Last edited:

Mattman1206

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
The tray has 2 Philips screws and 6 standard 1/4 turn screws that hold it up...it's not a big deal but you needs ramps since ground clearance is so low.
The oil plug is 17mm and is in the back of the oil pan be sure not to loose the washer that's on the plug when removing it.
The oil filter is very easy access in the front of the engine and faces down with a slight angle towards the front.
I used a pairs of channel locks to remove it from the engine. It's the smallest oil filter I've seen except for a motorcycle or riding lawnmower. lol

I measured exactly 4 quarts of oil drained out and put in 4 quarts of 0W-20 synthetic which put it midway on the dipstick. I bought a 5 quart jug of Valvoline 0W-20 from Wal-Mart for $22.95 and a oil filter for $5.95
Mine has four phillip's screws.

arhncmh

It's not my fault, really.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
Mine has four phillip's screws.
There are 4 Phillips head screws along the front edge of the aluminum Under Cover, but you only need to remove the 2 (wide, flat, silver) center ones.

The outer 2 (black) screws (with washers) stay in place. The Under Cover slides beneath the plastic shroud that's held in place by the black screws.

the1320god

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic sport hatch mt6
I posted this months ago, and it's in my "garage" photos, Underside of of a 2016 Civic Touring 1.5 Turbo.

20151222_130712.jpg
Does anybody know what size the 2 Philips headed screws are or a part number? lost mine and the parts guy at the dealer says it doesn't have those screws.... Thanks.

wokeupgrumpy

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 4DR, 2017 Subaru Forester, 2007 Malibu LT, 1998 S10 Blazer LT
Country flag
FYI, drain bolt torque is 30lbs. Oil capacity is 4.2qt. That is a very low torque. I use a torque wrench on mine. Take it from an old baby boomer. Doing it by "feel" can get expensive. One stripped hole and a torque wrench will seem cheap. Honda filter # for the 2.0 is 15400-PLM-A02. I think the 1.5T uses the same filter. Dealer wanted $8.75 for a filter and crush washer. I bought a lot of 5 filters and washers for $30. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
FYI, drain bolt torque is 30lbs. Oil capacity is 4.2qt. That is a very low torque. I use a torque wrench on mine. Take it from an old baby boomer. Doing it by "feel" can get expensive. One stripped hole and a torque wrench will seem cheap. Honda filter # for the 2.0 is 15400-PLM-A02. I think the 1.5T uses the same filter. Dealer wanted $8.75 for a filter and crush washer. I bought a lot of 5 filters and washers for $30. Hope this helps.
I've done thousands of changes by feel without a problem. The only way it would strip is if you crossthread it, which happens before you torque it. Just get it really snug without straining hard and it'll be good. It doesn't need torqued. Dealers don't torque them.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've done thousands of changes by feel without a problem. The only way it would strip is if you crossthread it, which happens before you torque it. Just get it really snug without straining hard and it'll be good. It doesn't need torqued. Dealers don't torque them.
Crossthreading is not the only way to strip the threads. Over tightening can also strip the threads. They advertise a torque rating for a reason. For someone experienced, a torque wrench is probably not critical. For those inexperienced and if you have a torque wrench, I see no reason not to use it. What dealers do is irrelevant as dealers and fast lube shops screw up peoples cars daily.

kkim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 PPM Sport Hatch manual, 04 Tacoma 4WD, 16 Fit EX
Crossthreading is not the only way to strip the threads. Over tightening can also strip the threads. They advertise a torque rating for a reason. For someone experienced, a torque wrench is probably not critical. For those inexperienced and if you have a torque wrench, I see no reason not to use it. What dealers do is irrelevant as dealers and fast lube shops screw up peoples cars daily.
I fully agree... Use a torque wrench. If you've done thousands, you must do this for a living? For the home enthusiast, I recommend using one.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
The threads don't strip if you overtighten, unless maybe if you're really strong and went way overboard with that small wrench, or used a breaker bar or powertool. The bolt head might if you try to remove it incorrectly. That's why I said don't overtighten. Don't overtighten, and use the correct tool, and you won't strip anything.
Dealers aren't fast lube places. But how much experience does one need in oil changes? It's extremely simple. When I wasn't "experienced", I never used a torque wrench to change oil. I've never seen anyone use one.

Last edited:

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
The threads don't strip if you overtighten, unless maybe if you're really strong and went way overboard with that small wrench, or used a breaker bar or powertool. The bolt head might if you try to remove it incorrectly. That's why I said don't overtighten. Don't overtighten, and use the correct tool, and you won't strip anything.
Dealers aren't fast lube places. But how much experience does one need in oil changes? It's extremely simple. When I wasn't "experienced", I never used a torque wrench to change oil. I've never seen anyone use one.
I use a torque wrench for anything where torque specs are given. But then again, I was blessed with common sense.

Mattman1206

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
I have
I use a torque wrench for anything where torque specs are given. But then again, I was blessed with common sense.
I have common sense, and I have never used one. I have been changing my own oil for over thirty years, and I have never stripped threads, never had a leak, and never had to replace anything due to damage or loss. Perhaps you don't have as much common sense as you think. Either that or you just lack natural ability.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Would that include license plate bolts? :D

Nice insult. I'm no genius, but those around me would likely tell you have I have good common sense. That's probably why I don't feel the need to torque the drain bolt.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have
I have common sense, and I have never used one. I have been changing my own oil for over thirty years, and I have never stripped threads, never had a leak, and never had to replace anything due to damage or loss. Perhaps you don't have as much common sense as you think. Either that or you just lack natural ability.
I too have been changing my own oil for over 30 years and I have definitely done way more oil changes without a torque wrench than with one. I have also never had any leaks or stripped threads or damage of any kind. But for those with lesser experience I cannot see any harm in torquing bolts for which torque specs are given. Can you? You are far more likely to damage threads without a torque wrench than with one.