First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY rear bumper fake vent conversion A279B37B-CC34-44E6-BFDA-BE4220B2B815

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY rear bumper fake vent conversion 612A4037-A91C-484C-B515-17567634C08B

SPOON Bumper
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY rear bumper fake vent conversion AB8FE1C5-BA7B-485D-8C17-158B965D72B4

Research (for rear vent aerodynamics only)
  • Removes rear bumper parachute drag buildup by escaping through vents.
    • Removes rear parachute drag that slows you down on acceration.
    • Reduces rear-end lifting that makes you lose traction and control.
  • Rear vents
    • Increases air flow and better aerodynamics all around.
    • Helps plant rear-end to ground base on aerodynamics.
    • Heavily done within pro racing and drag racing scene.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY rear bumper fake vent conversion 8AB19813-7866-4142-A840-AAC06ADB3273-5850-000004BA814F0FE4

HondaPro Jason also did this conversion to his Type-R and provides feedback. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
I'd prefer a bumper swap with the regular sedan, but I'm interested to see how this turns out!
This.

Every time I see a regular Civic LX I wish they just left the Si body style alone and just added a side skirt and spoiler

DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I really want to swap with a normal Civic. I have already asked in my regional area forum. I really thought someone with a basic Civic would like a sportier looking front bumper but I guess not. I think I will hold out until Mugen makes parts for the car. If they have a body kit with a more appealing front bumper than I will do that. If not I will buy a new bumper.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Opening up such huge rear bumper vents should yield a good improvement in highway fuel efficiency, as well as quicker 1/4 mile time and trap speed.
Do you have actual test data to support that? Opening up those spaces would save weight and material. If it would improve fuel efficiency or performance even by the tiniest imaginable amount, don't you think Honda would have done that from the factory? I can't think of anything better for a manufacturer than saving weight, material, and money while gaining performance and fuel efficiency at the same time!

In a worst-case scenario, allowing air to flow through areas not intended could actually create additional drag and decrease efficiency and performance. It may also alter the airflow characteristics in such a way that causes exhaust fumes to be drawn into the vehicle. We'd need a wind tunnel and several hundred thousand dollars worth of test equipment and fluid modeling software to validate these wild guesses.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you have actual test data to support that? Opening up those spaces would save weight and material. If it would improve fuel efficiency or performance even by the tiniest imaginable amount, don't you think Honda would have done that from the factory? I can't think of anything better for a manufacturer than saving weight, material, and money while gaining performance and fuel efficiency at the same time!

In a worst-case scenario, allowing air to flow through areas not intended could actually create additional drag and decrease efficiency and performance. It may also alter the airflow characteristics in such a way that causes exhaust fumes to be drawn into the vehicle. We'd need a wind tunnel and several hundred thousand dollars worth of test equipment and fluid modeling software to validate these wild guesses.
I too expect this may be the case.

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
Its Monday, so I'm a little slow. But are the pics above of the actual conversion or are they just photoshoped images?

PS, I think it looks good. Might have to do some black paint mitigation behind the vents but thats no big deal.

Last edited:

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You would prob gain more functionality by opening up the front "vents", instead of the rear ones.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
You would prob gain more functionality by opening up the front "vents", instead of the rear ones.
No. Front vents are better left shut for reduced drag. That's why we see active front shutters on some models which close at higher speeds to improve fuel efficiency.

Venting out the rear bumper cover helps by reducing drag, which is why it's of common practice in drag racing... Weight savings are of course negligible.

It already looks better because the rear vents are no longer fake. It does also look lighter. It will look great once it's finished and opened up behind.
Sponsored

Last edited: