First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi All,
Has anyone looked into preventing dirt /water droplets forming under our doors on top of the bottom skirt?
My sonic grey has these large dirt spots forming on that skirt lip. Seems Honda would have noticed it?
Sponsored

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi All,
Has anyone looked into preventing dirt /water droplets forming under our doors on top of the bottom skirt?
My sonic grey has these large dirt spots forming on that skirt lip. Seems Honda would have noticed it?
This is how I deal with it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dirt under doors 41K2MSDZYAL
Honda Civic 10th gen Dirt under doors 24pk-pi

OP
OP
Fountainhead

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Lol I get that....same way I do, but my question still stands. Is there any method to prevent/lessen the build up?
Perhaps mudflaps would help, I don’t know.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the source of the water comes from the gap between the front and rear door window frame and channels down. IIRC, there's rubber seals at the bottom and sides of the door frames to keep out the water.

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
Yep, can't really avoid it, best bet is to keep a microfiber in the car with a quick detail spray/waterless wash or even just water.

When you wash the car, make sure to open the doors and dry out the door jambs too, otherwise you could have soapy water that drips down onto the skirt later as it dries.

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
Hi All,
I know what you mean, looks even worse on championship white

I've sort of given up trying to keep them clean (you could keep a bottle of waterless wash in the car and wipe it down every time you get in and out of the car but that seems miserable)

I've thought of ceramic coating that area but I am concerned you'd get bad water spotting especially if water droplets sit there for a prolonged period of time

You could do a very heavy application of something like Beadmaker but I think just from the design, it's always going to be a magnet for dirt and water accumulation.

I just make sure to clean it thoroughly during the weekly wash

OP
OP
Fountainhead

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

I've sort of given up trying to keep them clean (you could keep a bottle of waterless wash in the car and wipe it down every time you get in and out of the car but that seems miserable)

I've thought of ceramic coating that area but I am concerned you'd get bad water spotting especially if water droplets sit there for a prolonged period of time

You could do a very heavy application of something like Beadmaker but I think just from the design, it's always going to be a magnet for dirt and water accumulation.

Just wish I could figure out some clever way to prevent the dirt/dust washing up on that shelf...

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

I did a ceramic coating of the whole car and made sure I did a good job on those bottom door jambs. I also added front mud flaps. Basically because these things are horizontal they will always collect and keep some dirts. I clean this part of the car A LOT. The ceramic (G-Techniq Lite) and front flaps were both worthwhile purchases, but that gunk is just going to get there all the time when the road or weather is wet.

The ceramic treatment DOES make whatever is on the car wipe right off super easy. Nothing sticks.

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
I did a ceramic coating of the whole car and made sure I did a good job on those bottom door jambs. I also added front mud flaps. Basically because these things are horizontal they will always collect and keep some dirts. I clean this part of the car A LOT. The ceramic (G-Techniq Lite) and front flaps were both worthwhile purchases, but that gunk is just going to get there all the time when the road or weather is wet.

The ceramic treatment DOES make whatever is on the car wipe right off super easy. Nothing sticks.
Thanks for letting us know!

How has your experience been with ceramic treatment and water spotting in general? I keep reading that water spots can be a big problem for ceramic coated cars.

I unfortunately have to park my car outdoors so it gets splattered all the time via rain / sprinkler system / etc.

For that reason, I've forgone ceramic coating for now and use a combo of Powerlock / Collinite / Beadmaker. It doesn't bead water as well (although I would argue it's close) and it certainly doesn't last as long (which I also don't mind since I enjoy washing / waxing the vehicle)

I sadly keep forgetting to address the door jamb areas so I'll have to focus on that (I tend to use a LOT of Beadmaker weekly on the car almost everywhere else but keep forgetting the jambs)

OP
OP
Fountainhead

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for letting us know!

How has your experience been with ceramic treatment and water spotting in general? I keep reading that water spots can be a big problem for ceramic coated cars.

I unfortunately have to park my car outdoors so it gets splattered all the time via rain / sprinkler system / etc.

For that reason, I've forgone ceramic coating for now and use a combo of Powerlock / Collinite / Beadmaker. It doesn't bead water as well (although I would argue it's close) and it certainly doesn't last as long (which I also don't mind since I enjoy washing / waxing the vehicle)

I sadly keep forgetting to address the door jamb areas so I'll have to focus on that (I tend to use a LOT of Beadmaker weekly on the car almost everywhere else but keep forgetting the jambs)
At work I have to cope with mowers, wet green grass blowing-I park a mile away fro any mown spots that day-at home twice a week sprinklers and our FL water is like a mineral sludge, horrible water spots you can actually feel! I use mcguires hybrid ceramic wax but nothing keeps the spots from drying with a white mineral circle.... I just try and keep up with it....
Sponsored