RazorHwk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport - Red
Country flag
Hello, I am sure there has been a post where this is explained, but I have now searched this forum for an hour and I cant find it. Can anyone tell me how to disable the auto-down window feature from the key fob? I am sick of finding my car open overnight, often with snow or rain on the seats. It seems that my sitting motion is perfect to activate this feature.

If an admin wants to message me the thread with this information, and then delete this thread, I understand.
Sponsored

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
I have disabled it, but it ain't for the feint of heart. I've installed 2x DEI 535T's in my civic with a microcontroller on BCAN.

Basically this is what I get now:
On factory arming (validated from BCAN network), all windows roll up. The car after rollup ignores the switch contacts of the window controller because the GWA wire is still active until a door actually opens.

I now have one-touch on all windows (not using OEM one-touch, which is actually bypassed)

The windows can be opened whether the car is running or not. (Previously, on remote starts, this is NEVER possible to roll down windows (keyfob) or up (key) when car is remote started, or generally just running.

If you see those chinese modules on fleabay or alibaba that auto close, they just toggle the door wires, again, only if the engine is off. My setup, can open or close even on remote starts, and probably during rain sensing if I ever find the data in canbus stream .

When I say feint of heart, I mean it takes a few mods and lots of patience to get there. The new door systems, (I prefer the 9th gens, they never had window regulator issues), require a mod to bypass the polyfuse, so the 535T can detect the stall current. Lets get one thing straight. The rear window modules are on a dummy circuit. The main or door switches just feed a constant power even at fully up or down positions. This is NOT good for OEM design, so while they cheaped out of an OEM circuit for stall current like the 9th gens, they decided to throw a polyfuse in parallel to absorb the current until it heats up and temporarily cuts all power to the motor until it resets back when cooled. Ever wonder why the rear windows don't work sometimes for a couple minutes? It's the cheap design. Luckily the polyfuse can be bridged, contacts are about 1 inch apart. The front windows require also 3 of the 6 motor wires (signals) to be depinned which disables OEM one touch but enabled 535T one touch.

The sunroof (not done yet) talks on a network as the 2 front doors. There is NO physical wiring to toggle them. This made is harder to do the front doors since they are not triggered over FCAN or BCAN, and I have no idea if they are behind another gateway CAN or using some other type of COMMS. Anyways, all 4 doors require mods and patience.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
What hardware are you using to communicate on the CAN bus? What software are you using to figure out the CAN bus messages?

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What hardware are you using to communicate on the CAN bus? What software are you using to figure out the CAN bus messages?
I am using a Teensy 4.0 with skpang's triple CAN breakout board. BCAN and FCAN are wired in. As far as the setup, here goes:

Programming in C++ I wrote the following feature:

There are 3 CANIDs I am using for comparisons.

During a keyfob lock or factory arm walk away, all windows roll up. Door lock buttons do not affect this (I didn't want door locks to roll up windows, obviously).

Next, on disarm after factory arm, continue ignoring windows switches until takeover is done, (ACC or START), then deassert the GWA line to 535Ts. Until the ACC+ is activated, factory arm was already set before so now it blocks OEM fob from rolling down windows.

Now, if the engine is running, the keyfob plays dead. However! I have an idatastart that works even when engine is running, I can lock doors for pitstop mode! So, when I lock with Idatastart remote, windows roll up while doors lock in pitstop mode.

Next, while engine is running, I also programmed this feature:

If using the physical key, holding it in lock or unlock position for more than a second causes a roll up and roll down, respectively, up until you let go. OEM doesn't allow you to roll up or down when engine is running.

It came out pretty well. ?

I am still working on the code, like making my own keyfob button sequence codes for window down/up, like an example, tapping start start start unlock, to vent a few inches all windows. Yes, this is possible :)

Or start unlock start start as an example, to turn on LEDs, anything is possible

Last edited:

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am using a Teensy 4.0 with skpang's triple CAN breakout board. BCAN and FCAN are wired in. As far as the setup, here goes:

Programming in C++ I wrote the following feature:

There are 3 CANIDs I am using for comparisons.

During a keyfob lock or factory arm walk away, all windows roll up. Door lock buttons do not affect this (I didn't want door locks to roll up windows, obviously).

Next, on disarm after factory arm, continue ignoring windows switches until takeover is done, (ACC or START), then deassert the GWA line to 535Ts. Until the ACC+ is activated, factory arm was already set before so now it blocks OEM fob from rolling down windows.

Now, if the engine is running, the keyfob plays dead. However! I have an idatastart that works even when engine is running, I can lock doors for pitstop mode! So, when I lock with Idatastart remote, windows roll up while doors lock in pitstop mode.

Next, while engine is running, I also programmed this feature:

If using the physical key, holding it in lock or unlock position for more than a second causes a roll up and roll down, respectively, up until you let go. OEM doesn't allow you to roll up or down when engine is running.

It came out pretty well. ?

I am still working on the code, like making my own keyfob button sequence codes for window down/up, like an example, tapping start start start unlock, to vent a few inches all windows. Yes, this is possible :)

Or start unlock start start as an example, to turn on LEDs, anything is possible

I was thinking about a project using the CAN bus, but I wasn't positive that I could do what I wanted that way. What I wanted to do was to honk the horn when the car was locked since I can't hear the piezo beeper a lot of the time. In the end I decided on a more direct approach that I knew would work and wouldn't require the learning curve of CAN bus approach.

