DIY Front mud flaps

KeepItLow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Thought I'd share a little diy project I did..

I bought some universal rally armour mudflaps to cut up into size using a paper template I made with the correct measurement. It uses the original 3 screws on the front of the sideskirt for a clean fit, I tested it on track last week and it worked very well preventing debris being flicked to the side of the car.

Let me know what you guys think or if you have better ideas please share! :)

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Front mud flaps IMG_0418

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Front mud flaps IMG_0419

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Front mud flaps IMG_0420

childishthing

Chief Hamster Wrangler
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (sold), 2018 Civic Type R (sold), 2020 Civic Si (current)
Country flag
Looks pretty clean. I typically don't like the look of those, but yours don't protrude very far out.

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Thought I'd share a little diy project I did..

I bought some universal rally armour mudflaps to cut up into size using a paper template I made with the correct measurement. It uses the original 3 screws on the front of the sideskirt for a clean fit, I tested it on track last week and it worked very well preventing debris being flicked to the side of the car.

Let me know what you guys think or if you have better ideas please share! :)

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg
Not bad!!! It doesn’t stand out like the typical rally armor flaps and if it stops a bunch of debris from causing chipping that would be well worth it. Have a .pdf template for us yet?!

OP
OP
KeepItLow

KeepItLow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Thanks guy, I don't have a pdf template. I use a sheet of A4 paper and just fold the edges in to form the shape :)

My goal was to make it as hidden as possible, here's some further away pics which I also posted in the Wheels Thread and its not that visible unless you know its there..

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Front mud flaps IMG_0395

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Front mud flaps 29683840_10155267517836120_5422333959944011776_o

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Hi! What do you use to achieve the clean cut? Blue painters' tape? Which RA universal mud flap was it? I see yours have no RA logo. Unless that was the part that got trimmed. Great work BTW.

Also: stock screws?

OP
OP
KeepItLow

KeepItLow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Hi! What do you use to achieve the clean cut? Blue painters' tape? Which RA universal mud flap was it? I see yours have no RA logo. Unless that was the part that got trimmed. Great work BTW.

Also: stock screws?
Since I have already made the template I just mark the shape on the rally armour universal flaps I bought, then use a large size razor blade and metal ruler to slowly cut the shape out. The universal mudflaps comes in 4 pieces and if you position it well, I can make a 2 set of these DIY flaps with each piece. Also yes when I position the template I made sure it was not on the logo as I didn't want that..

I did use 1-2 piece of the original mudflap for trial and error just to get the length and width I want, so the final iteration was perfect. After that all you need is trim the edges round with a clipper and drill the holes in the marked position. Therefore I still have 2 sets of flaps for spares since its gonna be a wear and tear item, but to my surprise the ones on the car still look in pretty good shape after 1 year use ;)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rally-A...m282ea571d8:g:xe4AAOSwddpca15~&frcectupt=true

The 3 bolts you see are all factory bolts and using the factory locations as well, so its super neat :)

Here's a photo I took this morning, I brightened up the photo so you can see where the marks of rocks and debris its being blocking off..

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Front mud flaps IMG_0279

Last edited:

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Since I have already made the template I just mark the shape on the rally armour universal flaps I bought, then use a large size razor blade and metal ruler to slowly cut the shape out. The universal mudflaps comes in 4 pieces and if you position it well, I can make a 2 set of these DIY flaps with each piece. Also yes when I position the template I made sure it was not on the logo as I didn't want that..

I did use 1-2 piece of the original mudflap for trial and error just to get the length and width I want, so the final iteration was perfect. Therefore I still have 2 sets of flaps for spares since its gonna be a wear and tear item, but to my surprise the ones on the car still look in pretty good shape after 1 year use ;)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rally-A...m282ea571d8:g:xe4AAOSwddpca15~&frcectupt=true

Then trim the edges round with a clipper and drill the holes in the marked position.

The 3 bolts you see are all factory bolts and using the factory locations as well, so its super neat :)

Here's a photo I took this morning, I brightened up the photo so you can see where the marks of rocks and debris its being blocking off..

IMG_0279.jpg
Sweet stuff. I'm gonna try to make one of my own then as a vacation project.
Did you use the edge of the painted part of your car as a guide for 1 of the side (side closest to the wheel well).
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Front mud flaps upload_2019-3-23_20-27-33

Last edited:
OP
OP
KeepItLow

KeepItLow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Did you use the edge of the painted part of your car as a guide for 1 of the side (side closest to the wheel well).
No, the inner and outer edge is different shape. Reason for that is if you look at the wheel liner there's this slight contour, hence I tried to shape it so it lines up with it.

Here's a photo I took now to show you :)

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Front mud flaps IMG_0420

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Front mud flaps IMG_0281

SGP-R

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sonic Gray Pearl CTR '19 #26529, '17 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Thanks guy, I don't have a pdf template. I use a sheet of A4 paper and just fold the edges in to form the shape :)

My goal was to make it as hidden as possible, here's some further away pics which I also posted in the Wheels Thread and its not that visible unless you know its there..

IMG_0395.jpg

29683840_10155267517836120_5422333959944011776_o.jpg
Is there anyway to convince you to scan your template for upload? That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Or you could always have a side gig of making some.

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Is there anyway to convince you to scan your template for upload? That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Or you could always have a side gig of making some.
Weren't you the one that also gave me the same advice about selling it? lol I just finished the full install over the weekend. I was going to wash my car first for proper show and tell, but it's been raining silly here and there. If you don't mind dirty, I'll post what I have. I made mine for front and back, with my own template :)

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Weren't you the one that also gave me the same advice about selling it? lol I just finished the full install over the weekend. I was going to wash my car first for proper show and tell, but it's been raining silly here and there. If you don't mind dirty, I'll post what I have. I made mine for front and back, with my own template :)
Sharing is caring. Would love to see your install, and a scan of your template!

SGP-R

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sonic Gray Pearl CTR '19 #26529, '17 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Maybe, it sounds like something I'd do lol. I'd go for a template or some actual rock guards. I can't buy the RA ones, they're too gaudy for me. With Andjoo in on it now, that's two people who would love the hookup lol.

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Here are some quick shots of mine from a few days ago prior to calling it done...
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Front mud flaps upload_2019-4-30_20-18-27

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Front mud flaps upload_2019-4-30_20-19-10

Don't mind the gap in the rear. I've taken care of it with double-sided automotive trim tape. You have to consider the back bumper only has 1 reasonably placed screw the plastic mud flap can be secured to (other screw is on the rear fender and too far up)
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Front mud flaps upload_2019-4-30_20-19-40

A shot of drill locations for the front that I had measure, remeasure, retrace on paper template, remeasure again because paper is different than my test cardboard, remeasure yet again because the final plastic piece I got is thinner than my test cardboard... All that to assure myself that I can align the stock screws back in. They aren't aligned as vertically, like the rear. Also, mine is slightly taller than KeepItLow's as it covers 4 screw points (technically 3 screw points + 1 fastener, I converted the fastener to a self tap screw like the rest)
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY Front mud flaps upload_2019-4-30_20-20-12

Last edited:

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
All and all, if my work is received well and there is actually a legitimate interest in this forum for this, I would consider making more of this. That's all I'll say for now. It was a neat project and a somewhat fun experience. It's definitely what our CTR needed.
Sponsored