rarekumiko

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White CTR
Country flag
I got everything to work except there's no option to adjust the Balance, Fade, Bass, and Treble. Also the "Menu' button doesn't seem to do anything.
Si2QgwV.jpg
I'm dumb I guess...or something. Didn't realize you can't access certain sound controls while using Android Auto. Connected to the audio using BT, and voilĂ , there they were...

Also, if I can ever find a used one, I wanna get the updated version of the Tablet Display with the Volume knob.
Sponsored

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport
Country flag
Thanks for the great writeup! If I have a 2019 Sport and want to install the radio from a 2019 Si, is it a plug and play swap or will it need some rewiring?

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
if someone makes plug and play adapter for Civic, I'll buy for sure lol not afraid of cutting few wires, but a huge fan of making the process easier and reversible

Wisch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag
For anyone doing this conversion and looking to add SiriusXM, they key to adding it is in the receiver assembly, NOT the tuner that is by the right passenger seat. There is not even a connector for the SiriusXM antenna on the Tuner Module. The factory shark fin antenna for SiriusXm has two connectors coming out of it, one for AM/FM, and one for XM. The XM portion uses two sub-harnesses that run along the passenger side of the roof directly into the receiver on EX and up trim models. You will see that receivers that support SiriusXM have the circled connector in the attached image, and the stickers on the top will include the SiriusXM Tuner ID.

I am not sure what the real difference is between the 39800-TBA-A21 and 39800-TBA-A11 Tuners, but it seems by the markings to be that the A21 tuner provides support for HD Radio as they have the license information on them, and A11 do not.

I believe the confusion is that HD Radio support is only included on receivers that also have SiriusXM, so all of the parts sheets have the A21 tuner listed along with AM/FM/XM support.

Hope this helps someone from having to buy two different receiver units like I did.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport SiriusXM_Antenna_Connector

Wisch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag
Thanks for the great writeup! If I have a 2019 Sport and want to install the radio from a 2019 Si, is it a plug and play swap or will it need some rewiring?
The Si models all have the amplifier, so it won't be a straight swap.

torka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Sport Hatch MT
Country flag
Well I'm glad to see this is possible, but I'm kind of surprised that this thread wasn't for upgrading the touchscreen to the much more usable and enjoyable push button radio instead.

I'd love to know if anyone has upgraded their FK8 to the better radio.

kotarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FC2 - FFV
Country flag
I'm kind of surprised that this thread wasn't for upgrading the touchscreen to the much more usable and enjoyable push button radio instead.
I'm curious about this if it's really possible.
I would like to try, the new screen with the know has a better usability than the touchscreen.

Wisch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag
I installed a radio with the volume knob and buttons in my 2018 LX, works great.

Radio model number (I wanted SiriusXM and HD Radio): 39101-TGG-A21
Screen came off of: 39101-TBA-A51

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
I have 2018 HB sport MT, i was thinking same upgrade. I also found aftermarket solution but i'm kinda Oem guy. I just got the car i'm good for now but i'll do same upgrade in a year.

I didn't know that sport is same as LX. But i like exterior more. As long as there is bluetooth connection it's enough for me. At least for now. But technology improving every year. So let's see what we gonna need more.

dpc88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
First off, thanks fgr and everyone else who contributed to this retrofit. I successfully swapped out my headunit with Android Auto and backup camera feed (no AM/FM tuner). I did find several parts of the write-up to be confusing. I found a much simpler solution to the backup camera trigger. Would anyone be interested in a "Explain-it-to-a-novice" level of How-To?

Last edited:

peterZ

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT Lunar Silver Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First off, thanks fgr and everyone else who contributed to this retrofit. I successfully swapped out my headunit with Android Auto and backup camera feed (no AM/FM tuner). I did find several parts of the write-up to be confusing. I found a much simpler solution to the backup camera trigger. Would anyone be interested in a "Explain-it-to-a-novice" level of How-To?
Yes, definitely!

Wisch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag
Here are photos of the completed swap in my 2018 LX hatchback:
FM/HD Radio:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport 20200223_174906
SiriusXM:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport 20200223_174922
Working vehicle integration:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport 20200223_174956
Android Auto:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport 20200223_175113
Reverse Camera:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: retrofit Hondalink to LX/Sport 20200223_175142

Thanks to everyone that paved the way on this!

Next mod, variable wipers :thumbsup:

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here are photos of the completed swap in my 2018 LX hatchback:
FM/HD Radio:
20200223_174906.jpg
SiriusXM:
20200223_174922.jpg
Working vehicle integration:
20200223_174956.jpg
Android Auto:
20200223_175113.jpg
Reverse Camera:
20200223_175142.jpg

Thanks to everyone that paved the way on this!

