DIY hood strut / damper?

aottaviano1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 128i
Has anyone installed a hood strut on the 10th gen Civic yet? Any generic ones that should work?
Sponsored

CosmicSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
I might be interested to install these...any drilling required or do you use existing mount points?

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
I'm not sure if I represent anything but I really hate it when new folks come here and are told to Google stuff. Yeah, I know everyone should look stuff up on their own but it kinda ruins the spirit of comraderie when the first answer is to slam a newb for not looking it up.

This forum hasn't been around long enough so that questions have been answered a hundred times before and even if it were, it would take less energy to NOT type a douchebag response than it would to just move on and let others answer in a meaningful way. Personally, if I see a newb question that's been answered many times before, I save myself the energy to be mean and just move on to another thread because I know they'll start searching anyway. Less stress on me; less stress on them.

When I was growing up, it went something like "if you don't have anything nice to say...." and so on.

Everyone is new once so no big deal. The other maxim was "just be nice." What's so hard about just being nice?

Oh and sorry, no hood struts here because I don't plan on opening my hood so much that the stock prop can't handle.

Last edited:

Tearhammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 6 speed LX Civic Blue, 2013 Chevy Sonic LT hatch
My Santa Fe 13 had one, it was awesome. I knew my gd3 had one available but I never bought it. The small things I miss.

Drive By Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I'm not sure if your a troll or just a jerk. Im new to this site so I hope your just a bad apple and not a representative of the rest of the site
Sorry I come across harsh. But it's a strut with two ends you connect to any available mounting points. If no mounting points are available, make them. What's the big deal of trying something first? Buy one, install it, make a write up.
Oh and sorry, no hood struts here because I don't plan on opening my hood so much that the stock prop can't handle.
It really boils down to this. I popped the hood just to look at the tiny motor, and again to install HID's. All in all 10 minutes with the hood open. I don't see a need for them.

Drive By Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
But you know what the hood could use? A few strips of Dynomat or equivalent sound insulation. But then again, for the few time i'll open the hood, is it really worth it?

Syseen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT, 1982 Suzuki GS750T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY hood strut / damper? 20180919_134947
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY hood strut / damper? 20180919_134952
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY hood strut / damper? 20180919_134957
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY hood strut / damper? 20180919_135005
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY hood strut / damper? 20180919_135009
Got the kit from eBay and it's exactly what I expected. Cheap chinesium crap but it works alright. I did find a video (after I installed mine) of a guy in Taiwan installing them and I'd probably recommend going his route to see if it fits a little better.

You could probably get away with making your own kit by getting better quality 25" to 27" gas struts from autozone and mounting them to the OEM hole in the hinge meant for the washer fluid hose clamp and into. Then using thicker washers mount the other end into the holes already made in the radiator support.

I'm going to try these out for a while and make sure nothing is rubbing on anything important and follow up if I take them out or change anything.

Video:

ajsti24

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 STi Type RA, 2017 MB-AMG GLC43, 2019 Giulia
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not sure if I represent anything but I really hate it when new folks come here and are told to Google stuff. Yeah, I know everyone should look stuff up on their own but it kinda ruins the spirit of comraderie when the first answer is to slam a newb for not looking it up.

This forum hasn't been around long enough so that questions have been answered a hundred times before and even if it were, it would take less energy to NOT type a douchebag response than it would to just move on and let others answer in a meaningful way. Personally, if I see a newb question that's been answered many times before, I save myself the energy to be mean and just move on to another thread because I know they'll start searching anyway. Less stress on me; less stress on them.

When I was growing up, it went something like "if you don't have anything nice to say...." and so on.

Everyone is new once so no big deal. The other maxim was "just be nice." What's so hard about just being nice?

I agree 200%

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Nice accoutrement, but not essential for most people, but really nice accoutrement for those who tinker underneath the hood. Surely with some research someone could come up with a creative way to link up a monroe gas shock in the under the hood area. Props to whoever does the research and comes up with a cheap DIY solution for under $30 USD. :D
Sponsored