Disabling Smart Entry

civicArrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Long time lurker since day 1 of the CTR but first time registering and post tonight. Apologies, as I'm not sure if this belongs in the interior mods section. Is there a way to disable Smart Entry for the door handles but leave it for the ignition? There appears to be nothing in the options or settings about it. Pulling fuse 30 for Smart Entry kills the ability for the CTR to read the fob for the ignition but not the doors. Any ideas?
Sponsored

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #680 CW, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Don't remember if there is an option to turn it off completely, i know you can select if it unlocks just the drivers door or all the doors though. Curious why you would want this off?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I don’t think this is what you’re looking for but...if you have the car set to auto lock the doors, just pop the hood as soon as you shut it off. Like that, the doors won’t auto lock until next key cycle!

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
You can put the keyfob in a RF shielding bag or disconnect the door handle sensor plug.

OP
OP

civicArrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Thanks for the quick replies. Typical RF bags aren't made too well and all of them seem to degrade over time. I'm looking for a option that allows me to not have to fumble making things more difficult. I was hoping for an easier solution but unplugging the door handle sensor plug maybe the best option unless there is some other electronic means. Is there any diagram that you are aware of or instructions and had to disconnect that? Or are there electronic leads that I may mess up as a result of doing this? I'm not sure how integrated it is versus a simple plug to detach. Any other options would be most welcome.

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the quick replies. Typical RF bags aren't made too well and all of them seem to degrade over time. I'm looking for a option that allows me to not have to fumble making things more difficult. I was hoping for an easier solution but unplugging the door handle sensor plug maybe the best option unless there is some other electronic means. Is there any diagram that you are aware of or instructions and had to disconnect that? Or are there electronic leads that I may mess up as a result of doing this? I'm not sure how integrated it is versus a simple plug to detach. Any other options would be most welcome.
Well only thing is with the door sensor unplugged there are still more sensors that may or may not still function when the one in the system is unplugged. Are you only not wanting the car to unlock when your fingers touch the back of the door handle, or disable the whole unlock function with the proximity of the remote? If its the latter then you need both door sensors and the back sensor for the hatch.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well only thing is with the door sensor unplugged there are still more sensors that may or may not still function when the one in the system is unplugged. Are you only not wanting the car to unlock when your fingers touch the back of the door handle, or disable the whole unlock function with the proximity of the remote? If its the latter then you need both door sensors and the back sensor for the hatch.
Interesting, the Fk8 has proximity detection?
The fk2 does not have that. The Fk2 does not unlock the door or hatch when the remote is close by. It will only unlock when you touch the inside of the door handle or press the unlock switch at the rear hatch.

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting, the Fk8 has proximity detection?
The fk2 does not have that. The Fk2 does not unlock the door or hatch when the remote is close by. It will only unlock when you touch the inside of the door handle or press the unlock switch at the rear hatch.
Yep it does and because of this you can also use auto lock. So then when you walk 5ish feet away from the car is locks itself, which is a feature i love. I never have to push a single button. Touch handle to unlock as i pull on it and just close the doors and walk away and it locks.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep it does and because of this you can also use auto lock. So then when you walk 5ish feet away from the car is locks itself, which is a feature i love. I never have to push a single button. Touch handle to unlock as i pull on it and just close the doors and walk away and it locks.
Will it also unlock when you walk back to the car? Or is it only a lock function when walking away?

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Will it also unlock when you walk back to the car? Or is it only a lock function when walking away?
Wont unlock again until you touch the handle, latch button, or push the button on the remote. Only a lock function when walking away.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wont unlock again until you touch the handle, latch button, or push the button on the remote. Only a lock function when walking away.
In that case unplugging or disabling the door handle sensor is exactly what the topic starter wants. And ofcourse that switch in the hatch.
I think I want this too.

Vortexhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM Civic Type R GT #10432
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In that case unplugging or disabling the door handle sensor is exactly what the topic starter wants.
I think I want this too.
Someone mentioned this before: the boot will still open when touched if the key (or a repeater) is in proximity, so if you want to have button-only operation you would need to disable the boot button too, also, I haven't checked if the passenger door has a sensor too, so good idea to check that :p

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Someone mentioned this before: the boot will still open when touched if the key (or a repeater) is in proximity, so if you want to have button-only operation you would need to disable the boot button too, also, I haven't checked if the passenger door has a sensor too, so good idea to check that :p
There are sensors that will sense the fob and unlock doors at the drivers side door, passenger side door (will unlock all doors & hatch if activated), and hatch.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There are sensors that will sense the fob and unlock doors at the drivers side door, passenger side door (will unlock all doors & hatch if activated), and hatch.
If I understand the system correctly, the system does not sense the fob directly for unlocking (for locking, it does). So, there are capacitive sensors in door handles (and hatch handle), when touched the system will send a signal to the fob and the fob will respond with a coded unlock command.
So, without those capacitive sensors it will not unlock doors. Except when you press the unlock button on the fob.
A thief cannot trigger that signal from car to fob, so that relay attack will not work.

About the locking sensing: if you leave the key near the car and you don't lock the car, it might drain the fob battery, because the car will keep sending signals to the fob periodically and the fob will answer to let the car know the distance between car and fob. It is called the RSSI of the signal.
Because using RSSI can be easily hacked by amplifying the signal, we (semiconductor company) are working on Bluetooth time of flight method to determine the distance. :)
Sponsored

Last edited: