splice in to? By the way my civic is a 2018.

kyle61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Just wired the FM modules with the connectors and using the diagrams from the first topic and I got a problem...

The FM tune stations but i don't have any sound! Any Guesses?

I tested all the speakers via Diagnostics screen and via USB, so i'm not sure what is happening.
Maybe a defective FM tuner??

IMG_20180207_222835313.jpg
Any update about FM? I got a same issue on FM and AM. but work fine on XM, BT and all other.

AlexJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport 2018
Country flag
I haven’t got my fm tuner yet but I did figure out the wiring for the back up camera. So there is a wire loom behind the kick panel in the driver side footwell and there is a light green/turquoise wire for the reverse lights and if you splice into that you can run the wire up to the head unit

This is the wire you need to splice into, be careful in my car there were two that were the same color but the first one I tried wasn’t for the back up camera.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport R3K5POv

I used a blue remote wire for an amplifier I used one of those blue things to splice into the reverse light wire.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport VDF8a9K

Ran the blue wire up and behind the head unit
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport pkZMe1i

This is the wire harness that you will run your wire to
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport Rx5g1Ax

Shove the reverse wire in this slot number 15
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport GT2rXfV

Wire shoved in slot 15 and taped together so it stays put for now
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport j1renLU

It works lol
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport mgj0xZB

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
Wow! Great thread.
After deciding I don't want to go with any of the currently available aftermarket radios, I started wondering if I could retrofit this radio into my Sport....and ran across this thread.
It looks like you have verified that everything works now? Regarding the Reverse/Backup gear signal wire, is the one you found applicable to a manual tranny or is that for an automatic?

Also, is the 1st post in this thread updated after your latest findings/testing?

AlexJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport 2018
Country flag
Wow! Great thread.
After deciding I don't want to go with any of the currently available aftermarket radios, I started wondering if I could retrofit this radio into my Sport....and ran across this thread.
It looks like you have verified that everything works now? Regarding the Reverse/Backup gear signal wire, is the one you found applicable to a manual tranny or is that for an automatic?

Also, is the 1st post in this thread updated after your latest findings/testing?
I did this on a manual transmission, as far as the 1st post I followed everything in it and everything worked. Just had to figure out the wiring for the camera.

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
Any update about FM? I got a same issue on FM and AM. but work fine on XM, BT and all other.
Yes, sorry for the late reply.
In my case this was the problem.

There is a wire that looks an antenna cable that must go between the Headunit and the FM Tuner.
Here where it says mobilistics adapter, it must go on the head unit
https://www.civicx.com/attachments/upload-2010-20pin_zpsbxcwn8g8-jpg.68248/

It must go on the number 2 on this picture
https://www.civicx.com/attachments/upload_2018-1-13_23-40-55-png.80841/

This connection is between the HU and the Tunner. The car antenna goes on the other side of the tuner module.

kyle61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Yes, sorry for the late reply.
In my case this was the problem.

There is a wire that looks an antenna cable that must go between the Headunit and the FM Tuner.
Here where it says mobilistics adapter, it must go on the head unit
https://www.civicx.com/attachments/upload-2010-20pin_zpsbxcwn8g8-jpg.68248/

It must go on the number 2 on this picture
https://www.civicx.com/attachments/upload_2018-1-13_23-40-55-png.80841/

This connection is between the HU and the Tunner. The car antenna goes on the other side of the tuner module.
That mean you forget to connect this cable before or cable defective?

qukquk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX 6MT
Country flag
That's really good guide to retrofit the factory radio, i did some summery after reading this threat many times.

The color in this chart is only to understand it better, nothing to do with factory wiring color.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport ?temp_hash=5b36f95f42ca58b86cc36e2578380f69

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport ?temp_hash=5b36f95f42ca58b86cc36e2578380f69

Yeah! it works! always remember to check the anti-thief code first!

But I am stock at FM/AM connection part, which connector should I use?(there are 2 ports on the FM/AM module) the red or blue?

Thanks a lot!

Santi

hey 9xArtanisx9 - tried to put a highlevel summary of what the final product would look like:
upload_2018-1-13_23-40-55.png

Connector 1 - This is used for microphone and rear camera and is similar to the one already on the LX/Sport.
Connector2 - This is used for communication with the tuner unit. we'll use a mobilistics adaptor (if you want AM/FM) (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobilistic...ash=item2cc0f08176:g:I2kAAOSwgv5ZPwBw&vxp=mtr)
Connector3 - This is for the LaneWatch. I did not use it (yet)
Connector 4 - Service Terminal, not used.
Connector 5 - Speakers and Power terminal, identical to LX/Sport.
Connector 6 - GPS antenna (required). This is $8 on ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/GT5-GPS-An...982112&hash=item58f29a4681:g:5KMAAOSwCypWmgtL)
Connector 7 - This is to connect with the digital speedometer. I left it unused.
Connector 8 - Communication with "tablet" needs to use proprietary cable (usually comes with HU when you buy it from ebay, otherwise you will need to buy part 39725-TBA-A01)
Connector 9 - This one is a 16 pin connector, which communicates to the tablet and to the tuner. You will need to build it as per specifications on 2.1 of the tutorial
Connectors 10 - these are the USB connections. The grey terminal is the 1.5amp that connects to AA or Carplay and is the same cable already on LX. To add the secondary USB (green cable), you will need to buy the part I specified on the 1st post.
Connector 11 - See 8 above
Connector 12 - This is a 5pin connector that powers and table and receives one signal from the HU. You will need to build it as specified on 2.2 of the tutorial
Connector 13 - for the window antenna connector, we'll use a metra "acura-style" adaptor (https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-For-Me...386251?hash=item2ee714a80b:g:boYAAOSwhcJWFx19). It will connect to the factory LX antenna, via another Metra adaptor 40-HD11 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-UP-Honda-Aftermarket-Radio-Replacement-Antenna-Adapter-40-HD11/162090985619?fits=Make:Honda&hash=item25bd602893:g:TzUAAOSwhOBXUGt~&vxp=mtr)
Connector 14 - straight 10 pin connetor (i used an arduino one), which will have to be built per specifications on 2.3 of the tutorial
Connector 15 - See #2

I hope this helps clarifying. Im in Cary NC if you need help.

This swap worth every penny:

upload_2018-1-14_0-6-37.png

Attachments

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
But I am stock at FM/AM connection part, which connector should I use?(there are 2 ports on the FM/AM module) the red or blue?
?temp_hash=5b36f95f42ca58b86cc36e2578380f69.jpg
It's like Matrix, Red or Blue Pill.
But According to the Service Manual You should use the red one.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport TunnerUnit
Sponsored