DIY: Coupe Car Hook Install - Slightly Tougher And Without the Rivet Nut

MtnBikeAZ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I wanted to install cargo hooks in the trunk of my Si coupe, but Honda doesn't make it easy since they didn't put the right holes in the coupe like they do in the sedan. First I want to give credit to the folks that posted in this excellent thread: https://www.civicx.com/threads/diy-trunk-cargo-hook-install-without-using-the-rivet-nut.1414/page-2
So why another thread? First, the other thread is older and the picture with the correct hole circled in the coupe's trunk doesn't show up anymore. Second, I had some time on a rainy afternoon to be a little more creative with the install - I wanted to ensure the hook couldn't twist in the mount with usage.
1. Here's the correct hole to use on either side of the light, it's the one you can see the fender washer with two holes in.
2. I used the "thick" 1/4" x 1-1/2" fender washer as opposed to the thin fender washers.
3. Thread the bolt that comes with the kit thru the cargo hook, then thru the fender washer. Mark the place where the little "nub" on the cargo hook that keeps it from spinning hits the fender washer.
4. Drill a hole in the fender washer at the marked location.
5. Test fit the cargo hook to the washer.
6. Put the Spring Washer on the bolt and then the Large washer (both from the kit) and thread through the cargo hook so its ready to install.
7. The hole in the fender washer keeps the hook from turning, but I wanted to ensure the fender washer couldn't turn so I put some all purpose adhesive on the fender washer to keep it from turning. This type of adhesive takes about 5 minutes to set up which gives you time to finish the install.
8. Place the fender washer behind the correct hole as shown in the earlier photo.
9. I used a M6 x 40 Keps nut which has the built in star washer to keep the nut from rotating loose. Tape it to your 10mm wrench.
10. Put the wrench thru the slotted hole in the trunk and line up with the center hole in the fender washer.
11. Start the cargo hook bolt, once it catches, line up the washer so that the small hole you drilled faces the back of the car (as it would if Honda had given us the right holes).
12. Tighten down bolt before the adhesive sets. Remember to remove your wrench.
13. Laugh as you throw away Honda's Rivet Nut! :spaz:
14. Go shopping and use those new cargo hooks!

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Coupe Car Hook Install - Slightly Tougher And Without the Rivet Nut IMG_7839

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Coupe Car Hook Install - Slightly Tougher And Without the Rivet Nut IMG_7835

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Coupe Car Hook Install - Slightly Tougher And Without the Rivet Nut IMG_7836

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Coupe Car Hook Install - Slightly Tougher And Without the Rivet Nut IMG_7849

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Coupe Car Hook Install - Slightly Tougher And Without the Rivet Nut IMG_7846

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Coupe Car Hook Install - Slightly Tougher And Without the Rivet Nut IMG_7847

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Coupe Car Hook Install - Slightly Tougher And Without the Rivet Nut IMG_7838

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Coupe Car Hook Install - Slightly Tougher And Without the Rivet Nut IMG_7841

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Coupe Car Hook Install - Slightly Tougher And Without the Rivet Nut IMG_7842

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Coupe Car Hook Install - Slightly Tougher And Without the Rivet Nut IMG_7848

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I wonder if they changed something on the Si's or the 2018's.

My LX Coupe has the mounting points for the cargo hooks, and you can even get them installed by putting your finger into a hole and bracing the nut from the back (it's a very long stretch but it's doable).

The location is farther back in the trunk though, probably at about the half-way point from the trunk opening to the seats.

We're the ones buying groceries though!