DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10)

Stea1thninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I recently installed a Rockford Fosgate sub in my EX-T and figured I would document the process.

Materials:
Rockford fosgate P300-10
Boss Audio Kit2 Amp install kit
Optional - plug-n-play speaker adapter to avoid cutting\splicing factory wiring harness

Step 1: Power wire through the firewall
The hardest part is routing the power wire from the battery to the trunk so I got that out of the way first. The easiest method is to tape a piece of wire (I used part of a metal hanger) onto the power wire and push it through the grommet used for the hood latch. In order to get access you will need to remove the plastic cover that is around the hood release. It just snaps off if you pull on it. It can be helpful when pulling the wire through the grommet if you lube it with some soapy water.

With the panel removed
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_2003%20Medium_zpsa3y0p5l2

Grommet we are going through
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_2004%20Medium_zpsl9n7xwed

before being pushed through
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_2005%20Medium_zpso6cfqic5

Step 2: Routing power wire
Now that the power wire is through the firewall we want to run it under the carpet along the driver side of the car. Paying special attention to ensure it won't rub on anything metal. I like to run the wire the entire length and then come back and zip tie it as needed. You will need to pull up the majority of the plastic trim on the driver side floor. Same as the other panel is just snaps in place.

The majority of the way is pretty straight forward. To get through the side pillar I specifically ran it through other wires to avoid the metal. I later came back and zip tied it to ensure it will never rub.

Routing through the side pillar from the drivers side
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_2007%20Medium_zpsukpryolh

Routing on the rear floor
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_2008%20Medium_zpsdovxvo2d

From the rear seat you can follow the other wires that are running into the trunk. I pushed the rest of my wire hanger from the trunk through the hole and taped the power wire on it and easily pulled it back.

Going through the hole by the rear seat
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_2010%20Medium_zps3wpcfbuh

Coming into the trunk
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_2011%20Medium_zpscgjsy86e

Step 3: Connect to the battery
This step is pretty straight forward, just avoid anywhere the cable could rub. Used the smallest eyelet they provide in the kit. It fits under the nut on the battery cable well. There are a couple holes behind the fuse panel that work great for securing the fuse holder.

Fuse holder location
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_2013%20Medium_zpseqdiuwlk

On the other end you strip the wire and screw it into the power plug that comes with the p300-10.

Step 4: Ground
There are a bunch of holes already in the body that you can stick a bolt or screw into for the ground. Be sure to clean the paint off before screwing it down. The other end of the ground goes into the power connector the same way the power wire did.

You can see where I ran mine on this completed picture
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_2019%20Medium_zpscxfljdl2

Step 5: Signal
Here you have some options. You could could tap into the existing wire for the rear speakers, you could also wrap wire around the posts on the speaker and tape them to the connector. There way another forum member that documented how to do that. I chose to build plug and play adapters that don't require any modifications to the factory harness. One side has a female speaker adapter that plugs into the factory harness. The other side is split. One branch has a male plug for the existing rear speaker (obtained at the junk yard) and the other runs to the amp for the high level input. I did end up making a couple extra adapters. If you are interested PM me.

Speaker adapter
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_2016%20Medium_zpsa5n6vknb

Speaker adapter installed
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_2017%20Medium_zpsxt55ln

Step 6: Tuning
Now that you have everything connected you just need to find the combination of settings you like. I ended up turning the bass on the head unit down 2 notches below the mid point and use the settings in the picture below on the sub/amp. In my opinion in provides just the right amount of bass without over powering the factory speakers.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_2018%20Medium_zpsqzkdiq0

Step 7: Enjoy
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_2019%20Medium_zpscxfljdl2

Last edited:
OP
OP

Stea1thninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I was debating building a bracket or something to hold the sub in place but the included velcro has been working great.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I was debating building a bracket or something to hold the sub in place but the included velcro has been working great.
It was very impressive right until here.

If for any reason (hard braking/turning, accident, loading in a big item, etc.) you rip out the 12v wire, that is a HUGE safety/fire hazard.

Get a couple of L brackets and screw the box down properly. Other than that, good job!

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It was very impressive right until here.

If for any reason (hard braking/turning, accident, loading in a big item, etc.) you rip out the 12v wire, that is a HUGE safety/fire hazard.

Get a couple of L brackets and screw the box down properly. Other than that, good job!
I couldn't agree with this statement more. Especially with your box design and how far that thing can travel in there. You need to secure that thing down.

Another reason to secure your box down good is to prevent theft. Use anti-theft socket head bolts too.

aduffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-l
How long did the installation take you? I bought the exact sub and was debating doing it myself. But in the end I paid best buy $150 to install.

Love this sub!

kyle_agronick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
I don't know how much of a fire hazard it would be if it has an inline fuse like every setup I've ever installed.

This was really informative. I'll probably end up doing it sometime down the line. Are those speaker adapters common on Hondas? I can't imagine it would be easy to find any 2016s in a junkyard. Are both ends of that adapter found in the trunk? I'm just trying to understand where you got them from.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I don't know how much of a fire hazard it would be if it has an inline fuse like every setup I've ever installed.

This was really informative. I'll probably end up doing it sometime down the line. Are those speaker adapters common on Hondas? I can't imagine it would be easy to find any 2016s in a junkyard. Are both ends of that adapter found in the trunk? I'm just trying to understand where you got them from.
Those speaker harnesses have been used by Honda since the 14th century. You could probably just ebay them if you had time to wait for them to come from China.

As far as the fuse goes, usually it's a 30A inline fuse. If the 12v line makes contact with the chassis, you'll have far more than 30A instantaneously, hence the fire hazard. Sparks, trunk liner catches fire, which is very close to fuel tank, etc. etc.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Fire potential aside, I would never permanently mount a sub directly in the path of an open trunk with the seats down because as a homeowner, I'm either at Lowes or Home Depot once per week. However, major thanks to Stea1th for taking the time to take photos and write it up!

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Fire potential aside, I would never permanently mount a sub directly in the path of an open trunk with the seats down because as a homeowner, I'm either at Lowes or Home Depot once per week. However, major thanks to Stea1th for taking the time to take photos and write it up!
You can get shallow mount subs/enclosures and a separate amp, and bolt those down.

Practicality aside, that really is a true fire potential.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Oh I know. My Infinity BassLink is mounted off to the side and even though it's self amplified, I usually have to turn it down in order to enjoy it.

OP
OP

Stea1thninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Thanks for the safety comments. I will build a mount but the sub does have a break away power connector so even if it goes tumbling it will not result in an exposed wire.

The install was broken up over a couple of days and included a trip to the junk yard. I would guess total it was around 3 hours but I wasn't it a rush and took a bunch of pictures along the way.

The male, speaker side, of the adapter you can find in a ton of different Honda's and the female side I bought on Amazon. I have a couple spares if you are looking for a set PM me.

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
I'd really like to see a solution that mounts the subwoofer to the decklid, similar to how it the stock Touring subwoofer is mounted. I don't know how practical actually cutting into the decklid would be, but at least getting it up there would make it somewhat out of the way and secure.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so I just got my p300-10 in the mail and came here to follow the diy and the pictures are gone, any way you could bring them back up @Stea1thninja ?

OP
OP

Stea1thninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I just checked and photobucket is down for maintenance. If it doesn't come back up soon I can look into hosting them somewhere else.