OP
OP

fgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I got an unit and I'm trying to test it on the bench.

Do you know If only with A1 ground and A3 12V I can test it?
Also I have to feed the display as well (E1 and E5)

Do you think this is enough?
Interesting... I'd say you need A1/3; E4; connector J (39725-TBA-A01); and the Tablet connectors A1/4/5 (Power, line in to the radio E4 and ground). More on the attached just in case.

Found this video on youtube, it doesnt show exactly the wires required for the bench testing, but there seems to be a lot more wiring there:
Sponsored

Attachments

Evenega77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
This is an awesome tutorial OP! Thanks for all the detailed info. Want to give this a go but I have one question. Did you ever get the stock backup camera to work?

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
After a long journey I managed one important thing.... to turn on my unit on the bench for testing!
Also I found all the conectors to retrofit it without cutting any wire.
I'll post later but most of them are JAE conectors.

I'm just intriged by somehting.... I bought a 39101-TBA-A21-M1 unit which in the main topic is mentioned that is the base model (bare unit) however i got some GPS messages and it's blinking on the screen.... Did I get an unit with GPS?

compcrasher86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2001 BMW 330i 5spd, 1997 Mazda Miata 5spd
Country flag
After a long journey I managed one important thing.... to turn on my unit on the bench for testing!
Also I found all the conectors to retrofit it without cutting any wire.
I'll post later but most of them are JAE conectors.

I'm just intriged by somehting.... I bought a 39101-TBA-A21-M1 unit which in the main topic is mentioned that is the base model (bare unit) however i got some GPS messages and it's blinking on the screen.... Did I get an unit with GPS?
Intrigued on your findings regarding those JAE connectors. The main connector looks very similar in style to the connectors used on the body control electronics behind the dash. Finding the correct female pins is the next step for me to retrofitan EX wiper stalk into my sport.

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
The main ones you can use Metra, I'm sure they are JAE MX34 but I couldn't find them.
70-1731
71-1731

All the other ones are JAE MX34 Series (Gray Ones)
Unfortunatelly I could find only in Japan, but there is no problem to order from there....
There are still some connectors missing, because I don't have the link right now.

Tablet Display Main 5 Pin Conectors
https://jp.rs-online.com/web/p/automotive-connectors/6909880/?origin=PSF_435717|rel

Fm Module Gray
https://jp.rs-online.com/web/p/automotive-connectors/6909874/

And for the FM module is JAE IL-AG5 Series (Green)
https://jp.rs-online.com/web/p/automotive-connectors/7275753/

For the antenna you can use Metra as well.

I'll try to use both males and females to retrofit everything without cutting or splice any wire. But if needed i'll have to do...

By the way I was able to access the unit diagnostics and i got the 1.F186.67 version.
Does anybody knows if I will have to order an USB update for this? (since I'm in another country this will be the only option).

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport olozGeJiTU3pPlaI24DCMQB5MygvParMQMy58-v3CVb3D1BBZog2b_jN8Lg8t5Ez4_bJ6-tIHhMdgFyJsNI=w532-h709-no

compcrasher86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2001 BMW 330i 5spd, 1997 Mazda Miata 5spd
Country flag
Another question, when retrieving the unlock code do you use the VIN of your car or the donor car?

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
On the bench just the Code. I'm not sure if changes on the car.

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi everyone – I've successfully retrofitted a Hondalink (ex and above radio) into my LX. It completely changes the driving experience, and it has been working great for the past 2 months or so. IF you are looking for an OEM retrofit, upgraded audio quality, and NO modifications to original wiring, this is for you. Having the Hondalink also allows you to customize the convenience features on the car (locks, lights etc) All in all, I believe I've spent a little over $200 in parts and a further $200 in tools and cables/accessories etc.

IMG_20170805_192914919_zpsupjjyzer.jpg

Following is a brief explanation of what you will need, I think this is best described as a 2 stage process: (i) Bluetooth, Android Auto & Apple Carplay, (ii) Adding AM & FM. Potentially, you can add-on LaneWatch, XM radio, Amp, digital cluster at a reasonable cost.

