DIY: make center pocket light blue to match overhead ambient light

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
It bugged me that the light in the center pocket is white while the light coming from the overhead ambient LED is blue. It seemed even more out of place after I added the OEM console and footwell light kits, since their light is also blue.

This is really too simple for a DIY, but I'm writing it mainly to put the idea out there and to share the source of blue tint I found, after trying a few things, that gives a good color match:

IMG_20160825_2317312.png

Here is a product link, item number 524104

It's only $8, and you can try it out by holding one corner of it in the pocket up against the white LED to make sure you're ok with it (it does dim the light some) and return it to the store if you're not.

I cut out a rectangle of it and attached it over the white LED with some double-sided foam tape (something like this):

IMG_20160825_2331283.png

It looks ugly, but you can't see it unless you get your head down by the shifter, so it's fine.

It's really hard to get a good picture in such dim light, but I tried:

IMG_1531.png

It does dim the light some, of course, but not too much for me, and I think the color match with the other blue ambient lights in my car is close enough that no one would suspect it didn't come from the factory like this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It bugged me that the light in the center pocket is white while the light coming from the overhead ambient LED is blue. It seemed even more out of place after I added the OEM console and footwell light kits, since their light is also blue.

This is really too simple for a DIY, but I'm writing it mainly to put the idea out there and to share the source of blue tint I found, after trying a few things, that gives a good color match:

IMG_20160825_2317312.png

It's only $8, and you can test it out by holding one corner of it in the pocket up against the white LED to make sure you're ok with it (it does dim the light some) and return it to the store if you're not.

I cut out a rectangle of it and attached it over the white LED with some double-sided foam tape (something like this):

IMG_20160825_2331283.png

It looks ugly, but you can't see it unless you get your head down by the shifter, so it's fine.

IMG_1531.png

It does dim the light some, of course, but not too much for me, and I think the color match with the other blue ambient lights in my car is close enough that no one would suspect it didn't come from the factory like this.
Looks good! Thanks for the tip.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
haha, there is a light there? I haven't driven my car at night in the 6+ weeks I have had it...good tip!

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Wait......

There's a light down there? I have a 2016 Touring and I don't know that I ever recall seeing a light there...

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait......

There's a light down there? I have a 2016 Touring and I don't know that I ever recall seeing a light there...
Yep! Its a subtle effect, try waving your hand around in that area next time and you'll see. It took me a few weeks to notice it.

Same with the blue ambient lighting in the overhead console area, its the same little light module that's on my dad's Outback, so I knew it was there, but no one else riding in it knows lol.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
Yep! Its a subtle effect, try waving your hand around in that area next time and you'll see. It took me a few weeks to notice it.

Same with the blue ambient lighting in the overhead console area, its the same little light module that's on my dad's Outback, so I knew it was there, but no one else riding in it knows lol.
I knew that was there because my Accord had it...very nice touch!

Mattman1206

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring

IMG_20160825_2317312.png

It's only $8, and you can try it out by holding one corner of it in the pocket up against the white LED to make sure you're ok with it (it does dim the light some) and return it to the store if you're not.

IMG_20160825_2331283.png

IMG_1531.png

Wouldn't something like this workbetter?
www.decorativefilm.com/solyx-sxo-053-lig

Mattman1206

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring

IMG_20160825_2317312.png

IMG_20160825_2331283.png

IMG_1531.png

Or this?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004...arent+tape&dpPl=1&dpID=519Ttsd0hCL&ref=plSrch

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Genius idea! I didn't even notice the light coming from the console.

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have an EXT and it does have that white light down there, but I don't know what you mean with ambient light, can you take a picture of where it comes from? Thank you

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
I have an EXT and it does have that white light down there, but I don't know what you mean with ambient light, can you take a picture of where it comes from? Thank you
The OP added a light kit which added blue ambient lighting to the Car. From there, they modded the white light under the console to also be blue so that it did not seem out of place with the rest of the lighting being blue.

sjnibbe

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX Black, 2017 Civic Sedan EX-L Grey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have 2016 LX Coupe. There was no light there on my oem head unit and there certainly isn't one on the aftermarket Android head unit I installed. I didn't even realize there was a hole there until I was in my boyfriend's ex sedan (i think it is a 2017) the other night and just happened to notice it. I want this light in the worst way. Any ideas on how to install one?
Sponsored