DIY: Front Door Panel Removal and Speaker Upgrade

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
So I installed my 4 infinity reference 6.5 speakers. I used the HONDA SPEAKER ADAPTER KIT. There isn't much of a difference with sound from Stock to these speakers at the moment. My next phase is installing my 5 channel amp and AUDIO CONTROL. I noticed that the speakers have 4 wires going to them. When I use my AUDIO CONTROL LC2i, do I use all 4 of those wires? or do I use two of them????
There are probably 4 wires because, 2 wires to the driver, and 2 wires to the tweeter. Which would mean there's some sort of crossover where they're split to high/low frequencies.

The LC2i should be installed before they're split, in theory.
Sponsored

Anthonyjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Yes... I know, but if this odd radio doesn't do that. Can I just twist the positive of the HIGH/LOW and the Negative of the HIGH/LOW together and insert it in say "LEFT SPEAKER" of the AUDIO CONTROL?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag

Anthonyjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
No lol - huge risk.

You'll need a "summing" device, to add together the signals, such as this: http://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/factory-system-upgrade/lc6i/

Im confused with the wiring though for ONE reason. Why would ALL 4 wires go to the door speaker AND the tweeter????? Why wouldn't it just go to the tweeter separate... If there is a crossover on the CHEAP 7 ounce speaker... then I guess Im in luck because then I know its a full range signal being sent...

I want to try to verify this before returning the 2 channel LC2i...Its much cheaper... I was going to split the RCA outputs with 2 Y connectors and run them into the amp because I know for certain the back speakers are not getting a good signal... I replaced them with the same speakers as my front speakers and they sound ABSOLUTELY LACKING OF EVERYTHING...

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
You have an EX-T?

How are the speakers configured (ie. I don't remember if it's a 6 speaker system, how many speakers where, how many wires, etc.)

Anthonyjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
You have an EX-T?

How are the speakers configured (ie. I don't remember if it's a 6 speaker system, how many speakers where, how many wires, etc.)
Ex-t. It's 2 door and 2 tweeters. Then 2 rear and 2 tweeters

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
And the rear speakers are 1 unit physically, but 4 wires going into the separate drivers?

In any case, for the EX-T there's no separate amp, so most likely it's the heat unit doing the crossover/eq; in my mind it looks like you'll have to buy 2 summing devices, 1 each for the front and the rears.

From there you can all go into a 5 channel amp, and connect accordingly, adding crossovers if you have component speakers.

I miss the days of standard size single-din HU's...so easy to replace/upgrade.

Anthonyjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
And the rear speakers are 1 unit physically, but 4 wires going into the separate drivers?

In any case, for the EX-T there's no separate amp, so most likely it's the heat unit doing the crossover/eq; in my mind it looks like you'll have to buy 2 summing devices, 1 each for the front and the rears.

From there you can all go into a 5 channel amp, and connect accordingly, adding crossovers if you have component speakers.

I miss the days of standard size single-din HU's...so easy to replace/upgrade.

This is for the birds. So in order to get amped sound to my speakers and "accubass" because the bass is totally rolled off...I need to purchase 2 lc7i. What is the point of having one???? This is very upsetting... A lot more work too.

Otherwise, I could just keep my current speakers as they are. Tap off the rear and just power my sub???? I feel like that is half @$$

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Yeah, it's definitely not upgrade friendly.

What somebody else did say in another thread though, is that apparently the HU comes with digital optical output. So that may be a separate solution in itself, although you'd have to do more research on that.

Lastly, adding just the sub, while it may be half-assed, may actually be the balance between what you achieve and how much work/money you put into it lol

Anthonyjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Yeah, it's definitely not upgrade friendly.

What somebody else did say in another thread though, is that apparently the HU comes with digital optical output. So that may be a separate solution in itself, although you'd have to do more research on that.

Lastly, adding just the sub, while it may be half-assed, may actually be the balance between what you achieve and how much work/money you put into it lol

I think I read the product wrong. I believe I can get a LEFT and RIGHT signal out of this device + a SUB line... So I only need one. Honestly, I wouldn't mind not having the FADER function as long as I had true stereo. From what im seeing. I can input both left and right, and get a LEFT and RIGHT combined output each...

Do you have any experience here?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Are you talking about the LC2i?

If you don't need L/R fader then you can definitely do that.
I use it occasionally when my passenger is sleeping or something and I need music to keep me awake, but

But again, you are running based off assumptions because without accounting for all the signals, it's impossible to tell how the HU is splitting/equalizing signals lol

Anthonyjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Are you talking about the LC2i?

If you don't need L/R fader then you can definitely do that.
I use it occasionally when my passenger is sleeping or something and I need music to keep me awake, but

But again, you are running based off assumptions because without accounting for all the signals, it's impossible to tell how the HU is splitting/equalizing signals lol
I meant the lc7i - it has left right. 1 channel
Then left right 2 channel.

Am I still not getting this???

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I'm gonna PM you - this is turning into a lengthy discussion and we're threadjacking lol.

You can post the results at the end if it helps you haha

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Im more of a visual leaner. Could someone please post a video of this process? I only need to know how to take the door panel off.

Anthonyjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Everything is done except the wiring of the front door speakers to the amp in the back. Currently they are running off the head unit. Next step is to attach a Y connector to my Audio Control L2Ci main outputs and run the signal to the front speakers from the amp. The sound difference between the fronts without ACCUBASS and the rears WITH ACCUBASS is INCREDIBLE....

This little 10 inch infinity with tiny sealed box hits so much harder than I expected for $52.99 off amazon. Getting the 12 inch in a ported enclosure may be overkill. Im still contemplating it though!

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Front Door Panel Removal and Speaker Upgrade IMG_4342.JPG
Sponsored