DIY oil change easy on the Civic?

16Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I used to do it on my Kia Sportage, very easy and everything accessible.

Anyone did it on their Civic yet?

I think there is a plastic cover that need to be removed?

Can I jack the front wheels on plastic ramps and expect the oil to flow out of the pan completely?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored

CE1_nobling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX 6sp , 1997 Honda Accord EX Wagon , 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.0
Country flag
On the 2.0 it's fairly simple. As soon as you take off the aluminum shield everything is right there close to each other.
And is easy to access on roll on ramps.
But no one has posted the underside pics of the 1.5 yet :dunno:

OP
OP

16Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Oh.. sorry I forgot to mention that I have the 1.5..
Thanks

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
i think someone said the oil filter is int he same location. its an oil change it cant be that hard anyway.

ichii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe and 2011 CR-Z
Country flag
i think someone said the oil filter is int he same location. its an oil change it cant be that hard anyway.
I hope when they say it's in the same location they're not talking about the 2001 Honda Accord where it's close to the driver side wheel well...if it's behind the engine that's fine with me..very easy to do :) speaking of easy I think Subaru Impreza has to be one of the easiest it's just in front of your face when you pop the hood.

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport, 98 Civic Dx (turbo/Blown), 98 Civic Ex (Blown), 87 CRX HF, 94 F150 302
I posted this months ago, and it's in my "garage" photos, Underside of of a 2016 Civic Touring 1.5 Turbo.

20151222_130712.jpg
That's.....disheartening...

Does that entire metal piece have to come off?

OP
OP

16Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Unfortunately.. yes.

There also seem to be two long plastic covers in the back that would need to be removed before rust proofing..

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
I'll take my undertray off the first time I change the oil (at 5000 miles) and have a good look around at the engine layout. I will consider cutting holes in the pan for access to the filter and drain plug, depending upon their exact location in relationship to the tray. If it turns out to be a useful step, I am more than happy to take the .001MPG hit due to aero losses for the convenience.

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
The tray has 2 Philips screws and 6 standard 1/4 turn screws that hold it up...it's not a big deal but you needs ramps since ground clearance is so low.
The oil plug is 17mm and is in the back of the oil pan be sure not to loose the washer that's on the plug when removing it.
The oil filter is very easy access in the front of the engine and faces down with a slight angle towards the front.
I used a pairs of channel locks to remove it from the engine. It's the smallest oil filter I've seen except for a motorcycle or riding lawnmower. lol

I measured exactly 4 quarts of oil drained out and put in 4 quarts of 0W-20 synthetic which put it midway on the dipstick. I bought a 5 quart jug of Valvoline 0W-20 from Wal-Mart for $22.95 and a oil filter for $5.95

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The tray has 2 Philips screws and 6 standard 1/4 turn screws that hold it up...it's not a big deal but you needs ramps since ground clearance is so low.
The oil plug is 17mm and is in the back of the oil pan be sure not to loose the washer that's on the plug when removing it.
The oil filter is very easy access in the front of the engine and faces down with a slight angle towards the front.
I used a pairs of channel locks to remove it from the engine. It's the smallest oil filter I've seen except for a motorcycle or riding lawnmower. lol

I measured exactly 4 quarts of oil drained out and put in 4 quarts of 0W-20 synthetic which put it midway on the dipstick. I bought a 5 quart jug of Valvoline 0W-20 from Wal-Mart for $22.95 and a oil filter for $5.95
We pay $19.99 at our dealer for oil & filter and get a free tire rotation and inspection.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
We pay $19.99 at our dealer for oil & filter and get a free tire rotation and inspection.
My dealer came out with a deal 99 bucks for 4 synthetic oil changes. I'm definitely getting in on that. They also gave me 3 free oil changes when I bought the car

christopfur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-L
I am at the dealership right now getting my first oil change. $60 after tax for full synthetic & filter. I would have just done it myself but I have no way of getting underneath these lower cars. Any recommendations? I don't want to be paying this every time!

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I am at the dealership right now getting my first oil change. $60 after tax for full synthetic & filter. I would have just done it myself but I have no way of getting underneath these lower cars. Any recommendations? I don't want to be paying this every time!
Either use ramps, or a jack and jack stands.
Sponsored