DIY Front mud flaps

1. KeepItLow

KeepItLow Senior Member

Car(s):
    Car
    Thought I'd share a little diy project I did..

I bought some universal rally armour mudflaps to cut up into size using a paper template I made with the correct measurement. It uses the original 3 screws on the front of the sideskirt for a clean fit, I tested it on track last week and it worked very well preventing debris being flicked to the side of the car.

Let me know what you guys think or if you have better ideas please share! :)

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

2. childishthing

childishthing Chief Hamster Wrangler

First Name:
    Jesse
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si (sold), 2018 Civic Type R (sold), 2020 Civic Si (current)
    Looks pretty clean. I typically don't like the look of those, but yours don't protrude very far out.

KeepItLow thanked this.
  3. HRace

HRace Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda Civic
    Not bad!!! It doesn’t stand out like the typical rally armor flaps and if it stops a bunch of debris from causing chipping that would be well worth it. Have a .pdf template for us yet?!

KeepItLow thanked this.
  4. OP
    OP
    KeepItLow

KeepItLow Senior Member

Car(s):
    Car
    Thanks guy, I don't have a pdf template. I use a sheet of A4 paper and just fold the edges in to form the shape :)

My goal was to make it as hidden as possible, here's some further away pics which I also posted in the Wheels Thread and its not that visible unless you know its there..

IMG_0395.jpg

29683840_10155267517836120_5422333959944011776_o.jpg

keiothic, Sparkles, Vortexhunter and 2 others thanked this.
  5. keiothic

keiothic Senior Member

First Name:
    YoK
    Car(s):
    '19 FK8 CW #22485
    Hi! What do you use to achieve the clean cut? Blue painters' tape? Which RA universal mud flap was it? I see yours have no RA logo. Unless that was the part that got trimmed. Great work BTW.

Also: stock screws?

KeepItLow thanked this.
  6. OP
    OP
    KeepItLow

KeepItLow Senior Member

Car(s):
    Car
    #6 KeepItLow, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Since I have already made the template I just mark the shape on the rally armour universal flaps I bought, then use a large size razor blade and metal ruler to slowly cut the shape out. The universal mudflaps comes in 4 pieces and if you position it well, I can make a 2 set of these DIY flaps with each piece. Also yes when I position the template I made sure it was not on the logo as I didn't want that..

I did use 1-2 piece of the original mudflap for trial and error just to get the length and width I want, so the final iteration was perfect. After that all you need is trim the edges round with a clipper and drill the holes in the marked position. Therefore I still have 2 sets of flaps for spares since its gonna be a wear and tear item, but to my surprise the ones on the car still look in pretty good shape after 1 year use ;)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rally-A...m282ea571d8:g:xe4AAOSwddpca15~&frcectupt=true

The 3 bolts you see are all factory bolts and using the factory locations as well, so its super neat :)

Here's a photo I took this morning, I brightened up the photo so you can see where the marks of rocks and debris its being blocking off..

IMG_0279.jpg

keiothic thanked this.
  7. keiothic

keiothic Senior Member

First Name:
    YoK
    Car(s):
    '19 FK8 CW #22485
    #7 keiothic, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Sweet stuff. I'm gonna try to make one of my own then as a vacation project.
    Did you use the edge of the painted part of your car as a guide for 1 of the side (side closest to the wheel well).
    upload_2019-3-23_20-27-33.png

8. OP
    OP
    KeepItLow

KeepItLow Senior Member

Car(s):
    Car
    No, the inner and outer edge is different shape. Reason for that is if you look at the wheel liner there's this slight contour, hence I tried to shape it so it lines up with it.

Here's a photo I took now to show you :)

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

keiothic thanked this.
  9. SGP-R

SGP-R Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Car(s):
    Sonic Gray Pearl CTR '19 #26529, '17 Civic EX-L
    Is there anyway to convince you to scan your template for upload? That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Or you could always have a side gig of making some.

10. keiothic

keiothic Senior Member

First Name:
    YoK
    Car(s):
    '19 FK8 CW #22485
    Weren't you the one that also gave me the same advice about selling it? lol I just finished the full install over the weekend. I was going to wash my car first for proper show and tell, but it's been raining silly here and there. If you don't mind dirty, I'll post what I have. I made mine for front and back, with my own template :)

11. Andjoo

Andjoo Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
    Sharing is caring. Would love to see your install, and a scan of your template!

12. SGP-R

SGP-R Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Car(s):
    Sonic Gray Pearl CTR '19 #26529, '17 Civic EX-L
    Maybe, it sounds like something I'd do lol. I'd go for a template or some actual rock guards. I can't buy the RA ones, they're too gaudy for me. With Andjoo in on it now, that's two people who would love the hookup lol.

13. joshhjackson2112

joshhjackson2112 Senior Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Car(s):
    18' SI
  14. keiothic

keiothic Senior Member

First Name:
    YoK
    Car(s):
    '19 FK8 CW #22485
    #14 keiothic, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Here are some quick shots of mine from a few days ago prior to calling it done...
    upload_2019-4-30_20-18-27.png
    upload_2019-4-30_20-19-10.png
    Don't mind the gap in the rear. I've taken care of it with double-sided automotive trim tape. You have to consider the back bumper only has 1 reasonably placed screw the plastic mud flap can be secured to (other screw is on the rear fender and too far up)
    upload_2019-4-30_20-19-40.png
    A shot of drill locations for the front that I had measure, remeasure, retrace on paper template, remeasure again because paper is different than my test cardboard, remeasure yet again because the final plastic piece I got is thinner than my test cardboard... All that to assure myself that I can align the stock screws back in. They aren't aligned as vertically, like the rear. Also, mine is slightly taller than KeepItLow's as it covers 4 screw points (technically 3 screw points + 1 fastener, I converted the fastener to a self tap screw like the rest)
    upload_2019-4-30_20-20-12.png

KeepItLow thanked this.
  15. keiothic

keiothic Senior Member

First Name:
    YoK
    Car(s):
    '19 FK8 CW #22485
    All and all, if my work is received well and there is actually a legitimate interest in this forum for this, I would consider making more of this. That's all I'll say for now. It was a neat project and a somewhat fun experience. It's definitely what our CTR needed.