OP
OP

makemerush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Apparently I stopped taking pictures halfway through the second door.

The short summary of steps to follow is:

1) Use a removal kit to remove the piece with the power window buttons (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...emoval tool&qid=1452648801&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1) - avoid screwdrivers because they will mark up your plastic trim.

It's easier to start on the side closest to the mirror. After that side pops, make it pop from the side towards the door, then pull it off and disconnect the connectors.

2) Remove the screw in the middle

3) Use the panel popper to slide under the bottom left of the door panel and pop that out. Once one green pin pops, the rest is a lot easier. There's 9 total. After the bottom is done, do the top closest to the mirror, the panel up/towards you from the bottom. On the driver side door, disconnect the connector for the trunk release.

4(OPTIONAL) Peel off the vapour barrier and apply dynamat everywhere you can - make sure not to block the window (test it).

5) Use an adapter kit for your aftermarket speakers (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0002BEPJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C86HEV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) OR make adapters yourself and solder the connections (if you don't mind having a permanent installation)

6) Put it all back together

Sorry I don't have time to give a better tutorial than this for now...

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
How big of a sound difference do you notice with the new speakers?

classmarcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T LSM ; 2006 Civic EX ASM
Country flag
So I noticed you bought 2 way Polk speakers, so you disconnected the tweeter on the front pillars? or are they still hooked up?

OP
OP

makemerush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
How big of a sound difference do you notice with the new speakers?
It's a work in progress. I wouldn't say it's much better besides slightly more low-end but I had to re-EQ everything. After the subwoofer is installed the difference will be substantial.

The real issue is the DSP in the head-unit cutting out frequencies my speakers can actually reproduce...

So I noticed you bought 2 way Polk speakers, so you disconnected the tweeter on the front pillars? or are they still hooked up?
They're straight out of my old car! I left them hooked up for now but I may disconnect them after I install everything and can spend some time tuning things. I didn't want to spend any additional money and I don't know how accessible the tweeter location is.

I will report back after I do the rest of the car (~couple of weeks).

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Grey Civic Touring
Stock tweeters are connected for the time being. I may reconsider when I've had more time to experiment.
Forgive my blindness, but I only see 1 sub. Removing rear deck feels like it would be too complicated, so I haven't attempted that yet.

Very curious: How are FM, XM, and HD Radio sources quality-wise? My FM is terrible, XM is alright, and HD is amazing, or as good as can be all things considered.

OP
OP

makemerush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Second sub is in the trunk (it's a box)

I'll have to take pictures at some point, I just posted what I had.

I still need to install an audiocontrol lc2i to compensate for the stupid factory DSP. Because the signal level is insanely low so I have to run my 500w RMS amp at maximum gain with maximum bass boost. Interestingly, the subwoofer output gain on the head unit itself doesn't do much between middle and max setting, so the DSP is doing something weird on that. Considering the so-called sub that came with the car was wired with 20+ gauge I guess I shouldn't be surprised lol

OP
OP

makemerush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Forgive my blindness, but I only see 1 sub. Removing rear deck feels like it would be too complicated, so I haven't attempted that yet.

Very curious: How are FM, XM, and HD Radio sources quality-wise? My FM is terrible, XM is alright, and HD is amazing, or as good as can be all things considered.
I don't use FM or XM/HD - I literally only use CarPlay, which sounds great. I tried Sirius once and it was pretty bad on certain tracks - unsure why.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Grey Civic Touring
I don't use FM or XM/HD - I literally only use CarPlay, which sounds great. I tried Sirius once and it was pretty bad on certain tracks - unsure why.
Yeah, sadly radios sound like garbage. Which android auto music player do you use? Is there one that allows skipping/fast forwarding? Developers seem to retardedly leave that feature out.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Grey Civic Touring
Makemerush,

Can you confirm that rear speakers are also 6.5", and that the sub is 8"? How much depth clearance upward is there between the 6.5" speakers and the grill? Would coax fit? I had issues fitting speakers with protruding tweeters in my front side panels.

OP
OP

makemerush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Makemerush,

Can you confirm that rear speakers are also 6.5", and that the sub is 8"? How much depth clearance upward is there between the 6.5" speakers and the grill? Would coax fit? I had issues fitting speakers with protruding tweeters in my front side panels.
Those sizes are correct but keep in mind that for the 8 inch subwoofer, the hole is a bit less than 8 inches and what really matters is the size of the "basket". My Polk db850 barely fits and I had to build an adapter to "raise" it above the hole by an inch or so to have it fit (and even then, it's very tight).

Also remember that woofers move so make sure you leave enough room for the woofer's excursion (upward movement).

I recommend getting a sub with a narrower basket than what I got.

As for the rear deck speakers, they are 6.5" but there is over an inch of clearance so it's not bad. I used Polk db651 (not the shallow type) and had no issues.
Sponsored