DIY: Remove Front Bumper/Grill/Chrome

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What exactly are you referring to on the lower portion? I'm very seriously considering this upgrade.
The plastic portion below the chrome grille. Someone mentioned before that it's separate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Sponsored

MikeyMcFly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Man, thank you for this info! I was kinda computing how much it would all cost and I was sure it would be over $250. This is a big relief. I'll definitely check it out soon. If I do find a site selling it cheaper, will def let you know.

Are you also going to order the matte black lower portion?
Which matte black lower portion? The front grille (Part Number 71121-TGG-A01) seems to be 1 big piece that is entirely glossy piano black. Check the diagram below from HondaPartsNetwork.com + pic from @NeoDragons installation.

(note: HondaPartsNetwork.com has cheaper parts but shipping is super expensive!)

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Remove Front Bumper/Grill/Chrome Capture.PNG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Remove Front Bumper/Grill/Chrome 20170219_114131

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
Which matte black lower portion? The front grille (Part Number 71121-TGG-A01) seems to be 1 big piece that is entirely glossy piano black. Check the diagram below from HondaPartsNetwork.com + pic from @NeoDragons installation.

(note: HondaPartsNetwork.com has cheaper parts but shipping is super expensive!)

Capture.PNG

20170219_114131.jpg

So where is the best place to buy to ensure your getting factory Honda parts at a good price?

Notmighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accords couple ex-l 6cylinder 1999 Si 96k greddy turbo kit
Thanks so much for this. Took a while getting a feel for the clips. Those suckers on the headlight chrome accents are a real pain with how fragile they are.
put a dab of wd40 or any spray lube on them prior to disassemble, should help a lot. when reassembling take a acid brush and a little white grease, will really help if cover has to be removed in the future.

Streetkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura integra
Country flag
I removed my bumper to add the hatch sport grill. Wanted to add some comments.

- A second set of hands would have been helpful, but I did it all by myself

- I laid a mover blanket down under the car to avoid scratches - make sure you put something down because when all the clips are finally undone it basically just drops.

- The fog light cable connectors have like zero slack, when my bumper dropped I'm sure it tugged pretty hard on them, this is one area where a second set of hands would be helpful. Thankfully no damage/issues arose from pulling on the plugs too hard

- I was concerned about sensing if it would have more plugs. The sensing stuff is attached to the bumper frame, not the plastic, so there was nothing extra that needed to be done.

- The clips!! Removing all the bolts was easy, but the clips that hold the bumper on were very difficult for me. I have no idea where the clips actually are, so I spent a lot of time tugging and stopping to look at videos, re-read the documentation, try and get a screwdriver in there. In the end I can't even say how I got them off, if it was just tugging or if my screwdriver work helped as well. Below are two pictures showing where the clip locations are.

- There are also clips on the two pieces above the headlights, watch this youtube video for info on those:

- Overall it took me about 4 hours - I would say I spent over an hour on the bumper clips part

- The bolt underneath the bumper is 10mm and the hex screw is 5mm

- Reassambly was worlds easier than disassembly

- At one point I was trying to separate the chrome piece from the top of the bumper until I realized I was replacing the whole grill and that piece did not need to come apart

- I had to remove my license plate frame to get the grill out

- I did break the pegs in my H emblem, so it is now held on with 3m tape - you can't even tell.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Remove Front Bumper/Grill/Chrome bumper_clips1

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Remove Front Bumper/Grill/Chrome bumper_clips2

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

- I laid a mover blanket down under the car to avoid scratches - make sure you put something down because when all the clips are finally undone it basically just drops.

- The fog light cable connectors have like zero slack, when my bumper dropped I'm sure it tugged pretty hard on them, this is one area where a second set of hands would be helpful. Thankfully no damage/issues arose from pulling on the plugs too hard

- I was concerned about sensing if it would have more plugs. The sensing stuff is attached to the bumper frame, not the plastic, so there was nothing extra that needed to be done.

- The clips!! Removing all the bolts was easy, but the clips that hold the bumper on were very difficult for me. I have no idea where the clips actually are, so I spent a lot of time tugging and stopping to look at videos, re-read the documentation, try and get a screwdriver in there. In the end I can't even say how I got them off, if it was just tugging or if my screwdriver work helped as well. Below are two pictures showing where the clip locations are.

- There are also clips on the two pieces above the headlights, watch this youtube video for info on those:

- Overall it took me about 4 hours - I would say I spent over an hour on the bumper clips part

- At one point I was trying to separate the chrome piece from the top of the bumper until I realized I was replacing the whole grill and that piece did not need to come apart

- I did break the pegs in my H emblem, so it is now held on with 3m tape - you can't even tell.

bumper_clips1.jpg

bumper_clips2.jpg
great write up. :thumbsup:hopefully it will help out the other members that are on the fence about doing it themselves

Streetkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura integra
Country flag
Thank you! That is the goal. Without your work and the OP of this thread I wouldn't have come close to thinking of this mod. So a big thanks to ya'll.. just trying to pay it forward.. now, what next!

Last edited:

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Thank you! That is the goal. Without your work and the OP of this thread I wouldn't have come close to thinking of this mod. So a big thanks to ya'll.. just trying to pay it forward.. now, what next!
Do you have a picture of the final setup? Just curious because I have the same color car and I was wondering how it would look.

Aces and 8s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EXT Coupe 6 Speed
Anyone know if it is possible to remove only the chrome trim pieces of the grill without removing the front bumper entirely?

DMP84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag

bumper_clips1.jpg

bumper_clips2.jpg
I have a problem with my grille the top is separating from the bumper and I want to take the bumper off to try fixing it myself somehow I know those small tabs shaved off from my bumper. I am most worried about those tabs around the headlights are those easy to break off? Thank you appreciate any input.
Sponsored