Worth noting there are variants and sub-models, ie. some equipment have native XM and HD radio, some have Nav,etc . I went for the barebones one, which is what you will see in the pictures below (no XM/HD no Nav/no Amp). I've not yet enabled the rearview camera (there is an extra wire which needs to be connected at the interior Fuse Box (have not yet found in which of the fuse box’s connectors to add).Further, steering wheel controls work perfectly (despite not having up/down function, which is present on the EX+)

As always, any modifications you do to your property is of your own responsibility, this tutorial is for information proposes.

1. Materials:
1.1- Basic Set-up (only native Bluetooth, USB connection, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay):
• 1 - “Tablet” - ~$700 New;~30 to 100 Ebay; part no 39710-TBA-305
• 2- Head UnitBrains - ~1200 New ~150 to 250 Ebay; part nos 39101-TBA-A21 (barebones No HD/XM and no Nav), 39101-TBA-A31 (HD/XM), 39101-TBC-A71 (Fully Loaded)
• 3- GPS Antenna - $15 - part no 39835-TBA-A01 (alternative google Honda GPS antenna)
• 4 (Optional)- Secondary USB - $30 - part no 39114-TBA-305
• 5 - Blue connector-Harness from “tablet to Brain” (often is included when you buy either #1 or #2) - $25 - part no39725-TBA-A01

1.2-Adding AM/FM module Set-up:
• 1 - Tuner - $80 - part no 39800-TBA-A11(AM/FM) or 39800-TBA-A21 (AM/FM/XM radio)
• 2 -Small Male Antenna Connector x2 - $10 - part no Mobilistics adapter for 2016 Civic
• 3 -Single Male Antenna Connector - $10 - part no39835-TBA-A01
• 4 - Double Male Antenna Connector - $10 - part no METRA 40-HD22
• 5 - Motorola-style M-M Connector x2 - $5

1.3-Additional parts, tools, and connectors:
- $10 per day to access the Honda diagrams and specifications https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

- On ebay, buy connectors and harnesses for Hondas (anything from 2010 onwards are reasonably similar, independent of the model, as the specifications are very similar). This will allow you to customize the connectors and have a solid mechanical OEM Fit. Also, this will serve to re-use OEM-quality cables and terminals.

- On amazon, buy a 635 pcs Dupont Connector, M-M, M-F and F-F Dupont (same as used for Arduino). This kit comes with wiring, solderless male and female terminals and different housings b/w 1 and 10 pins. These are sufficient caliber to conduct the amperage and have a decent grip to the connectors.

2. Bench Procedure:
This portion will be all about creating the additional wiring harness, which basically consists of 3: (i) back of the radio 16 pin connector (aka E connector) (Required) (ii) tablet straight 5 pin connector (Required) (iii) AMFM module straight 10 pin (optional). Below are the diagrams:

2.1 16 pin E connector
upload%2016%20pin_zps69ijebxc.jpg

2.2 Tablet Connector
uploadtabletconnector_zpsnbk6xeex.jpg

2.3 10 Pin AMFM module connector
upload%2010%20pin_zpsbxcwn8g8.jpg
Hi, I'm sorry to ask you these questions, but I'm a little confused. In terms of wiring, what must be done? I want to keep it as stock as possible without having to cut or solder anything. Also, are the connections not the same with the lx trims? I found a 2016 civic ex with a working head unit for sale. Would it be easier and cheaper to just get a Phoenix android head unit? Thanks!

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
Basically you will need:

Wiring from the car:
- Derive Power (12v) and Ground to the TabletDisplay (You must Have the cable with the blue connector as well (radio-tablet display)
- Wire the Display signal to the back of the radio (This was not clear but i discovered it on the bench.)
- Wire the FM Module
- Find all the connectors to avoid cutting

I think the main connectors are the same of LX, but you'll need other wiring mentioned above. If you want to keep the original radio and look it's an option to do this retrofit. A Phoenix headunit must be good too and easier, you just have to choose.

