DIY HID Projector Retrofit

Tw1tcHy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I didn't like my first retrofit and so Im re-doing it again using oem headlights. Im also going to use the washer method to elevate and adjust the beams better.

I also agree with seacow that this thread has been very helpful.
Very informative thread indeed. However, for your 2nd retrofit, would you mind adding a little context to the photos you're posting? Not trying to sound critical at all, I just haven't done this before so I'd like to better understand what's going on :) What did you not like about your first attempt and what do you think you could have done better the first time?
Sponsored

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
For sure. So when I decided that I was going to do my first retrofit I did a lot ( lot ) of extensive research. (hidplanet, headlight junkies, youtube and this thread and a few other threads have some retrofits here and there). Where I live I don't have access to a garage so I can't take apart the headlights because I only have 1 car. Therefore, my plan was to buy either a brand new set of headlights (247 each plus tax and shipping or aftermarket) Aftermarket came out to 300 shipped. Aftermarket headlights seemed pretty good. Internals were ok.

My first retrofit: 1st mistake: I mistakenly placed the custom bracket in between the projector and housing. This throws off the beam. 2nd mistake: The Morimoto 5.0 beam hits lower then our projector by about 1 foot. I left it like that and even though the beam was straight it just didn't look right. 3rd mistake: Using aftermarket headlights, the plastic just outside the projector glass started melting on both sides. It took me 2 weeks to complete this project. On the very next week I re-ordered parts for my 2nd retrofit.

Borrowed my friends garage and this guy has tools for every need.
My second retrofit: Oem headlights. Day 1: I made all the brackets, removed the chrome from the reflectors. Day 2: Polished the projector holder, some painting. Day 3: Mounted projector using washer method beam hits dead on the original cut off. Next day headlight are ready to be sealed.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1004.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1010.JPG

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The short answer as to why Im doing a second retrofit. :doh:

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_0993.JPG

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Alright project complete! Everything came out perfect.
I was using morimoto 45k but ill replace them with my cbb's

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1079.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1076_LI

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1071.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_E1054.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1051.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1022.JPG

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
This thread has been helpful in my first attempt at retrofitting. I initially did the Retroquik H1 but am not in love with the outcome (step is really noticeable and the width just isn’t there, still better than a drop in HID though). So I started a second retrofit with Maxima projectors instead and came across that there is a Left and Right side specific indicator on the bracket. It effects the light output for width. Just in case anyone uses these and want the best output possible to be mindful.

F62B8ACE-204B-416D-8239-E78B9D01B502.jpeg
Do you have any pics of the retroquick?

Seacow

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Do you have any pics of the retroquick?
This is what I could get for now. I have the morimoto 5500k H1 bulb. It’s not broken in completely as it’s only been a couple weeks since I did the retrofit.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit BD30F6E3-9E11-4B7E-8469-80F88019BB13
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit 310D7E28-9B23-4CDB-9446-08D1BA264810
Hope this helps.

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright project complete! Everything came out perfect.
I was using morimoto 45k but ill replace them with my cbb's

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1076_LI.jpg

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_E1054.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG
Your retrofit looks great. I just ordered a set of OEM Headlights and am probably will go with D2S 5.0s. Couple questions

1) WIth the custom bracket that you made, did you just trace the original bracket then cut it out?

2) What did you use to remove the chrome? I'm probably going to paint the area black too.

3) With the washer method did you need longer bolts to go with it too?

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Your retrofit looks great. I just ordered a set of OEM Headlights and am probably will go with D2S 5.0s. Couple questions

1) With the custom bracket that you made, did you just trace the original bracket then cut it out?

2) What did you use to remove the chrome? I'm probably going to paint the area black too.

3) With the washer method did you need longer bolts to go with it too?
Hey! Im excited for you. Is this your first retrofit? I want to make sure you have all the tools you need before you get started.
I'll answer your questions but before you actually get started wait.

1) Yes, I traced it, but you have to make sure that when its sitting on there's only one gap which will either be on the lower left or lower right side. I can show you in a pic what I mean by that. Also also I ended up using the universal bracket on top of the oem bracket (this is because the oem bracket when you remove the inner part the universal bracket becomes very flexible) and doing so was very difficult to cut out lucky my friend had hand held mechanical saw. Even after you cut threw there are shard edges that have to be filed. I was going to tons of bits. I just traced the oem using the universal bracket.

2) To remove the chrome I used EasyOff (oven cleaner) which maybe still available in this pandemic. Wear a mask! Spray outside like your spray painting. Cover chrome you want to remove. The spray foams up leave it on for about 3-5 minutes, I rinsed and repeated. (I would also get 2 cans because mine for some reason clogged up.)

3) I got the screws/bolts/washers from Ace Hardware. The top is a hex I think the screws length is about 1 inch 1/8 (you can get this in black or stainless steel)

4th pic is a bench test i put together to make sure lights are straight.

Let me know if you want my notes on how to do a retrofit because I gathered bits and pieces off of the internet no one helped me.

