DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w])

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
Brought home the car last night and wasted no time installing the HID head light bulb and the Yellow Foglight Light bulbs. The HID's are pretty straight forward so this is how I installed the fog light bulbs. Please do this at your own risk. I'd give his a 2 out of 10 on difficulty only because you do need some skill level to reach your hand up into the bumper and un-clip/clip the harness and turn the bulb in and out without looking at it. Use new/clean gloves or carefully try to not touch the bulb with your bare hands

The 2016 Civic Lx-ExL headlights use a H11 55w bulb so choose your HID or LED kit accordingly.

I used Nokia Hyper Yellow 2500k 35w H8 bulbs for the fog lights.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w]) 2016-civic-foglights1

First I took off the screw on the bumper.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w]) 2016-civic-foglights2

There are two push clips and a 10mm bolt holding part of the fender liner to the bumper. Remove them.

The ones to remove are circled in black. The yellow dot shows the finger holes you can use to press down on the liner when reinstalling the liner.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w]) 2016-civic-foglights3

Driver side-The fender liner can be pushed up to reach the fog light bulb. Take the harness off the bulb and carefully turn the bulb and remove it.

Passenger side- I found out that the windshield washer fluid prevented the fender liner to be pushed up so i had to pull the liner down instead which made it easier (I'm sure it can be done on the driver side too)

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w]) 2016-civic-foglights4

Reinstall in reverse order. EASY!

Before (all OEM)

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w]) 2016-civic-foglights5

After. 6000k HID kit 55w. and yellow bulb fog light bulbs.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w]) 2016-civic-hid-lights-foglights-jpe

I hope this helps everyone. If there are any questions please feel free to message me.

Last edited:

Shortbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Fit Blue Sensation
The HID headlights look awesome! Lose much light output at night with the 2500k bulbs?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Even the HID lights don't match the LED accent lights, too blue... but the OEM halogens are too yellow... wondering what bulbs it'll take to a get the closest match in color to the LED accents which are more of a true white.

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
Even the HID lights don't match the LED accent lights, too blue... but the OEM halogens are too yellow... wondering what bulbs it'll take to a get the closest match in color to the LED accents which are more of a true white.
OP probably picked this bluish bulb color on purpose for the look. I like it better than the yellow factory halogen bulbs.

These headlight bulbs look like 8000k or 10000k temperature (?).

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
I actually think it looks nice with a slight bluish hue to it. Either way it is 100x better than the yellow halogens and it goes well with the Modern Steel he's got. Nice write up OP, glad to see these babies being tinkered with already.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm leaning towards the DRL being 5k, yet the headlights on my touring I am certain are 6k.
You'll probably need to stick with LEDs rather than HIDs to get a exact match.

vleds has a couple good 5k vs 6k comparisons
http://www.vleds.com/led-color-temperature-differences
Nice! Thank you for this. I've seen quite a few LED kits online that have built in fans (for easier installation) that seem simple enough to swap out the old bulbs. Thinking the 5k is closer to the LEDs on the civic accent lights.

moeonline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
I used VLEDs 9006 unit in my 05 sedan, pretty easy. There is a controller box with it but its easier than HIDs imo. The light was more controllable as well which is important when you are dealing with just a reflector. I think the newer models have a quieter fan but I could hear it from inside the cabin if I turned the lights on while idling. not annoying, just was enough to tell that something switched on.

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies guys. the kit is a kit off ebay forgot the name, but it's a 6000k output. I just got the car last night so I haven't driven at night with the new set up yet but I will for sure give feedback tonight when I do.
I think the 5000k temp may match the white of the LED's more but then it's hard to say as well since 55w and 35w HID ballasts are different therefore the color output will be a little different. What may be 6000k on the 55w could be 5000k on the 35w ballast

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used VLEDs 9006 unit in my 05 sedan, pretty easy. There is a controller box with it but its easier than HIDs imo. The light was more controllable as well which is important when you are dealing with just a reflector. I think the newer models have a quieter fan but I could hear it from inside the cabin if I turned the lights on while idling. not annoying, just was enough to tell that something switched on.
I'm kind of ignorant about headlight stuff, especially LEDs. What was the controller box for? And where was it located?

crea78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Accord Sport, 2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Will the Philips color changing (4300 to 4700k) bulbs from XenonDepot be a close match with the DRLs?

I had those foglight bulbs on my 2008 Accord and one shattered inside the housing. 2slo4u, hope you have better luck then I did.

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life
Thanks for the replies guys. the kit is a kit off ebay forgot the name, but it's a 6000k output. I just got the car last night so I haven't driven at night with the new set up yet but I will for sure give feedback tonight when I do.
I think the 5000k temp may match the white of the LED's more but then it's hard to say as well since 55w and 35w HID ballasts are different therefore the color output will be a little different. What may be 6000k on the 55w could be 5000k on the 35w ballast
Nice first DIY. Easy one for owners to tackle too.

Definitely looks more blue than most 6000k HID bulbs I've seen, but it may be the camera too. 5000k is supposed to be pure white, but depends on the ballast like you said, and sometimes the manufacturer too since you see some slight variations between same temperature bulbs from different makers.

Woulda been cool to see one factory bulb and one aftermarket bulb fitted at the same time to get a direct comparison. But this looks good nonetheless! What's next for mods?

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
here are some pictures I took of the light color output. They are definitely more blue than the LEDs..but..depending on the angle you're looking at the car, they do match. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w]) 20151130_151131
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w]) 20151130_151138
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w]) 20151130_151213
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w]) 20151130_151348
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Fog Light bulb install (also installed HID headlight bulbs [H11 55w]) 20151130_151936

as you can see, sometimes bluish color sometimes more white.

as for other plans..I have a few. hopefully figure out the bov/bpv situation (if we even have one? ) ..coilovers, 18 inch wheels (or 19s if I want to go VIP), waiting on a nice lip kit, freer flowing charge piping . This is my girlfriends daily driver so I don't want to go too crazy on it but because I'll be driving it sometimes too I don't want to roll around stock

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
here are some pictures I took of the light color output. They are definitely more blue than the LEDs..but..depending on the angle you're looking at the car, they do match. I'll let the pictures do the talking.
20151130_151131.jpg
20151130_151138.jpg
20151130_151213.jpg
20151130_151348.jpg
20151130_151936.jpg

as you can see, sometimes bluish color sometimes more white.

as for other plans..I have a few. hopefully figure out the bov/bpv situation (if we even have one? ) ..coilovers, 18 inch wheels (or 19s if I want to go VIP), waiting on a nice lip kit, freer flowing charge piping . This is my girlfriends daily driver so I don't want to go too crazy on it but because I'll be driving it sometimes too I don't want to roll around stock
Man that looks a lot better than the factory halogens!

How are the headlight bulbs swapped out? Pretty much just reach behind the headlights and twist out?
Sponsored