amxandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
No luck. Working with Phoenix. Apparently no power to camera. Tried the cam RCA inputs and still black. Version 2 no change. This unit is Frustrating.
Try this app as a launcher (there is a free version). I had had problems with some of the other launchers not staying as the default launcher and for some reason, the option for setting the home launcher is not in the settings menu.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Phoenix Android Radio 9" Installation Video upload_2018-9-7_7-38-52

Also, look on XDA forums for support and answers for your questions.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...5-mtcd-e-head-unit-discussion-thread-t3734189

I will agree that it would be nice to have a more polished interface and support for our head unit, but once you get it set up correctly, it is a fabulous system and I have been more than happy with it.

There is also an app called Pulse that will (supposedly) allow you to message across platforms and on to your computer. Give it a look and see if it is what you need.
Sponsored

Moopy62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatchback
Country flag
Try this app as a launcher (there is a free version). I had had problems with some of the other launchers not staying as the default launcher and for some reason, the option for setting the home launcher is not in the settings menu.
upload_2018-9-7_7-38-52.png

Also, look on XDA forums for support and answers for your questions.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...5-mtcd-e-head-unit-discussion-thread-t3734189

I will agree that it would be nice to have a more polished interface and support for our head unit, but once you get it set up correctly, it is a fabulous system and I have been more than happy with it.

There is also an app called Pulse that will (supposedly) allow you to message across platforms and on to your computer. Give it a look and see if it is what you need.
Thanks for the reply. I did try that app launcher and no luck with it sticking. A good deal of my frustration is that I dont want to have to spend hours learning how to make things work (only to have them not). I followed your link-its like going to Android college to me. Feels like if it takes that much effort then this unit is only for techies.
Yesterday, for example, the pre installed A2DP app started to not allow song forwarding from steering wheel-the app just craps out. So I spend way too much time trying multiple others- again no luck and totally confusing interfaces. Got one to play music but had no idea what playlist/app it was playing from. No song title. No list.
Most of all just getting in the car and getting the phone-to-head talking requires pressing buttons and jumping thru hoops to get everything talking. I just want to connect and go. Maybe the Apple-to-android thing is just not something that should be attempted.
I am tempted to purchase the dongle adaptor for carplay but am concerned about dealing with just another round of limitations. Anybody out there who did this would love to hear from you.

Its to the point Im considering just throwing this thing on ebay.

amxandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. I did try that app launcher and no luck with it sticking. A good deal of my frustration is that I dont want to have to spend hours learning how to make things work (only to have them not). I followed your link-its like going to Android college to me. Feels like if it takes that much effort then this unit is only for techies.
Yesterday, for example, the pre installed A2DP app started to not allow song forwarding from steering wheel-the app just craps out. So I spend way too much time trying multiple others- again no luck and totally confusing interfaces. Got one to play music but had no idea what playlist/app it was playing from. No song title. No list.
Most of all just getting in the car and getting the phone-to-head talking requires pressing buttons and jumping thru hoops to get everything talking. I just want to connect and go. Maybe the Apple-to-android thing is just not something that should be attempted.
I am tempted to purchase the dongle adaptor for carplay but am concerned about dealing with just another round of limitations. Anybody out there who did this would love to hear from you.

Its to the point Im considering just throwing this thing on ebay.
FWIW... I JUST use my phone as a hotspot. I use the head unit as it's own device. I downloaded all of the apps that I wanted on it (Poweramp, Google Maps, Spotify, etc) and the head unit works flawlessly. I watched a video to learn how to customize the Car Launcher app, but the rest was just a natural phone type setup for me. Maybe you should try a reset on the unit and start over. Just my 2 cents.

Moopy62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatchback
Country flag
FWIW... I JUST use my phone as a hotspot. I use the head unit as it's own device. I downloaded all of the apps that I wanted on it (Poweramp, Google Maps, Spotify, etc) and the head unit works flawlessly. I watched a video to learn how to customize the Car Launcher app, but the rest was just a natural phone type setup for me. Maybe you should try a reset on the unit and start over. Just my 2 cents.
For the record I did get the camera working. Really nobody’s fault. A couple pins got bent when connecting the male and female harness connectors
Sponsored