I will try this retrofit because i think the stock radios have less delay to turn on and on the reverse camera.

OP
OP

fgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Hi, I'm sorry to ask you these questions, but I'm a little confused. In terms of wiring, what must be done? I want to keep it as stock as possible without having to cut or solder anything. Also, are the connections not the same with the lx trims? I found a 2016 civic ex with a working head unit for sale. Would it be easier and cheaper to just get a Phoenix android head unit? Thanks!
hey 9xArtanisx9 - tried to put a highlevel summary of what the final product would look like:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport upload_2018-1-13_23-40-55

Connector 1 - This is used for microphone and rear camera and is similar to the one already on the LX/Sport.
Connector2 - This is used for communication with the tuner unit. we'll use a mobilistics adaptor (if you want AM/FM) (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobilistic...ash=item2cc0f08176:g:I2kAAOSwgv5ZPwBw&vxp=mtr)
Connector3 - This is for the LaneWatch. I did not use it (yet)
Connector 4 - Service Terminal, not used.
Connector 5 - Speakers and Power terminal, identical to LX/Sport.
Connector 6 - GPS antenna (required). This is $8 on ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/GT5-GPS-An...982112&hash=item58f29a4681:g:5KMAAOSwCypWmgtL)
Connector 7 - This is to connect with the digital speedometer. I left it unused.
Connector 8 - Communication with "tablet" needs to use proprietary cable (usually comes with HU when you buy it from ebay, otherwise you will need to buy part 39725-TBA-A01)
Connector 9 - This one is a 16 pin connector, which communicates to the tablet and to the tuner. You will need to build it as per specifications on 2.1 of the tutorial
Connectors 10 - these are the USB connections. The grey terminal is the 1.5amp that connects to AA or Carplay and is the same cable already on LX. To add the secondary USB (green cable), you will need to buy the part I specified on the 1st post.
Connector 11 - See 8 above
Connector 12 - This is a 5pin connector that powers and table and receives one signal from the HU. You will need to build it as specified on 2.2 of the tutorial
Connector 13 - for the window antenna connector, we'll use a metra "acura-style" adaptor (https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-For-Me...386251?hash=item2ee714a80b:g:boYAAOSwhcJWFx19). It will connect to the factory LX antenna, via another Metra adaptor 40-HD11 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-UP-Honda-Aftermarket-Radio-Replacement-Antenna-Adapter-40-HD11/162090985619?fits=Make:Honda&hash=item25bd602893:g:TzUAAOSwhOBXUGt~&vxp=mtr)
Connector 14 - straight 10 pin connetor (i used an arduino one), which will have to be built per specifications on 2.3 of the tutorial
Connector 15 - See #2

I hope this helps clarifying. Im in Cary NC if you need help.

This swap worth every penny:

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport upload_2018-1-14_0-6-37

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
Fgr, Awesome!.

I pretend to do the same.
Just a few questions:

1- were you able to use normally the rear camera?
2 - Which model are you using? If it's the base one 39101-TBA-A21, do you really need the GPS antenna?
3 - Any suggestions for the location of the tuner module?

OP
OP

fgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Fgr, Awesome!.

I pretend to do the same.
Just a few questions:

1- were you able to use normally the rear camera?
2 - Which model are you using? If it's the base one 39101-TBA-A21, do you really need the GPS antenna?
3 - Any suggestions for the location of the tuner module?
Hi Kotaru tks.

1- the rearview camera is still pending. It works if you manually pull it up via the maintenance menu, but doesnt work when you put it in reverse, as the signal comes from an extra wire from the fuse box and didnt have time to dig into which one is it. Should be a 10 minute job, once you know which wire is it.
2- Im using the A21, which has a GPS signal (I guess it powers Android or Apple Carplay). I tried it once, powering it w/o the GPS antenna and it froze on the startup screen, so i think it is required.
3- The tuner module originally sits under the trim of the passenger side, under that big plastic piece on the seat-side booster. If I was to install it on the factory location, it'd need to re-route wiring thru the whole car again, so I mounted right on the dash (there is plenty of space behind the radio and AC controls) It is secure enough not to rattle and I got no engine interference at all.

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
Fgr, Thank you very much!

1 - I thought that the reverse signal was triggered by the B-CAN network. Because on the LX model the signal is there including engine speed (which the LX radio does not use, because it does not have SVC)

2 - Interesting. I have the same unit and I was able to turn on without the gps antenna. However I was stuck on the GPS signal searching. ("The system lost power and is acquiring its location from the GPS satellites. This usually takes less than 10 minutes...")
I was able to skip this screen by pressing pressing the DAY/NIGHT (
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport enu_1740914_1-0-
) button and the HOME button at the same time for 5 seconds.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/any-...acquiring-location-from-gps-satellites.14760/

3 - That's great

Does any one here know if it's too difficult to add the second USB port on the center console?

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
OP,
I was browsing the post you made and checking

I'm trying to install built-in Factory Navi(from the Touring/EX-L grade Civic) in my 2017 Si. I'm looking at the Si compared to the 2dr touring part numbers here for the AUDIO UNIT and the DISPLAY ASSY

2017 Si: Display Assy is 39710-TBA-305, Audio Unit is 39101-TBJ-A51
2017 2dr Touring: Assy is 39710-TBA-305 (same as 2dr Touring), Audio Unit is 39101-TBH-A81

Would I be able to just get that one component (the Audio Unit 39101-TBH-A81) from a 2DR Touring and plug into my Si to get built-in Factory Navi? My thinking is yes since the Si already has a GPS antenna

Last edited:
OP
OP

fgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Fgr, Thank you very much!

1 - I thought that the reverse signal was triggered by the B-CAN network. Because on the LX model the signal is there including engine speed (which the LX radio does not use, because it does not have SVC)

2 - Interesting. I have the same unit and I was able to turn on without the gps antenna. However I was stuck on the GPS signal searching. ("The system lost power and is acquiring its location from the GPS satellites. This usually takes less than 10 minutes...")
I was able to skip this screen by pressing pressing the DAY/NIGHT (
enu_1740914_1-0-png.png
) button and the HOME button at the same time for 5 seconds.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/any-...acquiring-location-from-gps-satellites.14760/

3 - That's great

Does any one here know if it's too difficult to add the second USB port on the center console?
Thats nice, once you have your project up, pls share some of the work done! Re the USB - i tried to remove the side trim of the center console and ended up breaking some of the clips (and there are many), so I gave up and routed the cable to the glove box instead (it is the 1 amp plug which can barely recharges phones anyway). I later found the tutorial to install interior ambient lights, which shows step by step how to remove the trim, and that might shed some light on the process. You will need a new center console that has the USB connectors too.

OP,
I was browsing the post you made and checking

I'm trying to install built-in Factory Navi(from the Touring/EX-L grade Civic) in my 2017 Si. I'm looking at the Si compared to the 2dr touring part numbers here for the AUDIO UNIT and the DISPLAY ASSY

2017 Si: Display Assy is 39710-TBA-305, Audio Unit is 39101-TBJ-A51
2017 2dr Touring: Assy is 39710-TBA-305 (same as 2dr Touring), Audio Unit is 39101-TBH-A81

Would I be able to just get that one component (the Audio Unit 39101-TBH-A81) from a 2DR Touring and plug into my Si to get built-in Factory Navi? My thinking is yes since the Si already has a GPS antenna
Hey das borgen - my 2 cents on this, the A81 is meant to be used with amplifier, and the pin out is completely different (doesnt even use the same connector, you can download the pdf I posted a while ago on this thread that shows the difference), so it wont be plug and play. I think you would be better off trying to find the exact model used on the EXL w Nav or even trying to root the HU and install waze apk ( check this thread out https://www.civicx.com/threads/finally-custom-apk-installs-na-model.12632/page-25#post-324466 )
Sponsored