Here's what I came up with (starting at post 5):
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/anyone-changed-lock-alert-beep-into-honk.39970/

So now I'm just mostly curious, do you know if there are CAN messages to determine if the doors are locked by remote and by walk away lock feature, and is there a CAN message you can send to then honk the horn?

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The horn wire is located at the BCM along with BCAN lines. A logic mosfet could do what you wanted with microcontroller and horn but no I havn't checked if horn is on CAN. It probably is if the panic on kehfob is activating it. Yes door statuses, locks, keyfob, handle and key cylinder are on canbus BCAN. FCAN goes silent after car shuts off, BCAN has data streaming whenever the BCM is being accessed by any attached peripherals (doors, fobs, etc). All the 535T useful data is on BCAN, not FCAN at OBD port, I have access to both BCAM and FCAN though on one MCU, makes tweaking easier

No need to access the horn relay, a ground signal to BCM horn pin honks the horn, a logic mosfet is all you need with a 10k ohm resistor (unless I find a signal on CANbus... Then I will confirm)

Last edited:

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yup, I found the HORN on CAN. No wiring needed. It's on BCAN. I can now beep horn when locking the car. :)

I can now flash the side markers, front lights, and horn independantly. Yay canbus!

Last edited:

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yup, I found the HORN on CAN. No wiring needed. It's on BCAN. I can now beep horn when locking the car. :)

I can now flash the side markers, front lights, and horn independantly. Yay canbus!

Cool! ?

At some point can you post all the CAN messages you’ve figured out? Most of what I’ve been able to find online is for FCAN.

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Cool! ?

At some point can you post all the CAN messages you’ve figured out? Most of what I’ve been able to find online is for FCAN.
You can find some bcan info at csouers github repo for civic, in opendbc repo, however they won't contain my findings, I have a sniffer code I wrote thats not public, took me 5 minutes to find the horn CANID, and maybe 15 minutes of fuzzing it because theres actually 4 bits involved. I figured them out what each bit was, which allowed me to control 3 different circuits with an enable bit. Its pretty crazy the things I do ??

In my decoder sketch I see all CANIDs in numerical order on portrait mode with small fonts, theres more than 65 IDs on BCAN so we need to see complete list, in numerical order to prevent screen scrolling. The only things we see changing on the screen is relevant data next to the IDs. What my sketch does is once you spotted an ID shifting with, a button, or whatever your activating, I type in "S3" for third visual screen output, which shows a replay list of all the previous IDs. Select the ID in numerical order listed, ex "R3" for a replay screen of the 3rd listed ID. Now, the final screen I setup queues 32 last frames of that ID. To replay that list, finally type "RA400", where RA designates replay all, at 400ms per frame. Once the horn started honking, I knew I found the ID :)

The inlined replay attacks take alot of guess work out and help find things easier, so when we implement it in code we know what the frame should look like data-wise

Honda Civic 10th gen Disable Auto-down windows from Key Fob 1576174819062-1.JPEG

CAN1 is BCAN, CAN2 is FCAN. 12V powered breakout board can run independantly after programmed. BCAN is wired to BCM, FCAN at OBD (all hardwired of course).

I never bothered with the horn honking on lock till you asked me if it was possible so I found it pretty fast using my laptop on a pretty dead street so people wouldn't complain during horn testing lol

Last edited:

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the info, I’m getting inspired to mess around with it.

Another idea I had was hands free LKAS. Look for CAN message that initiates the “Steering Required” warning and then command a small amount of steering input.

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the info, I’m getting inspired to mess around with it.

Another idea I had was hands free LKAS. Look for CAN message that initiates the “Steering Required” warning and then command a small amount of steering input.
Thats already done with openpilot if one has it, if not, you can implement it via CAN

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Found the hood switch on canbus. Even though our cars don't show it on the cluster, it exists on BCAN.

This is actually useful because keyless walkaway doesn't work if hood is open, so could always setup a notification or beep after a certain period to let you know the hood is open

Heck, adding a gps to the MCU with timestamping you could automatically choose when to use the horn vs piezo for locking. 1:30am for example wouldnt use the horn, but during the day it would. The GPS is good for location purposes, in case you live in a quiet neighborhood, only piezo would work, but anywhere else, horn works.

Last edited:

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Found the hood switch on canbus. Even though our cars don't show it on the cluster, it exists on BCAN.

This is actually useful because keyless walkaway doesn't work if hood is open, so could always setup a notification or beep after a certain period to let you know the hood is open

Heck, adding a gps to the MCU with timestamping you could automatically choose when to use the horn vs piezo for locking. 1:30am for example wouldnt use the horn, but during the day it would. The GPS is good for location purposes, in case you live in a quiet neighborhood, only piezo would work, but anywhere else, horn works.
Just so you know what I did, I trickle toggled the horn via messages to create 2 subtle honks that are sort of like blips. The horn was kind of loud as a single fire but I was able to control the tone with timed message framing, here is the result:

Yes I put 2 tones for locked response, maybe I should change it to 1 for armed and 2 tones for disarm... It turned out well irregardless :)

Video 2 shows the addition of pitstop mode to my idatastart remote, which would roll up windows, lock doors, and beep twice

Last edited:

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I figured out how to block keyfob rolldowns from CAN. Although I don't use it, I have a different setup. Now I can use power windows and sunroof even if car is off, even if door is open. They disengage when factory armed. The moment I unlock the car, the window modules wake up and all the switches work :)
Sponsored