First Name
Salvador
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Nice job!!!

I was thinking of gluing red reflective coated glass fire pit beads into the grilles to make it look like they are part of the "propulsion system" à la Star Wars. This is a quick Photoshop job, but they would most likely glow bright red when headlights were shined upon them. Don't know if I will take the time to do it. Any thoughts?

Honda-Back_End_Beads_Final.jpg
Nope.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice job!!!

I was thinking of gluing red reflective coated glass fire pit beads into the grilles to make it look like they are part of the "propulsion system" à la Star Wars. This is a quick Photoshop job, but they would most likely glow bright red when headlights were shined upon them. Don't know if I will take the time to do it. Any thoughts?

Thansk Fred! I would say a no go on this. The people have chosen no but to each their own. I do know what you’re talking about cause when fitting mesh prior to bumper cut. I drove with painted bumper behind mesh which had an interesting look. At the time I could have painted bumper behind mesh. If you convert just vents for depth (less fake) u could paint bumper behind any color.

Last edited:

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice job!!!

thats a big negative on my end Red Leader!!!!! i you were going for something gimicky like that i would say just cut out the vents, and put a clouded acrylic board and a led strip that pulses so it looks liek a pulsing engine (sorry i work with alot of model kits, lol)

Last edited:

Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
thats a big negative on my end Red Leader!!!!! i you were going for something gimicky like that i would say just cut out the vents, and put a clouded acrylic board and a led strip that pulses so it looks liek a pulsing engine (sorry i work with alot of model kits, lol)
My son suggested LED lights that changed from dark red, to orange, then yellow to almost white as I accelerated. Would probably take more time, money and effort than I am willing to put into it, but it IS an intriguing idea!

Sgamon12

First Name
Salvador
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
My son suggested LED lights that changed from dark red, to orange, then yellow to almost white as I accelerated. Would probably take more time, money and effort than I am willing to put into it, but it IS an intriguing idea!
Good way to get pulled over.

OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now I have to say that would be pretty cool. Give your son a thumbs up for me :thumbsup:. In this day in age that LED idea is 100% possible. It would actually be cool to see it transition from like yellow, orange, red during acceleration.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Si has zero airflow through OEM vents. I did notice those holes behind garnish on hatch and don't understand the purpose. My opinion, don't worry as far as a negative impact from not having vents. Opening up the rear vents is really for competition racing.
The hole in the bumper is making room for the retaining tabs at the back of fake vent to go through the bumper cover. Those retaining tabs at the back of the fake vent is holding the parking sensor.

Are the fake vents on Sedan Si has these retaining tabs as well?

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY rear bumper fake vent conversion s-l1600 (1)

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY rear bumper fake vent conversion s-l1600

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY rear bumper fake vent conversion s-l1600 (2)

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY rear bumper fake vent conversion s-l1600 (3)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The hole in the bumper is making room for the retaining tabs at the back of fake vent to go through the bumper cover. Those retaining tabs at the back of the fake vent is holding the parking sensor.

Are the fake vents on Sedan Si has these retaining tabs as well?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg
No, the Si fake vents don’t have those parking sensor retaining tabs.

Last edited:

BobbyA

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (PRL Stage 1, Hondata FlashPro, PRL Flex Fuel e85, HardRace Rear Mount, Megan Racing Strut Bar) Wish List: PRL Catted Downpipe, Eibach Pro Springs Kit, Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood & Trunk.
Country flag
:wave:Check below for final pics...

View attachment 67153

DIY Rear Vent Conversion

This was midway point
I'm in the process of converting the rear vents to active vents. These are the original vent garnishes and conversion is custom done by me. Next is to hand off to body shop to remove bumper, cut holes and respray. This part could also be done by me.

To cut or not to cut?
I'm going to cut entire vent area or just thinner vertical slanted area (see in picture below)

(UPDATED) Final finished pics:

Tool used for cutting vent: Dremel (Sanding/Grinding Accessories), sand paper.

For my ride I used saw blade grinding wheels for cutting and sanding bands for smoothing.

(partial bumper cut)

View attachment 65537
View attachment 65538
View attachment 65539

(whole bumper cut)
View attachment 111439

Vent Cut
(no bumper cut)
View attachment 111440

Tool used for cutting vent: Box Cutter
(whole bumper cut)

View attachment 111441
View attachment 111442
That is awesome and if you could somehow get in touch with a fabrication mfg (whether 3D printing or whatever) you could use your work on those to create a template, mfg these in volume and I bet you'd sell hundreds, possibly thousands of units. It looks really nice and I bet adds some cooling functionality, esp to the front.

OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another update. Used the mesh from. eBay that was linked. Install tomorrow.

Screenshot_20181213-171930_Instagram.jpg
Wow! It’s looking awesome! :thumbsup: Yeah that mesh is awesome. Mines been on over a year and driven through snow and still mint.