Next mod, variable wipers :thumbsup:
seems nice!!

i'm also thinking same upgrade. I have 2018 hatchback sport MT, since you've done recently i have few questions.
- how much did you spend for it?
-how's maps performance, did you install GPS module?
-and you think i can do by myself?
-and what about sound quality, others saying that around +20 watt better. What's your opinion.

Wisch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag
seems nice!!

i'm also thinking same upgrade. I have 2018 hatchback sport MT, since you've done recently i have few questions.
- how much did you spend for it?
-how's maps performance, did you install GPS module?
-and you think i can do by myself?
-and what about sound quality, others saying that around +20 watt better. What's your opinion.
- I spent about $700 because I ordered a receiver without SiriusXM at first, I still need to sell the receiver portion of the first unit to re-coup some of the cost (I used the display and ordered just the receiver portion for the second unit). I also went with a factory sharkfin FM/XM antenna which added a good bit to the cost. Parts breakdown:

$41.42 - antenna adapters (Mobilistics and eBay)
$172.99 - receiver portion of SiriusXM head unit (eBay)
$256.60 - FM receiver & display (eBay)
$60.05 - HD Radio capable FM tuner (eBay)
$125.48 - Color matched FM/XM Shark Fin, 2x XM Antenna harnesses (hondaautomotiveparts.com)
$12.83 - GPS Antenna (eBay)
$16.12 - Connectors and pins (Mouser electronics)
$25.00 - Crimp tool (Amazon)
$3.20 - 10ft of 22ga 4 conductor security wire (Lowes) (the 18ga 5/7/8 conductor thermostat wire may work, stranded wire would be better but it's not easy to find. The stuff on Amazon has insulation that is too thick for the terminal crimps in my experience)

- I did not get a GPS receiver, just the antenna for Android Auto, works great with Google Maps or Waze (same for Apple Carplay)
- If you have ever done an aftermarket stereo install, built a desktop computer, etc. you should be good to complete this. If not, post where you live and offer pizza and beer and one of us will show up to help :)
- I do think there is better output from the new headunit, but a set of tweeters on the A pillars would definitely help raise the sound stage.

Mouser links:
1 x 656-MX34005SF1
1 x 656-MX34016SF1
20 x 656-M34S75C4F3 (Enough for spares/other projects)
1 x 656-ILAG510SS3C1 (For FM Radio only)
10 x 656-IL-AG5-C1-5000 (For FM Radio only)

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
- I spent about $700 because I ordered a receiver without SiriusXM at first, I still need to sell the receiver portion of the first unit to re-coup some of the cost (I used the display and ordered just the receiver portion for the second unit). I also went with a factory sharkfin FM/XM antenna which added a good bit to the cost. Parts breakdown:

$41.42 - antenna adapters (Mobilistics and eBay)
$172.99 - receiver portion of SiriusXM head unit (eBay)
$256.60 - FM receiver & display (eBay)
$60.05 - HD Radio capable FM tuner (eBay)
$125.48 - Color matched FM/XM Shark Fin, 2x XM Antenna harnesses (hondaautomotiveparts.com)
$12.83 - GPS Antenna (eBay)
$16.12 - Connectors and pins (Mouser electronics)
$25.00 - Crimp tool (Amazon)
$3.20 - 10ft of 22ga 4 conductor security wire (Lowes) (the 18ga 5/7/8 conductor thermostat wire may work, stranded wire would be better but it's not easy to find. The stuff on Amazon has insulation that is too thick for the terminal crimps in my experience)

- I did not get a GPS receiver, just the antenna for Android Auto, works great with Google Maps or Waze (same for Apple Carplay)
- If you have ever done an aftermarket stereo install, built a desktop computer, etc. you should be good to complete this. If not, post where you live and offer pizza and beer and one of us will show up to help :)
- I do think there is better output from the new headunit, but a set of tweeters on the A pillars would definitely help raise the sound stage.

Mouser links:
1 x 656-MX34005SF1
1 x 656-MX34016SF1
20 x 656-M34S75C4F3 (Enough for spares/other projects)
1 x 656-ILAG510SS3C1 (For FM Radio only)
10 x 656-IL-AG5-C1-5000 (For FM Radio only)

I'm fixing phones and computers but never done any car audio system installation. I'm the person who likes keeping things original that's why i would like to get OEM Hondalink. I'll definitely do it and probably this summer.
Thanks for your answer. I may bother you when I'm gonna try to install it :)
Sponsored