DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w])

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It happened to me. Just when coming on then it stabilizes.
True HIDs have Argon (I think) gas inside of them which ingnites to produce light. When they first come on, the gas take some time until it becomes fully lit
Sponsored

Arkbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
Okay good. I thought there might have been a potential issue with the set I bought. Love the lights, very bright.

marinerbc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Hello all, very nice ideas here and was wondering if anyone can help me with this , i hope to get the H8 PUTCO Nite-Lux found here
http://www.putco.com/products.cfm?a...Category=2d6754bd-9be8-c408-ae66-fd8037d1078d
but not sure if the fog housing can take those weave cloth heatsinks or at least part of it and maybe the back cover could be cut out ..?
my second best is this one http://www.putco.com/products.cfm?a...Category=2d6754bd-9be8-c408-ae66-fd8037d1078d
which is a direct replacment to the original H8 fog light bulbs, any feed back would be nice. thanks

jdubau55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T MSM
Country flag
I used the Kensun kit from Amazon. A little bit more, but Amazon returns and support are easy. So far so good on my Kensun kit. I had to return the first kit. Whether it was use install error or not I don't know, but they didn't work. The second kit worked fine. Very nice look. Matches nicely with the LED DRL. I think I bought the 5k ish color kit. When parked at night and turning on the car you can kind of notice the warm up period of maybe 5 to 10 seconds to get to full brightness. I used one zip tie on each side to secure them ballasts to the engine frame rails. There are screw tabs on each corner and then the wires come out in the middle so I ran one zip tie right next the the wires and between the screw tabs. Pretty secure and easy to remove. I put the stock bulbs in the nice briefcase style case that comes with the Kensun kit. I put that in the trunk in the event that I do have a bulb or ballast go out. Then I have the stock bulbs as spares to pull over and quickly swap to keep the 5 oh off my back. The headlight swap is super simple. Did it at work on break. I swapped in the yellow fog light bulbs which is a more at home job with tools. Took maybe 30 minutes to an hour total. The drivers side it pretty easy. The passenger side is a little tougher due to sight lines. Had to do that more on feel. If you put the car on ramps it's probably much easier. I did it in the driveway at stock height so it was much closer ground tolerances. Love the look of the HID and yellow fogs. Gives it a much more premium look at night I think and a much more well lit road IMHO. Maybe not any brighter so to speak, but the color of the light is closer to sunlight so I think it's easier to see instead of the yellow light a halogen produces.

McLovin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Even the HID lights don't match the LED accent lights, too blue... but the OEM halogens are too yellow... wondering what bulbs it'll take to a get the closest match in color to the LED accents which are more of a true white.

there is a thread on here i seen that had them. i bought the same bulbs and they match perfectly. xenondepot.com under led bulbs

bmm245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Coupe
Country flag
I gotta say, I absolutely hate those push pin things that Honda uses to hold the plastic pieces together. My small flat screwdriver couldn't get them, so I bought an interior panel removal tool set and still had trouble with them. The only luck I had was basically just a lucky shot after prying on them for awhile. Also, the fog lights on my Coupe seemed super tricky to pull loose. I got rained out so I'll have to try again another day, but this was a big pain I thought.

-Brian

BigHeroVince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXL
I just installed my headlight kit last night. I bought the "55w Kensun HID 5000k Digital Ballasts H11" off amazon.

Two questions for you guys:

Do you have to ground the white Ballasts? I zip tied them to my frame but they get kinda hot.

They are flickering whenever I hit a bump, is this normal? I had to reverse the polarity and I couldn't clip in the plug because of this. I electrical taped them to hold but I am thinking this is causing the issue.

2016 Civic EX-L - I have a replacement set on the way but I would love to know if I did it right. Thank you!

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just installed my headlight kit last night. I bought the "55w Kensun HID 5000k Digital Ballasts H11" off amazon.

Do you have to ground the white Ballasts? I zip tied them to my frame but they get kinda hot.

They are flickering whenever I hit a bump, is this normal? I had to reverse the polarity and I couldn't clip in the plug because of this. I electrical taped them to hold but I am thinking this is causing the issue.

2016 Civic EX-L - I have a replacement set on the way but I would love to know if I did it right. Thank you!
I zip tied my ballasts to the frame and they are working great. Have had them for about 3 months now. Every once in a while I will see the beam wiggle side to side when going over a bump. I think that's normal though. Can anyone confirm?

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase

it should all be plug and play, the only time you'd have to do anything other than a straight install is when putting a 55w ballast on a 35w wiring. Since the oem lights are 55w you should be able to just plug them in and go. flickering can be led to ballasts. Are they flickering on both sides? If it's just on one, try switching sides with the other and see if the flickering follows. If it does, you found your problem..the ballast. I don't even have my ballast tied down. I just have them set somewhere for now and made sure they were out of the way of any moving parts or wires.

CBR600F4i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
It's been a while OP, how are the lights holding up? Amazon reviews are mixed.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recently installed Xenon Depot Volt HIDs and now that I've got a good sense of what they look like with the stock fogs, I may do like @2slo4u and get the Nokia Hyper yellows to get better contrast.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w]) DKh80NWl

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone try the yellow tint on the fog lights? Seen some like that on ebay and it's way cheaper
Forgotten about that option. I remember some GTI owners doing that. Thanks.