I just installed my 3rd set of bulbs which i have to say are my favorite the Phillips XV2 (d2s)
-Osram 7K CBB
-Morimoto 55K
-Phillips XV2

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_E1315.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1017 (1).JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_0943.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_E1317.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_0717xx

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1333.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1323.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit IMG_1325.JPG

Last edited:

Seacow

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
So, now I’ve had time to test out the Maxima projectors and it might be me, but the sharp cutoff just isn’t there for me (I’m particular with light output). It is better than than my first retrofit attempt though (mini H1 in Chinese headlights). So I started my third retrofit by reusing the mini H1 projectors in OEM housings (used the washer method to raise the aim a little higher, thanks Rone811) as opposed to the Chinese made ones, and WOW, what a difference it makes!

The aim is spot on and the cutoff is sharp for both headlights. As before the passenger side was pointed more to the right and the cutoff was cockeyed and hazy.

Learn from my mistake, do a proper retrofit with OEM headlights from the get go. Cutting corners with a donor Chinese headlight just cost me more in the end and they are now just large paperweights. I’ll upload pictures when I’m able to. Thanks again to all that contributed!

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So, now I’ve had time to test out the Maxima projectors and it might be me, but the sharp cutoff just isn’t there for me (I’m particular with light output). It is better than than my first retrofit attempt though (mini H1 in Chinese headlights). So I started my third retrofit by reusing the mini H1 projectors in OEM housings (used the washer method to raise the aim a little higher, thanks Rone811) as opposed to the Chinese made ones, and WOW, what a difference it makes!

The aim is spot on and the cutoff is sharp for both headlights. As before the passenger side was pointed more to the right and the cutoff was cockeyed and hazy.

Learn from my mistake, do a proper retrofit with OEM headlights from the get go. Cutting corners with a donor Chinese headlight just cost me more in the end and they are now just large paperweights. I’ll upload pictures when I’m able to. Thanks again to all that contributed!

I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm really looking forward to those pics :)
If this retrofit doesn't work out to your liking then Morimoto D2S 5.0 next??

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey! Im excited for you. Is this your first retrofit? I want to make sure you have all the tools you need before you get started.
I'll answer your questions but before you actually get started wait.

1) Yes, I traced it, but you have to make sure that when its sitting on there's only one gap which will either be on the lower left or lower right side. I can show you in a pic what I mean by that. Also also I ended up using the universal bracket on top of the oem bracket (this is because the oem bracket when you remove the inner part the universal bracket becomes very flexible) and doing so was very difficult to cut out lucky my friend had hand held mechanical saw. Even after you cut threw there are shard edges that have to be filed. I was going to tons of bits. I just traced the oem using the universal bracket.

2) To remove the chrome I used EasyOff (oven cleaner) which maybe still available in this pandemic. Wear a mask! Spray outside like your spray painting. Cover chrome you want to remove. The spray foams up leave it on for about 3-5 minutes, I rinsed and repeated. (I would also get 2 cans because mine for some reason clogged up.)

3) I got the screws/bolts/washers from Ace Hardware. The top is a hex I think the screws length is about 1 inch 1/8 (you can get this in black or stainless steel)

4th pic is a bench test i put together to make sure lights are straight.

Let me know if you want my notes on how to do a retrofit because I gathered bits and pieces off of the internet no one helped me.

I just installed my 3rd set of bulbs which i have to say are my favorite the Phillips XV2 (d2s)
-Osram 7K CBB
-Morimoto 55K
-Phillips XV2

IMG_E1315.JPG

IMG_1017 (1).JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_E1317.JPG

IMG_0717xx.jpg

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG
Yup this will be my first retrofit.
Just received my headlights but it looks like the retrofit source is out of universal D2S brackets until mid may...

I would love your notes. Complete noob hoping not to screw anything up

Seacow

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Here are some pics of the MH1 with 5500k 35w XB elite kit. Maybe about 7-8 hours of actual on time for the bulbs. The fog lights are off in the pictures. Haven’t really driven at night with the lockdown happening. @Rone811 regarding the D2S 5.0, I might actually! LOL! Your pictures and notes really make it seem easy peasy! I have a third spare OEM headlights with the Maxima projectors sitting in the garage still, so very enticing!

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit FCC7E584-29B9-4B10-9F9F-5594F64D1603

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit 029F5C00-2AA6-45AA-84F4-D2EFEC1398C7

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Wow that looks amazing! You seem like retrofit pro. The only reason I went with the 5.0 was because the light output was concentrated more on the center then on the sides. Bay_Hatch will let you know if my notes are good or bad.

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just finished my D2S 5.0 retrofits thanks to the guidance of @Rone811. Project took me about three weeks from start to finish as this was my first retrofit. Also I may have messed up my universal D2S brackets so ended up cutting the OEM ones. But I couldn’t be happier with the results. I love the color the the projector in our card alongside the wide beam of the D2S.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit C9FDEC99-8EFF-4EA7-B0E1-01D2E78AC7DD
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit 4A51DED1-3CA3-487B-936E-0920D91221DB

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit AD4853D9-E589-471D-B976-F61D0D5FDE0A

Last edited:

Zowee23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic RS
Country flag
Im getting this "film" build up inside my headlights after retrofitting them last January. Anyone else having the same issue?

- 50w hilux ballasts
- Osram CBB's

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit received_646376969304143

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit received_582818889274052

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit received_566759277332690

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY HID Projector Retrofit received_646376969304143